I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Darnea Olson
Company Details: Helix RE
Company Position Title: Senior Manager Reality Capture
Skype Name: Darnea Olson
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Leica and Faro on the same job?

Post by SonofOdin »

If you had to use both a Faro S350 and Leica RTC360 on the same job, how would that work?

Would you Register each individual scanners dataset and then combine those datasets in to one of the 2 registration softwares, beit Scene or Cyclone?

Would there be any kind of negative outcome by using 2 seperate machines on the same job?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
javier sainz
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: javier sainz
Company Details: fabrocam
Company Position Title: tech dept

Re: Leica and Faro on the same job?

Post by javier sainz »

the only way i know to do the job is the leica cylone software.... whit it you can register rtc scans and fls scans.

The leica can open and use the two types of files, but the systems use difrent systems of registration on site...

You must use the chekboards as reference systems
Mike Annear
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mike Annear
Company Details: The Yard Brisbane
Company Position Title: Manager - 3D Design and Scanning

Post by Mike Annear »

You can certainly use both scanners on the same job.
I agree that Cyclone Core is the best option for combining Faro and Leica scans.
And chercker-board targets will certainly help, though not absolutely necessary as you can just use Cyclones visual registration process instead.
From my experience, Faro scans will not always be level when imported into Cyclone, even though they probably are in Scene :)
It is almost like Cyclone decides to tilt them a little bit more :)

I would be importing the scans into scene first, colourize them etc, then export them as .PTX and then import them into Cyclone.
Regards,
Mike.
Mike Annear
www.mikeannear.com
QLD, Australia.
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

Mike Annear wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:27 pm You can certainly use both scanners on the same job.
I agree that Cyclone Core is the best option for combining Faro and Leica scans.
And chercker-board targets will certainly help, though not absolutely necessary as you can just use Cyclones visual registration process instead.
From my experience, Faro scans will not always be level when imported into Cyclone, even though they probably are in Scene :)

I would be importing the scans into scene first, colourize them etc, then export them as .PTX and then import them into Cyclone.
Regards,
Mike.
Even the baby brother Register360 takes *.FLS files directly in.

I often register Faro Data inside of Leica. Well, truthfully I always register Faro data inside of Leica, as I have absolute despise for Faro Scene.

Faro data is easy to handle inside of Register360 or Cyclone. And absolutely no issues mixing a few FLS, a little RTC, some BLK360, couple hours of BLK2GO, some nice big C10 scans and then a few P40 scans. That is the beauty of Regiser360 and Cyclone Core, is that you can bring in multiple scans from multiple platforms and register them all together into one single Cloud.
SonofOdin
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Darnea Olson
Company Details: Helix RE
Company Position Title: Senior Manager Reality Capture
Skype Name: Darnea Olson

Post by SonofOdin »

Thanks for all the advice, it's some good info to think about.

So the project is 4 large commercial buildings that will need full Revit treatment, LOD 350. They are about 175,000 sqft each.

For the project I'll have 2 faro S350s and 2 Leica RTC360s.

What I was thinking to do is break it up into 2 buildings per 2 scanners. So the 2 Faros would complete 2 buildings and the 2 RTC360s would complete the other 2 buildings. 2 scanners a building, one building at a time for each of the 2 scan teams.
RJGEOMATICS
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bart Man
Company Details: Laser Scanning
Company Position Title: Passionate about making amazing PCs

Post by RJGEOMATICS »

SonofOdin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:12 am Thanks for all the advice, it's some good info to think about.

So the project is 4 large commercial buildings that will need full Revit treatment, LOD 350. They are about 175,000 sqft each.

For the project I'll have 2 faro S350s and 2 Leica RTC360s.

What I was thinking to do is break it up into 2 buildings per 2 scanners. So the 2 Faros would complete 2 buildings and the 2 RTC360s would complete the other 2 buildings. 2 scanners a building, one building at a time for each of the 2 scan teams.
Thus roughly 1500 scans per building... Depending on how open an space, could very easily exceed 2000 scans per building. So even each building being separate will be some massive PointClouds for ReCAP and Revit to handle.

Cyclone Core you can definitely register all 8000 scans into one project, we did this back in 2010 at a rubber processing plant, running the old Faros, and Leica C10's. We did all in Cyclone and then brought to Bentley and AVEVA. The C10 data was the Master control and geometry. The Faro Scanners we just infill.

Even with one RTC360, if you ignore using Field360, and just go to Push Button Scanning, you'll easily complete 1 building in 3 days or so. Last year I was scanning a Cheese Processing plant with an RTC360. I ran hard, but was getting 300 to 400 stations a day on Medium Resolution with Photos on, and leveling every station by Tribrach.

Depending on Schedule, I'd say ditch the Faros and just go crazy with the RTC360's. Or as you say have Faro in one Building and RTC360 in another. If color is important I'd stay to just the RTC360's working together and just the Faro's alone on their own thing. If you ditch the Tablets and Field360, you'll basically complete 3 buildings with the RTC360's in the time you do one building with Faro.

With RTC360 inside of Buildings, more scan stations at lower resolution are generally more advantageous than fewer stations at High Res. Medium Res on RTC350 inside of Buildings with good scanner overlap, is way more than enough data.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

Mike Annear wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:27 pm You can certainly use both scanners on the same job.

Regards,
Mike.
+1 to be careful when importing .fls files into Cyclone - also e.57. Something is badly wrong as the scans imported tilted - I've complained about this to Leica, but no response yet.
stutosney
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Stuart Tosney
Company Details: ---
Company Position Title: Associate Director - Survey

Post by stutosney »

As mentioned above, if you have two units and four scanners, I would be ,more inclined to keep the Leica's and Faro's together in the separate buildings. Nothing wrong with mixing, but just easier to keep it all together and consistent. Also, just be wary of the tilt issue as other have talked about. Sounds like an interesting project.
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager

Post by sim.herrod »

Use targets/spheres and the tilt issue isn't an issue.

We mix S150 data with data from an old HDS6000 all the time in Cyclone Core and haven't had a problem.

Return to “General Chat”