V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

How to convert a .LGS to a .RCP file

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Hi everyone!

I apologize if this is a basic question, I rarely have to deal with .LGS files. I tought I could import the file in register 360 but I can't. What would be the workflow to convert a .lgs file to a .rcp file?

(I have to convert two 3gb .lgs files)

Thank you!
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: How to convert a .LGS to a .RCP file

Post by Scott.Warren »

I havn't tried it in Reg360, but in Cyclone Core, you can import LGS projects (has a dedicated LGS project import button), which would then let you export Recaps from a modelspace (if you have the approriate publisher lic) or export neutral formats (e57/PTG/etc | also dependent on licenses) which then can be used to create a new recap project (importing the scans but skipping the registration step as they should already be registered).

Word.
geomontgomery
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: George Montgomery
Company Details: ECE Design
Company Position Title: Support Manager

Post by geomontgomery »

Scott has the correct answer. LGS cannot be imported into REGISTER360 at this time, only with Cyclone base.
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott.Warren »

markscan
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Marco Dileo
Company Details: ARcontrol
Company Position Title: Architect

Post by markscan »

Scott.Warren wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:44 pm I havn't tried it in Reg360, but in Cyclone Core, you can import LGS projects (has a dedicated LGS project import button), which would then let you export Recaps from a modelspace (if you have the approriate publisher lic) or export neutral formats (e57/PTG/etc | also dependent on licenses) which then can be used to create a new recap project (importing the scans but skipping the registration step as they should already be registered).

Word.
I haven’t tried importing .lgs in CycloneCore yet (I have license for Reg360 only), but I’ve always wondering if an imported .lgs, re-published in .rcp or .e57 is editable or not.
Leica always told me that a .lgs is like an unified pointcloud block of which scans links cannot be updated nor deleted.

Can someone try?
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott.Warren »

So LGS have some flexibility in how you export them, and that will determine what info will be imported by Cyclone Core.

LGS files CAN have a unified cloud and no station information (No unique scanworlds, would import as 1 homogeneous cloud)

LGS files CAN have the scan information of each station (would import with each scan importing as a separate Scanworld)

LGS files CAN have only the images from each station (like Truview, no scan data imported)

it depends on what boxes the user checked when exporting the LGS, and also the source of the info that was exported. If the scans were registered in Cyclone, or were imported as separate scans, you might be able to import and have the scans preserved individually. It is possible that that info isn't there, either because the box wasn't checked on export, or the cloud information never had individual scans (was unified, or from a non TLS dataset). If you imported an LGS that had the cloud data and scan position boxes checked, you could import and re-register/edit the data.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Hi everyone,

Alright this is much more complicated than I tought it would be, I am now somewhat bitter of any LGS files.
I have managed to get my hands on a cyclone register license (not the 360 one). I have imported the LGS file, I can see the pointcloud data in the modelspace. Now the issue is when I try to do the e57 export only 10mb files are exported, I only get the message of it collecting the pictures and no point data. I am able to export pointcloud data from a p50 project I had with no issues and create a rcp, but it does not work with the LGS file.

What am I doing wrong, is it possible to export a e57 from a LGS or the ''read only'' part is what blocking me?

Thanks
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Scott.Warren »

A register Licenses will let you interact with Registrations within Cyclone, but it doesn't do much for exporting. If you don't have the appropriate license to export, you may not have the ability to do so from a modelspace.

Cyclone Core is a multi-headed pain sometimes when you first get into it and see how piecemeal the license structure is.

I'm not completely up to date on which lic's allow for which exports (LIC: Model, Publisher, Publisher Pro, etc), but that may be your current issue. Cyclone rarely us used with just a register license, I would think.
markscan
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Marco Dileo
Company Details: ARcontrol
Company Position Title: Architect

Post by markscan »

Scott.Warren wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:20 pm So LGS have some flexibility in how you export them, and that will determine what info will be imported by Cyclone Core.

LGS files CAN have a unified cloud and no station information (No unique scanworlds, would import as 1 homogeneous cloud)

LGS files CAN have the scan information of each station (would import with each scan importing as a separate Scanworld)

LGS files CAN have only the images from each station (like Truview, no scan data imported)

it depends on what boxes the user checked when exporting the LGS, and also the source of the info that was exported. If the scans were registered in Cyclone, or were imported as separate scans, you might be able to import and have the scans preserved individually. It is possible that that info isn't there, either because the box wasn't checked on export, or the cloud information never had individual scans (was unified, or from a non TLS dataset). If you imported an LGS that had the cloud data and scan position boxes checked, you could import and re-register/edit the data.
As far as I know, LGS can't be exported as unified cloud without scan informations. It's just (probably) the way CycloneCore reads an LGS: as an unique block.

I'm not sure CycloneCore would read every scan info and modify links between them, I will try this next time I'll have a CycloneCore license.

Yes, an LGS with only image is possible and readable in JetStream Viewer, don't know if CycloneCore would import it.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

Leandre Robitaille wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:30 pm Hi everyone!

I apologize if this is a basic question, I rarely have to deal with .LGS files. I tought I could import the file in register 360 but I can't. What would be the workflow to convert a .lgs file to a .rcp file?

(I have to convert two 3gb .lgs files)

Thank you!
Nope can't do it in Reg 360. It's Leica's "hook" for getting you to purchase the Cadillac version (a really stupid bean-counter reasoned hook too, considering the BIG BUCKS you pay for a Publisher Pro license. My personal opinion is if you've sprung the big bucks for a Publisher Pro License they should also included a LGS import module for Reg 3260 in that module)
Anyway, I'd just find someone with Cyclone Core and pay them a few bucks to convert it for you- you can share that size file on Google Drive. (hope you have a fast connection.)
Hoping they soon incorporate that into Register 360, It would cut down on the amount of formats of Archive /Backup files you need to keep for a Register 360 project also.....

Return to “Leica Geosystems”