Drawing heritage high definitaion details (from a pointcloud) in CAD.

To chat about anything else.
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Drawing heritage high definitaion details (from a pointcloud) in CAD.

Post by Ioannis »

Hello, LSF members,
I have a high quality scan of a small heritage place and I would like to draw columns and walls with small details in Autocad. As you see in the attachments is not as easy.
One photo is the reality (from dslr camera) and the other is from pointcab.
One other solution will be the photogrammetry with RC but in that case, I do not want color and will take far too long.
What other options we have?
Here is a comapny that do great jobs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSAbE2V2Sek

I use Leica P series scanner, cyclone, pointcab, cloudworx software.

P.S 1. Yes I try different settings in pointcab and I contact support and as we realized Pointcab lose a lot of small details. So that software is not for that kind of jobs.
P.S When I navigate through Cyclone I saw that small details as I referred is in high detail so the pointcloud is ok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Re: Drawing heritage high definitaion details (from a pointcloud) in CAD.

Post by smacl »

This seems like a good candidate for normal based rendering to highlight the fine detail. Firstly, are you creating 2D or 3D AutoCAD drawings? For 2D, I'd guess high resolution normal based ortho-images would be a good backdrop for AutoCAD. 3D means you really want to stay in the point cloud. If you want to send a small LAS, LAZ or E57 sample through to me of part of the column above, I can pop up a short video of how I'd do this in SCC. I can't really comment on the other packages as I haven't used them, but normal based rendering seems to be common enough.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Ioannis »

As I forget to mention, we want high quality orhophotos in order to deliver them to architects. So it’s only 2d.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by smacl »

Ioannis wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:59 am As I forget to mention, we want high quality orhophotos in order to deliver them to architects. So it’s only 2d.
I captured a quick and dirty video on how I'd do that in SCC below. Guessing you already have similar functionality in the packages you're already using, but if you'd like a demo license to SCC to play with you can get one here; http://atlascomputers.ie/download/ The SCC images are created with a world file to allow easy insertion into AutoCAD at the correct scale for drawing.

youtu.be/qTzUNhzp1xE
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Ioannis »

I would like that part to see it if your program can handle it clearly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by smacl »

The following is a close up of that piece of detail
detail1.jpg
Note from the tripod positions the scan data isn't ideal for this detail
context.jpg
If you want to send through some of your own data you'll get a better idea of how well this will work (or not!) Photogrammetric data tends to be more evenly distributed than laser scanned data, but the quality of the visualization is very much dependent on the quality of the point cloud.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

I liked Bentley Pointools for creating Orthos - had access to it at a previous company... import the scan data, 2 point align, clipping boxing, good saved view settings, entered the output resolution and leave it to export some massive elevations. It was able to create this from P40 & iStar data..... https://twitter.com/KeeperNH/status/132 ... 92/photo/1

Cyclone Core can also produce decent small areas of detail to help the CAD process but thats it.

You could try using stereo pairs to create orthos if that is an option.
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Ioannis »

You could try using stereo pairs to create orthos if that is an option.
[/quote]

Do you mean the photogrammetry method with RC? If yes it will take too long and I do not want colour in that case.
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

Ioannis wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:29 pm You could try using stereo pairs to create orthos if that is an option.
Do you mean the photogrammetry method with RC? If yes it will take too long and I do not want colour in that case.
[/quote]

No stereo as perth Historic England guidance: https://historicengland.org.uk/images-b ... -heritage/

Try and get a demo of Bentley Pointools to see if it helps your point cloud orthos.
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by VXGrid »

Ioannis wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:17 am Hello, LSF members,
I have a high quality scan of a small heritage place and I would like to draw columns and walls with small details in Autocad. As you see in the attachments is not as easy.
One photo is the reality (from dslr camera) and the other is from pointcab.
One other solution will be the photogrammetry with RC but in that case, I do not want color and will take far too long.
What other options we have?
Here is a comapny that do great jobs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSAbE2V2Sek

I use Leica P series scanner, cyclone, pointcab, cloudworx software.

P.S 1. Yes I try different settings in pointcab and I contact support and as we realized Pointcab lose a lot of small details. So that software is not for that kind of jobs.
P.S When I navigate through Cyclone I saw that small details as I referred is in high detail so the pointcloud is ok.

Hi Ioannis,

there are more factors to make things happen with your data. First off I would like to go over the option to renew your annual upgrade service fee with us.
The fact we did help you last week outside of your expired Maintenance and support should show you that we are always very interested to help our customers.

Since you have the entry level package of PointCab Suite (now Origins) you can unfortunately not utilize all features like “Space warp” but still I would like to point out some things to achieve better orthophotos in PointCab Origins:
  • Your registration has errors, please see cloudcomparescreenshot below.
  • The layout & section tool will project the column points onto a plane, which will result in a distorted image. With our Space Warp tools there is no distortion, since the points can be projected onto an ellipse or bezier curve.
  • The point density of a single scan (no registration issues) is not high enough to capture the details you'd like to see.
  • Other processing options like using Reflectivity or Delta, will show the details more clearly.
If you want to continue with PointCab support & maintenance then I would ask you to get in touch with [email protected]

Cloudcomparescreenshot:
A very small slice through the upper part of the column. I colorized three different scan positions in blue, red and yellow, all other scan stations are still in there (grey). View direction is from the top.
cloudcomparescreenshot.png

Return to “General Chat”