Register 360 - Point Cloud Processing Bug???

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Kruse
Company Details: Hensel Phelps - Construction
Company Position Title: VDC Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Register 360 - Point Cloud Processing Bug???

Post by Kruse »

I'm seeing this weird bug in Register 360 and how it seems to process the point cloud. I don't know how to really explain it other than to show you the images, attached. It's especially noticeable when you're in the setup view and looking at a Hue Intensity point cloud on with the HDR image on. The attached images show several examples. This issue has been present from the day we bought the scanner, but seems to be worse at times and better on others, but still present in nearly every single dataset to some capacity. I've tried FW versions 3 to 5 and it's always been visible, although the High Tilt Accuracy mode of the scanner does seem to help minimize these lines/changes in the elevation mapping.

Those striations seen in the point cloud overlay with the imagery are truly there (not some graphics card settings or update) because when you do some elevation mapping with CloudWorx or Recap, those striations are still present. When I pull a slice through the cloud at the striations, you can still see the change/step in the point cloud (typically around 1/16" of elevation change) which affects how the point cloud is colorized when using elevation mapping.

Those striations do occur on all surfaces, but are especially visible when viewing large, flat, even surfaces. Just curious if anyone else has seen this issue before or knows what the cause might be. Our RTC 360 is less than 1 year old and I complete a check and adjust procedure about once every other month, and this issue is still always present. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would be really curious to see if this issue is repeatable in someone else's software/scanner to at least verify I'm not alone in this issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SlavikusAstana
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Vyacheslav Yurchenko
Company Details: ST-Vision
Company Position Title: Technical Director
Skype Name: Slavikus_Astana

Re: Register 360 - Point Cloud Processing Bug???

Post by SlavikusAstana »

download the station where you have such strips, drop them on the file hosting service, we will check it at ourselves.
Laser scanning, panoramic shooting
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Construction and Engineering
Company Position Title: RealityCapture
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by ericguizzetti »

Just curious are you running your scanner on hi res? Black/White or Color?

Kruse wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:57 pm I'm seeing this weird bug in Register 360 and how it seems to process the point cloud. I don't know how to really explain it other than to show you the images, attached. It's especially noticeable when you're in the setup view and looking at a Hue Intensity point cloud on with the HDR image on. The attached images show several examples. This issue has been present from the day we bought the scanner, but seems to be worse at times and better on others, but still present in nearly every single dataset to some capacity. I've tried FW versions 3 to 5 and it's always been visible, although the High Tilt Accuracy mode of the scanner does seem to help minimize these lines/changes in the elevation mapping.

Those striations seen in the point cloud overlay with the imagery are truly there (not some graphics card settings or update) because when you do some elevation mapping with CloudWorx or Recap, those striations are still present. When I pull a slice through the cloud at the striations, you can still see the change/step in the point cloud (typically around 1/16" of elevation change) which affects how the point cloud is colorized when using elevation mapping.

Those striations do occur on all surfaces, but are especially visible when viewing large, flat, even surfaces. Just curious if anyone else has seen this issue before or knows what the cause might be. Our RTC 360 is less than 1 year old and I complete a check and adjust procedure about once every other month, and this issue is still always present. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would be really curious to see if this issue is repeatable in someone else's software/scanner to at least verify I'm not alone in this issue.
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Kruse »

I'm seeing this issue present in all scan densities and it's still present when scanning with/without photos even during importing without photos. I have yet to find a single way to avoid these striations playing with all scan densities, double scan, images off/on, etc.

In the images attached, all of them were from medium density scans with photos on. If I scan without photos, or don't import them, I can't easily see the striations in Register 360 since the imagery at the setups is what makes it easy to see. But even other datasets where I don't take any photos, register, export, then view with CloudWorx and enable the elevation mapping for Floor Flatness/Levelness scans, those striations are present all the same. The only thing that's made any difference is enabling the "High Tilt Accuracy" mode on for the scans which drastically helps with the striations, but they can still be seen throughout the dataset... just spaced further apart and not as severe looking on the elevation mapping view.

In the original attached images, the snapshot from Register 360 is a medium density scan with High Tilt Accuracy enabled, and the other two are medium density scans with High Tilt Accuracy turned off. The two snapshots of the elevation mapping were datasets without images captured while scanning.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

I've never seen this issue.

We have two RTC. But we never run check and adjust. When you run did it changed anything? Did you do fw upgrade-s or downgrades?

Curently we are facing an issue as well, but nothing like this.
One of our rtc produces random noise around the scanner position. It was an early model, but not too old...
rtc360_scanloc_noise.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SlavikusAstana
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by SlavikusAstana »

badam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:49 pm Curently we are facing an issue as well, but nothing like this.
One of our rtc produces random noise around the scanner position. It was an early model, but not too old...
random noise is most likely a scratch or dust on the mirror. Clean the mirror with a cloth for optics, be careful not to scratch the glass. Often, dust that appears evenly on the mirror is not visible to the naked eye, it is like a thin film over the entire surface of the mirror.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown

Post by badam »

SlavikusAstana wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:10 pm
badam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:49 pm Curently we are facing an issue as well, but nothing like this.
random noise is most likely a scratch or dust on the mirror. Clean the mirror with a cloth for optics, be careful not to scratch the glass. Often, dust that appears evenly on the mirror is not visible to the naked eye, it is like a thin film over the entire surface of the mirror.
that is what i thought as well, it is cleaned, We do not see scratches, but it seems like maybe some dust inside... I just don't know how it gets inside. Unfortinatelly don't have 1-2 month free time to just ship it to switzerland...
SlavikusAstana
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by SlavikusAstana »

badam wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:33 pm
that is what i thought as well, it is cleaned, We do not see scratches, but it seems like maybe some dust inside... I just don't know how it gets inside. Unfortinatelly don't have 1-2 month free time to just ship it to switzerland...
unfortunately in RTC360 there is no 100% dust protection
Kruse
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Kruse »

So I upgraded to the latest Firmware for the RTC 360 v5.01.109 released last week and that seems to have made a big difference in the data processing within Register 360. The striations or stripes can still be seen when looking at the imagery in the setup view with the point cloud turned to hue/intensity, but when I export out the point cloud and generate some elevation heat maps within Recap or CloudWorx, the stripes are no longer seen, or are so small and far between I can't see them.

I tested two datasets of medium density scans, photos on, and High Tilt Accuracy mode on. The other dataset was the same settings except HTA mode was off.

Both datasets produced the exact same looking elevation heat maps. I think my original issue was fixed with this latest FW version release. I'll post again if it's acting up.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”