BLK2GO Price?

Discuss all BLK2GO | BLK2GO Pulse | BLK2FLY related products here.
dmanning
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Dustin Manning
Company Details: luxpoint
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: BLK2GO Price?

Post by dmanning »

The BLK2go produces a denser, cleaner point cloud with a repeatable workflow as compared to Geoslam. The product is still incredibly new and that will come with it's own set of problems. I'm very hopefuly that Leica will deliver improved firmware and software to make this product live up to the hype.

As far as the software goes, at least the last conversation I had, there is a specific version of Reg360 that is used for the blk2go. I would need a Leica rep to confirm that. My hope is that it will work with the current version of Reg360 and not require one of the many "add-ons" Leica is famous for. ;)

All that said I wouldn't imagine investing in a Geoslam now that the blk2go is an option. I can verify that the cost is around 60k USD.
Scott.Warren
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Warren
Company Details: WSP Canada
Company Position Title: Project Manager - Geomatics Engineer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: BLK2GO Price?

Post by Scott.Warren »

We had the Leica folks in last week to demo the BLK2Go for us. Be aware this comes from a person who doesn't use handheld LiDAR data very often, and the little I've seen leaves much to be desired for resolution and accuracy.

Here are my thoughts:

PRO
Pano every 1 m of walking (choose spacing on import, can do 1m spacing or greater)
Scans Super duper fast
Seems to close it’s solution well (2cm absolute quoted per 10min scan)
Color cloud data on import
HDR image (single image, not pano), seems to give a nice image, not great
1 button operation
2 lasers
SLAM+Vis system seems to work really well
Lightguide lets you know visually if the solution failed during a scan (color ring on the device)

CON
$60,000-65,000 USD
Closed system – no adjustment (ex: edit trajectory) to data once collected (currently)
Data can be sparse, VERY easy to miss even medium sized objects
Learning curve – seems like the user will fail scans where sites are not regular buildings, until they learn a process that does work.
Solution not guaranteed – may need multiple attempts to get the device to close properly. Trial and error to get good at the device.
Pano image quality Very poor (1.3mp), especially in low light.
Can’t verify data in field very well (companion app iOS only, not needed for operation)
App to control device on iOS only (not required, but only way to visually check data before import in the office)
Likely only for LOD 100-200 modeling (seeing anything small seems like a tall order)
We were told to model from the pano’s, as modeling from the cloud “Bogs down extraction”(mystery Leica employee)
Have to currently use BETA-Reg360
Pano’s don’t export well out of Cyclone Core (only Reg360 it seems as LGS)
People on site can block A LOT of data during collection

Summary
I think the device would be killer for site walks, and for LOD200 jobs. Without independent checks, makes it tricky to use on a job needing an accurate model, created from this standalone device. The price tag is a little high, and it seems like more of a tool for architects that are not focused on accuracy, or worried as much about scan drift or level data. The data collected at our office is just too sparse, we could not locate smaller features like fire-pulls, sprinklers. I understand that the demo wasn't quite the same as using it on a job, was expecting more in the data i guess. This is for QUICK AND DIRTY scanning, doesn’t seem ideal in finer modeling, and even then, spending time to 'sweep' enough detail of a larger object with the BLK2Go you could just RTC360 scan it and get better results. I can see this as an entry point for many.

Return to “Leica BLK2GO | BLK2GO PULSE | BLK2FLY”