Getting high-quality image expors in Cyclone REGISTER form Faro SCENE projects

Discuss all Leica Geosystems related issues here.
benaco
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Francesco Mazzoli
Company Details: Benaco Ltd
Company Position Title: Founder
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Getting high-quality image expors in Cyclone REGISTER form Faro SCENE projects

Post by benaco »

This is somewhat tangential to my question in https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... 46&t=18309, but still quite different:

We got a Faro Scene project that we imported into Cyclone Register 360 for some realignment and further cleaning.

We also need to export panorama images; we use the E57 export to ingest them into Benaco.

We observed some problems with that:
  1. The original RGB image data does not seem to be imported correctly. Instead, a "point cloud rendering" is imported, and thus the sky is completely black (see first screenshot below), both in Cyclone preview thumbnails, and in the E57 export.
  2. The exported image resolution is very low: Cubemaps with 1036 pixels side length (see second screenshot below in CloudCompare showing the image file details), resulting in 6 Megapixel outputs, even though Cyclone settings are configured to the maximum of 5120 pixel side length. In comparison the "High-resolution panorama export" feature in Faro Scene exports a much higher resolution of 200 Megapixels.
Is this a limitation of Cyclone (at which stage, import, export?), or a mistake in our workflow?

Is it possible to get high-quality images from Faro projects into Cyclone Register?

---

Screenshot showing problem 1: Point cloud rendering in Cyclone (below) instead of proper RGB image (above); note that 2 different directions are visualised in my equirectangular display here because Scene and Register export pano coordinate systems differently, but what matters is that one has the sky and the other one doesn't:

Screenshot showing problem 2 (low resolution):

badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Getting high-quality image expors in Cyclone REGISTER form Faro SCENE projects

Post by badam »

if i recall correctly cyclone is not able to import images from those e57, have you tried to import the fls files? but i think that was not worked as flawlessly as e57 and still not contain images...
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning

Re: Getting high-quality image expors in Cyclone REGISTER form Faro SCENE projects

Post by Mike Annear »

Faro Scene does a pretty good job of exporting images,
Can you download a trail version of Scene and export the images from there ?
Or find a Scene license holder to help you out ?
Regards,
Mike.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
benaco
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by benaco »

badam wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:51 pm cyclone is not able to import images from those e57, have you tried to import the fls files?
Yes, that is exactly what I tried. I imported the entire Faro project, not E57 files.

(E57 is my final export goal, but was not used between SCENE and Cyclone.)
benaco
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by benaco »

Mike Annear wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:30 am Faro Scene does a pretty good job of exporting images,
Hi Mike,

yes, that is a possibility and it works. Cyclone's and SCENE's image coordinate systems don't match, but I can fix that by applying the corresponding axis transformation.

It's also OK if Cyclone cannot do it, I just need to know whether it's supposed to work.

Thanks!

Return to “Leica Geosystems”