V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Malte Holm
Company Details: TLS
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

spatial sample e57

Post by MalteHC »

Does anyone know, if there exists a open scource software, what will randomsample a e57 file, without import/export (like lastools)?
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Re: spatial sample e57

Post by smacl »

MalteHC wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:05 pm Does anyone know, if there exists a open scource software, what will randomsample a e57 file, without import/export (like lastools)?
Not aware of anything and I'd guess it is unlikely. For resampling, you need to transfer the point cloud into a format you can manipulate such as an octree rather than work directly on the E57 file, so import/export is difficult to avoid. Our own software, SCC, lets you do this as part of the import process but it is still not doing it to the natiev E57. PDAL is probably your best bet, but still it will most likely be a processing pipeline that includes import and export.
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MalteHC »

smacl wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:28 pm
MalteHC wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:05 pm Does anyone know, if there exists a open scource software, what will randomsample a e57 file, without import/export (like lastools)?
Not aware of anything and I'd guess it is unlikely. For resampling, you need to transfer the point cloud into a format you can manipulate such as an octree rather than work directly on the E57 file, so import/export is difficult to avoid. Our own software, SCC, lets you do this as part of the import process but it is still not doing it to the natiev E57. PDAL is probably your best bet, but still it will most likely be a processing pipeline that includes import and export.
Im not fammilar with PDAl. Is it possible to set up commands for commandopromt, so it can be done automatically?
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

Yes, PDAL is ideal for batch processing. This tutorial shows one way to handle subsampling:

https://pdal.io/workshop/exercises/anal ... nning.html

Rather than build up all the arguments on the command line, as in that example, though the more common way to control execution is to write a pipeline, which is a small json file defining the processing steps you want to execute. Pipelines are easier to reuse and offer a number of other advantages.

One warning about e57 in PDAL, currently it will convert structured data to unstructured. I'm not sure if there are any plans to fully support structured data, but if you need that feature it would probably be worth asking on the mailing list.
Jed
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

Cloudcompare can batch do that.
Check the command line options.
You can spatial and random subsample.
Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

jedfrechette wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:48 pmOne warning about e57 in PDAL, currently it will convert structured data to unstructured. I'm not sure if there are any plans to fully support structured data, but if you need that feature it would probably be worth asking on the mailing list.
I'm guessing most point cloud software will lose structure when sub-sampling. This is something we have an option to avoid in SCC but it comes at the cost of two extra bytes per point which is something you may not want if the point of sub-sampling is to reduce data size footprint.

Off-topic, but i really need to look deeper into PDAL at some point with a view to exposing an interface to it from SCC. One more item on my ever increasing to-do list :)
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jedfrechette »

I think using a little more storage to preserve structure is worth it. That's actually what we do too in the case of structured e57 and PDAL. Read the e57 outside of PDAL, set row and column index attributes for each point and then pass the resulting cloud to PDAL. For our particular use case it makes sense to preprocess the e57 for other reasons, but it would probably be a pretty small change to PDAL's e57 reader to set row and column indexes natively.
Jed
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MalteHC »

I am trying with PDAL and it seems like the way to go, though i have some trouble with batchimport.
I can only manage to convert one at a time, which is unfortunate, since most of my projects is a file per scanstation.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jedfrechette »

If you want to collect a bunch of input files and aggregate them before further processing then filename globbing is what you want:

https://pdal.io/pipeline.html#globbed-inputs

However, if you want to batch process each scan individually you can also do that too:

https://pdal.io/workshop/exercises/batc ... ssing.html
Jed
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MalteHC »

We tried to setup a couple of lines in pdal, for voxel filtering, random filtering and actually got reslly promishing results.
Would it be possible to do a script, wheere it also will create .jpg 360 pictures from each staiton?

Return to “Open Source Software”