I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Alex Legg
Company Details: Cloned Reality
Company Position Title: Senior Developer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Leica VR software or plugin?

Post by MrLeggo »

Hi all,

I'm brand new to LiDAR scanning and doing some research for my company, as this is an area we are moving into. Ideally we want to take LiDAR data and use the point cloud in VR on a tethered headset (PC). They are keen on using Leica scanners.

I've been reading the forums and it seems that Leica used to have a module, called Cyclone Model VR Viewer. I can no longer find this anywhere, so can only assume it was discontinued (or merged). Does anyone still use it or know what happened?

From my research it currently looks like Faro Scene and Veesus Arena4D are my best options.
geomontgomery
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: George Montgomery
Company Details: ECE Design
Company Position Title: Support Manager

Re: Leica VR software or plugin?

Post by geomontgomery »

Cyclone Model VR viewer still exists, but to create the viewer files (CVR format) it uses a publishing license, and that license is called "Cylone Model VR Publisher."

Keep in mind the difference between a model viewer and a point cloud viewer during your research. Cyclone Model VR viewer does not show the point cloud in VR, only 3D models that were created inside Cyclone. Not sure if others also work this way as well.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

geomontgomery wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:16 pm Cyclone Model VR viewer still exists, but to create the viewer files (CVR format) it uses a publishing license, and that license is called "Cylone Model VR Publisher."

Keep in mind the difference between a model viewer and a point cloud viewer during your research. Cyclone Model VR viewer does not show the point cloud in VR, only 3D models that were created inside Cyclone. Not sure if others also work this way as well.
Cyclone MODEL VR actually was discontinued recently.

@MrLeggo - email me ([email protected]) - let's talk!
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sim.herrod »

MrLeggo wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:32 am Hi all,

I'm brand new to LiDAR scanning and doing some research for my company, as this is an area we are moving into. Ideally we want to take LiDAR data and use the point cloud in VR on a tethered headset (PC). They are keen on using Leica scanners.

I've been reading the forums and it seems that Leica used to have a module, called Cyclone Model VR Viewer. I can no longer find this anywhere, so can only assume it was discontinued (or merged). Does anyone still use it or know what happened?

From my research it currently looks like Faro Scene and Veesus Arena4D are my best options.
We use Veesus Arena4D for all our point cloud VR work. We process Faro scan data in Cyclone, export an .e57, convert to Veesus .vpc, then open that in Arena4D.

Drop them an email, they offer trials.
MrLeggo
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by MrLeggo »

Thank you everyone for the replies, the emails went into my spam, so I've only just see them.

I also contact Leica directly - who passed me to their local agent here in NZ. I was told that Model VR was discontinued, with the alternative being to create our own in Unity or Unreal (which is actually fine and what we are also looking at, as we are a small group of AR/VR devs), and that Context Capture was a popular product (although that doesn't really do what we need).

@geomontgomery thanks for the clarification. Determining if they can display Point Clouds in VR and not just meshes is the next line of investigation.

@pburrows145 thanks Paul, I'll send an email.

@sim.herrod that workflow is similar to what I was thinking would be the way to go. E57 and Arena4D. Out of curiosity, why do you use Cyclone over Faro Scene (as you are using a Faro scanner)?
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager

Post by sim.herrod »

MrLeggo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:47 am
@sim.herrod that workflow is similar to what I was thinking would be the way to go. E57 and Arena4D. Out of curiosity, why do you use Cyclone over Faro Scene (as you are using a Faro scanner)?
We used to have Leica scanners, and have always used Cyclone.

When we got the S150, we tried SCENE and really didn't like it.

Cyclone just seems to work 'better' in our opinion. I'm sure others may disagree, which is fair enough.

The Leica support is also easier for us. We can phone the HDS support team and have an answer in minutes, as opposed to having to email Faro in Germany and then wait an unknown time for an emailed response which may not fix the issue. Faro support are always helpful, but it just takes too long when you're in the middle of a job.
MrLeggo
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by MrLeggo »

Thanks Sim, good to know.
VeesusMae
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mark Estcourt
Company Details: Veesus Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Skype Name: Veesus.mae

Post by VeesusMae »

MrLeggo wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:32 am Hi all,

Hi, happy to support you with Arena4D if you haven't already tried it @MrLeggo.
Mark
sariug
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Ugurcan Sari
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Software Engineer

Post by sariug »

You can export to E57, import it in SCENE, generate Project Point Cloud, and view it in VR.

I can help if you have any questions and problems.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”