Leveling a point cloud in scene

Discuss all FARO SCENE related software issues here.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician

Re: Leveling a point cloud in scene

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Just do a target based or a c2c with inclinometer activated. Validate the inclinometer transformation in each scan properties. Bonus accuracy is to used target based only +inclinometer and surveyed points with a total station.

I wouldn't trust doing a 3 point leveling only, I usually shoot 10+ targets with the total station, especially as projects get bigger.
ProCro
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Nino Skupnjak
Company Details: SKIMI64
Company Position Title: procurator
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by ProCro »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:13 pm Just do a target based or a c2c with inclinometer activated. Validate the inclinometer transformation in each scan properties. Bonus accuracy is to used target based only +inclinometer and surveyed points with a total station.

I wouldn't trust doing a 3 point leveling only, I usually shoot 10+ targets with the total station, especially as projects get bigger.
As I understand, he wants xy plane to be leveled with floor (1st post).
Chrono9084 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:36 pm All,

I am trying to find the easiest level a point cloud after it has been fully registered. I want to use the plane of a floor and make the point cloud completely level to that floor but am finding that picking planes almost never works. Any thoughts on the best workflow for this?

Thanks in advance!
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

ProCro wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:35 am As I understand, he wants xy plane to be leveled with floor
I understood that but I went with the assumption he didn't know better. Because spoilers leveling with the floor is not a good idea and getting consistant results will be impossible (unless you have rick and morty type of floor! https://youtu.be/fQoRfieZJxI) ;)

I am more of the camp that you should always deliver an as accurate as possible survey. If he wants to project a 3 point plane to a floor just insert the pointcloud in autocad and do the 3DALIGN command with 3 points there. He could then analyse the slab from there using elevations coloring.

Issue I see with doing a deliverable from scene with this type of leveling is that maybe 3 years down the road someone could use said survey and not know it is not correctly leveled.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:36 pm
ProCro wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:35 am As I understand, he wants xy plane to be leveled with floor
I understood that but I went with the assumption he didn't know better. Because spoilers leveling with the floor is not a good idea and getting consistant results will be impossible (unless you have rick and morty type of floor! https://youtu.be/fQoRfieZJxI) ;)

I am more of the camp that you should always deliver an as accurate as possible survey. If he wants to project a 3 point plane to a floor just insert the pointcloud in autocad and do the 3DALIGN command with 3 points there. He could then analyse the slab from there using elevations coloring.

Issue I see with doing a deliverable from scene with this type of leveling is that maybe 3 years down the road someone could use said survey and not know it is not correctly leveled.
I would keep and register the original project as is (correct and leveled overall) and treat my deliverables in the manner like by plane but never the original project.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Chrono9084
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Robert Deardorff
Company Details: VAA LLC
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by Chrono9084 »

Wow, sorry I went missing for a week. Some great info here but I was not able to actually test any of it before my deliverable was due.

To clarify what I need and why I need it: We are working on a Revit project and the building will be modeled orthogonally. I prefer to find a level slab (checked in the field to make sure it is a mostly level slab of course) and then orient the cloud that way so that when I bring it into Revit and Edgewise, I am not having to both rotated the point cloud but also rotate all imported Edgewise objects the same amount. I do this with the understanding that it is possible that the way the point cloud was originally may be more accurate to real life conditions but we are not going to model sloped as we are not being paid for that LOD. :lol:

Anyhow, I ended up leveling it by making micro adjustments to the transform while monitoring two measurements I placed in two axis with vertical enabled. The annoyance I had was that it seemed like there was no way to rotate the X/Y axis to be orthogonal with the scan so it became a huge guessing game. When I have some free time (never) I plan on actually trying the point method but if anyone knows how to change the rotation of the x/y axis I am all ears. Also, thank you all so much for your time. I am sure you are all busy and I am certainly not paying you...I greatly appreciate it.

Return to “FARO SCENE”