I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Nick Worrell
Company Details: Atlantic Laser Scanning Services Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

How do I combine two projects in Scene?

Post by Nickel1 »

I have a vehicle which has already been scanned, clipped and cleaned and would like to drop it into a seperate project scan of a parking lot. Can anyone tell me the procedure or where I can learn of it? I know it has to be simple...

Thanks!
Nick Worrell
President
Atlantic Laser Scanning Services Inc.
Rental Provider of FARO 3D Laser Scanners
FARO Training
New Smyrna Beach, FL
(800) 955-3960
atlanticlaserscanning.com
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: somniator
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: How do I combine two projects in Scene?

Post by jcoco3 »

I think you have a few options. I am assuming you have registered the two project's scans separately. If so you grab the .fls from one projects scans folder using windows explorer and then just drag and drop them into the other project in scene. The scans should remain registered together, but you will have to manualy align the two sets using a scan from each project. I find creating planes if possible is the easiest for me but there are many ways to get them registered together.
Another method would be to create another scans folder in scene and drag and drop the other scans into that folder. This will keep the scans in separate clusters that can be registered together using the method above but still keeping them in the same project. Clusting really helps when your projects get huge and you cannot load all the data at the same time. Hope this helps :D
Nickel1
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by Nickel1 »

Thank you for your help. After the rep at FARO told me that it could not be done I continued to read and do some trial and error. I ended up almost exactly where you have told me here. Unfortunately with the newest Scene software I am not able to drag and drop the scan files. What I did do after creating a cluster of the main parking lot scene, I used the cluster to create a new project. After clipping and cleaning up the vehicle in its original project, I went into my parking lot project and had to use the file menu to pull down and use the "import files" option. Then it was quick to just import the clipped vehicle files into the new project with the already processed parking lot. You are right that it is best to have a seperate scan folder for each, and it is necessary to place the vehicle scan in the scene in Correspondence view to place it appropriately.
Now I can look at the parking lot empty, or if I load all the scans together (both clusters) I get the parking lot with the vehicle in it.
Thanks again for your attention to this, I hope this helps other people.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nick Worrell
President
FARO Training
New Smyrna Beach, FL
(800) 955-3960
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: somniator
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

Glad it helped! I am still using the older software, so that is where some of the drag and drop confusion came from. We hope to upgrade this December. You scans looks great. It's a pity that poor car got smashed.
3DForensics
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

Any reason you want to do this in Scene and not any other package? Is Scene your only option?

Eugene
Nickel1
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts

Post by Nickel1 »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IKCQffrWo0[/youtube]
I hope this helps anyone interested in seeing how I made this work.
Nick Worrell
President
FARO Training
New Smyrna Beach, FL
(800) 955-3960
[email protected]
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Nayan Deogirkar
Company Details: ESI Services India LLP
Company Position Title: Application Engineer

Post by [email protected] »

jcoco3 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:22 am I think you have a few options. I am assuming you have registered the two project's scans separately. If so you grab the .fls from one projects scans folder using windows explorer and then just drag and drop them into the other project in scene. The scans should remain registered together, but you will have to manualy align the two sets using a scan from each project. I find creating planes if possible is the easiest for me but there are many ways to get them registered together.
Another method would be to create another scans folder in scene and drag and drop the other scans into that folder. This will keep the scans in separate clusters that can be registered together using the method above but still keeping them in the same project. Clusting really helps when your projects get huge and you cannot load all the data at the same time. Hope this helps :D
hi ,
I have tried as you said. I have made two cluster A and B, I am trying to import the scans in cluster B but it is imported in A. i am using scene 2020.05 version.

Return to “FARO”