Why can't we launch mutiple recap on windows?? (rant)

Discuss Autodesk ReCap Studio software here.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Why can't we launch mutiple recap on windows?? (rant)

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Just need to vent this out.

I used to run multiple recap at once on windows 7. I would launch prime 94, saturated the ram and cpu and run a .bat scrip that would execute at the same time multiple instances of recap. It only worked on windows 7, I could get as many recap as I wanted open with this glitch. IT WORKED FINE.

Why can't we run multiple recap at once? its the only reason why I have 4 computers to my name is to launch multiple RCP / rcs at once. I often leave for a day and would love to have some pc run multiple instances. As I said before I used to do this in windows 7 and it worked fine but I shouldn't have to glitch the hell out of the software or use a virtual machine (but seriously I might try the VM , idk if a VM can accès the same network drive tough)

rant over :P

edit ; reason I am eager about this, I have a 2800 scan project that I need to convert to rcp and .rcs files...it totals about 30 different rcp/rcs I need to launch. I understand the limits for RCS export with multiple instances but the RCP part worked fine
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Why can't we launch mutiple recap on windows?? (rant)

Post by badam »

you can create multiple users, don't need a vm. just go to lock scren login to another and open a recap.

in the near future i have to convert ~6500 setup, i just hope it won't take a
month to convert...

PS: The decap.exe (commandline recap) works in multiple instance? i've never tried that.
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Mika Jahkola
Company Details: Myymore Oy
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by mikajahkola »

You will run into licensing problems if you run Recap as multiple users simultaneously, or on multiple computers as the same user.
Autodesk will come back to you afterwards and ask you to buy one 3-year licence for every concurrent unlicenced copy you had been running.
Guess how I know :oops:
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

mikajahkola wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:33 am You will run into licensing problems if you run Recap as multiple users simultaneously, or on multiple computers as the same user.
Autodesk will come back to you afterwards and ask you to buy one 3-year licence for every concurrent unlicenced copy you had been running.
Guess how I know :oops:
I think we have over 1000+ recap pro licenses in my company.

But what I am trying to do does not require a pro license...you can do it with the basic recap that is free to use so licensing should not be an issue for anyone.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

badam wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:03 am you can create multiple users, don't need a vm. just go to lock scren login to another and open a recap.
This works surprisingly well. I do feel it uses a little more cpu than running them in parallel since you have to run multiple windows (and all the background apps) at once as well. But solves my issue for the short term of wanting to launch 2-3 or 4 recap on one PC and let that run for they day. It is annoying having to switch between users but its a solution for the time being
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:56 pm
badam wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:03 am you can create multiple users, don't need a vm. just go to lock scren login to another and open a recap.
This works surprisingly well. I do feel it uses a little more cpu than running them in parallel since you have to run multiple windows (and all the background apps) at once as well. But solves my issue for the short term of wanting to launch 2-3 or 4 recap on one PC and let that run for they day. It is annoying having to switch between users but its a solution for the time being
have you tried the decap console line app? it can be found in the recap installation folder.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

badam wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:58 pm have you tried the decap console line app? it can be found in the recap installation folder.
That looks amazing! I found a youtube video explaining how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_axNiC1cI&t=4s

It really looks great but sadly It does not fit my current workflow...I apply a distance filter, 1% intensity filter and 3mm decimation when creating the .RCP ...decap doesn't seam to give you those options :(
Raimund58
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Raimund Klink
Company Details: IHM engineering GmbH
Company Position Title: 3d scanning guy

Post by Raimund58 »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:10 am That looks amazing! I found a youtube video explaining how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_axNiC1cI&t=4s

It really looks great but sadly It does not fit my current workflow...I apply a distance filter, 1% intensity filter and 3mm decimation when creating the .RCP ...decap doesn't seam to give you those options :(

Only the intensity filter seems to be missing. But I use Recap 2021, maybe 2022 is supporting it?

Code: Select all

PS C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk ReCap> .\decap.exe --help
options:
        --minRangeClipping <min clipping>
                Set the minimum for range clipping.  Points located outside the clipping range are discarded.
        --maxRangeClipping <max clipping>
                Set the maximum for range clipping.  Points located outside the clipping range are discarded.
        --decimation <decimation value mm>
                Set the decimation value which is used to reduce the number of points in your project.
        --unify
                Enables unification of input scans into a single output scan.
        --normalizeIntensity <0|1>
                Turn intensity normalization on/off (off = 0, on = 1).
        --currentCoordinateSystem <cs>
                Coordinate system of raw data to be imported (default is no coordinate system)
        --targetCoordinateSystem <cs>
                Desired coordinate system of resulting project (defaults to currentCoordinateSystem if not specified)
\o/

Return to “Autodesk ReCap Studio”