NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Discuss all NavVis related products here.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: NavVis VLX - wearable mapping

Post by Scott »

dhirota wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:43 am
Total area scanned = 45,376 square meters
Total length scanned = 1,953 meters
Total registered point cloud = 524.7 million points
Number of images = 1,820

That is the end
"The end"?--I hope not, Dennis. You've demonstrated that the VLX --presumably an indoor mobile device, does a fantastic job scanning exteriors as well. Thank you for probably the most important series of demonstrations I've seen since I've been visiting the LSM! Well done, Sir!
~S
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by dhirota »

Scott wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:05 pm
dhirota wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:43 am
Total area scanned = 45,376 square meters
Total length scanned = 1,953 meters
Total registered point cloud = 524.7 million points
Number of images = 1,820

That is the end
"The end"?--I hope not, Dennis. You've demonstrated that the VLX --presumably an indoor mobile device, does a fantastic job scanning exteriors as well. Thank you for probably the most important series of demonstrations I've seen since I've been visiting the LSM! Well done, Sir!
~S
Scott

Thank you for the gracious comments on the recent scans with the NavVis VLX presented on the LSF.

NavVis needs to be working on several items on the VLX including white balance (I think) and color merging/checking when you have dense vegetation, moving clouds in the sky and bright sun to affect imaging HDR in exterior scans. Scanning on the outside in bright tropical sun and deep shade is occasionally more challenging than inside with white walls. We are still working to improve targets and registration using the VLX, which can be very easy doing it using the NavVis process. We are experimenting and have generated some issues and need to figure out how to correct and improve them.

07-23-2020 12-24-01 PM.jpg

The first screen shot lower, right hand corner is the intersection of Ward Avenue and South Beretania Street, which is the busiest intersection in Honolulu. We scanned several blocks near our office using targets, and the post-processing removed all the moving objects including people and vehicles.

07-23-2020 12-30-16 PM.jpg

Total point clouds = 727.8 million points.

I probably will be posting less information since it seems that I have answered all of the questions or no one is interested to see if the VLX will do anything different than what most people are doing on the LSF.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Did you try scanning without pictures?
Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

max72 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:04 am Thanks for sharing your experience.
Did you try scanning without pictures?
Massimo
Massimo

We do not scan with lidar any project without HDR color images. I personally believe if you are going to spend the time on a site, that color HDR visualization through images/panoramas is more important than the lidar scans alone in gray scale or intensity only. You have to remember that we do not pursue any commodity scanning work and the clients that we have, are looking for a different type of result. Where we are currently headed is in a totally different market than the majority of the people on the LSF.

One of the significant reasons that we use Riegl, Z+F, and NavVis as our principal sensors is because of the quality of their imaging.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
max72
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Massimo De Marchi
Company Details: Massimo De Marchi
Company Position Title: freelancer
Skype Name: massimo_de_marchi

Post by max72 »

Thanks.
It makes sense.
I often scan in situations where pictures would be unusable (old buildings and no/low light), so I'm wondering how it would work in similar situations.
By the way in my case sky is usually a nice shade of gray :-)
Cheers,
Massimo
ing. Massimo De Marchi - +39 347 32 17 049 - www.studiodemarchi.net
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

max72 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:55 am Thanks.
It makes sense.
I often scan in situations where pictures would be unusable (old buildings and no/low light), so I'm wondering how it would work in similar situations.
By the way in my case sky is usually a nice shade of gray :-)
Cheers,
Massimo
That is why you need a Z+F sensor for dark, old buildings. I can tell you with two Z+F sensors, that they do work all the time in the dark.

Massimo, you need to move where the sun is shining and the sky is bright blue. This Sunday a category 4 hurricane is headed to HNL, so the
the sky might be different than usual.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren

Post by Jason Warren »

Hi Dennis,
Great posts, thank you.
Can you let me know more about the registration process; Is it simply adding a target coordinate file and pressing a button and leaving the computer to do its thing, or does the computer need to be manned during the registration process? Also do you get a detailed registration report too?
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Jason Warren wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:02 am Hi Dennis,
Great posts, thank you.
Can you let me know more about the registration process; Is it simply adding a target coordinate file and pressing a button and leaving the computer to do its thing, or does the computer need to be manned during the registration process? Also do you get a detailed registration report too?
Jason

There is a Cat 2 hurricane, Douglas arriving in HNL in 24 hours, so I need to spend my time taking care of many things now.

Since we are still trying different things with the NavVis VLX and do not claim to be experts, I think it best that folks from NavVis respond to your
questions to get the official answers which we are also trying to figure out from support.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Jason Warren
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Jason Warren
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Company Position Title: Co-Founder
Skype Name: jason_warren

Post by Jason Warren »

dhirota wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:55 pm
Jason Warren wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:02 am Hi Dennis,
Great posts, thank you.
Jason

There is a Cat 2 hurricane, Douglas arriving in HNL in 24 hours, so I need to spend my time taking care of many things now.

Since we are still trying different things with the NavVis VLX and do not claim to be experts, I think it best that folks from NavVis respond to your
questions to get the official answers which we are also trying to figure out from support.
Dennis,
Thank you for the reply and hope things work out ok with the Cat 2 hurricane....
Hopefully having a demo of the VLX in September and will get to find out all the intricacies then... ;)
Jason Warren
Co_Founder

Dedicated to 3D Laser Scanning
LaserScanningForum
GeorgSchroth
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Georg Schroth
Company Details: NavVis
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by GeorgSchroth »

As always, thanks for the feedback Dennis!

Regarding the white balance: We indeed use a white balance profile that is optimized for indoor use but works outdoors as well. However as is shows it can be confused sometimes if the sun is looking directly into the lens and you just came out of a shadow. We are working on improving this!
In the meantime: All images that VLX records are stored as RAW files that allow for further manual image enhancements. E.g. the open source raw image editing tool UFRaw (http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/) can be used to tune the white balance and possibly even more things like contrast or exposure. With our next SW version (I assume we will release it in the next two weeks) we will add a small command line tool that allows you to batch process changed settings in exposure and white balance.

Jason, regarding the the registration using control points:
Yes, you place the x, y, and z coordinates of the control points (in your local coordinate system) into a txt file that looks like in the screenshot below.
Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 12.05.40.png
For the anchor names you have to use the names / IDs you entered during the mapping.
In the Processing Software you select this txt file. That's about it if you follow the standard workflow.
In addition you get a control point log file that includes the errors (deviations) per control point in x, y, and z.
Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 12.05.52.png
(first number is the time stamp followed by the anchor name and the deviations from the control point. Usually the deviations will be in the range of 1-5mm if everything worked out as it should.

There is actually a lot more you can do with this process that is non-standard workflow like using some of the control points not for registration but only verification but I will leave this out here. We provide quite some documentation on this and our team is happy to show you the full workflow in a call or chat.

While this workflow is very flexible is can be also a bit too flexible as in making unwanted changes (at least in my view)
Hence we are working on building a nice guided user interface inside our web/cloud platform where you can spot e.g. faulty control points immediately in a map.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.

Dennis: Please stay save! Fingers crossed the hurricane is weakening further.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “NavVis”