I have made <0 posts
Full Name: SAOUDI Karim
Company Details: SATOPEC Surveying Company
Company Position Title: CEO
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Georeferencing point cloud using coordinates

Post by mksaoudi »

Hello dear community,

I have several scans wich i need to georeference using coordinates of targets (3/st) and scan station. This coordinates were calculated with total station.

Could anyone advise me what is the fastest, easiest et more efficient tool/software to do that ?

Thanks.
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Georeferencing point cloud using coordinates

Post by badam »

easiest and fastest would be that software which you use to register, like cyclone register, register 360, faro scene, realworks, etc....

but if you only has a small cloud you can reference it in cloud compare. Import your reference points and the cloud which you want to reference, then do a manual alignment (pick points).
azimut400gon
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Sebastian Aust
Company Details: Civil Engineering
Company Position Title: Project Leader

Post by azimut400gon »

If you prefer an Autodesk based workflow and have a licence, you can do this with Recap Pro also.
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

I use Pointcab for these operations (if necessary of course). Best is in the native registration software directly
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
Hutch07
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Cary Hutchinson
Company Details: SSI
Company Position Title: Engineering

Post by Hutch07 »

What software did you use to collect the cloud? There is typically somewhere to import control points from a CSV or some other data format.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

badam wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:49 pm easiest and fastest would be that software which you use to register, like cyclone register, register 360, faro scene, realworks, etc....

but if you only has a small cloud you can reference it in cloud compare. Import your reference points and the cloud which you want to reference, then do a manual alignment (pick points).
While this is fine for most cases involving small to medium sized sites, it is a potentially dangerous approach on larger topographic or infrastructure jobs as it doesn't take mapping scale factor into account.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
badam
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Adam Berta
Company Details: InnoScan 3D Hungary Kft
Company Position Title: unknown
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by badam »

smacl wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:06 pm
badam wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:49 pm easiest and fastest would be that software which you use to register, like cyclone register, register 360, faro scene, realworks, etc....

While this is fine for most cases involving small to medium sized sites, it is a potentially dangerous approach on larger topographic or infrastructure jobs as it doesn't take mapping scale factor into account.
i meant to import ground control points and then register the cloud to those. That is another story where/how do you get those coordinates.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

badam wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:09 pm
smacl wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:06 pm

i meant to import ground control points and then register the cloud to those. That is another story where/how do you get those coordinates.
Those coordinates still have implicit scale factor though, i.e. if you calculate a plan coordinate distance between two ground coordinates in a projected grid system, such as OSTN15 in the UK, using sqrt(dx*dx + dy*dy) it will not be correct as this is the scale free distance. All the scan distances by comparison will be scale free so by registering to georeferenced coordinates, you're introducing a small systematic error in distance. If all your scan stations have georeferenced coordinates, this is unlikely to be a problem. If only a few have georeferenced coordinates, you're liable to distort the result slightly. Depends very much on the type of job and the accuracies you're hoping to achieve, for something like rail, I'd tend to transform to a local grid, register, and then transform back to the original grid.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “Request Help With Projects”