I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Guillaume Opsomer
Company Details: Landmetersbureau Opsomer
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Processing P40 data with REG360?

Post by Guillaume_O »

I started scanning with an RTC360 combined with Cyclone REG360.

Now, I've aquired a P40 to increase accuracy and take on different, more demanding jobs.

I'm wondering if there is a way to optimise the workflow of the P40 in REG360?

It works quite well with resection, as you measure different targets.
"Match Targets" in Reg360 works well once the targets are named.

But when traversing, it's totally different.
As each station point is actually the target point of the next/previous setup, there's no way to restore this link once it is deleted.
Also: the link that is created using "pre registered" is not always the link made in the field with P40.

Does anyone else work with P40 data in REG360?

I have recently aquired the regular Cyclone as well, it's probably going to be better to process the data there?
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Re: Processing P40 data with REG360?

Post by pburrows145 »

If you are using the ScanStation P40, in traverse mode specifically, I would tend to use Cyclone REGISTER.

If you were using a target-based method with known control (say 3 per station), then REGISTER 360 would be perfect.

As always, if you have both, it's nice to be able to use a combination of both solutions... simply import the REG360 project to Cyclone REGISTER.

You will find that a majority of Cyclone REGISTER features have been migrated to Cyclone REGISTER 360, with more coming over time (IMHO).
Guillaume_O
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Guillaume_O »

pburrows145 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:22 am If you are using the ScanStation P40, in traverse mode specifically, I would tend to use Cyclone REGISTER.

If you were using a target-based method with known control (say 3 per station), then REGISTER 360 would be perfect.

As always, if you have both, it's nice to be able to use a combination of both solutions... simply import the REG360 project to Cyclone REGISTER.

You will find that a majority of Cyclone REGISTER features have been migrated to Cyclone REGISTER 360, with more coming over time (IMHO).
Hello Paul

Thanks for the reply.

I ordered Cyclone REGISTER after speaking with Bjorn and with you at Intergeo.
Have the training this Friday, probably going to use it a lot more after that.
MajorDomo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Major Domo
Company Details: VeritasVfx
Company Position Title: ceo
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by MajorDomo »

Guillaume_O wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:10 am Now, I've aquired a P40 to increase accuracy and take on different, more demanding jobs.
For P40 Cyclone REGISTER is pretty neat, i like some UI elements of Cyclone360, but you have so much more on the old beast.
Don't get intimidated by the UI, and if you cross yout T's and dot your I's while in the field most of the times registering takes a couple of minutes.

I often wondered if anyone was going that direction, RTC360 to P40. Despite all the hype, the levelness of the data really makes a world of difference, even if your back takes a beating...
JLarson
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jason Larson
Company Details: VHB
Company Position Title: Geomatics Manager

Post by JLarson »

I agree that the ScanStation traversing workflow needs to be added to REG360. This has been our standard workflow for years and for outside topographic work it is miles better than resection. This is the main reason we have not implemented REG360 as a standard tool yet.

Since REG360 is the way forward, PLEASE Leica support workflows that you promoted for years (and still do).
Jason Larson, PLS
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

JLarson wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:58 pm I agree that the ScanStation traversing workflow needs to be added to REG360. This has been our standard workflow for years and for outside topographic work it is miles better than resection. This is the main reason we have not implemented REG360 as a standard tool yet.

Since REG360 is the way forward, PLEASE Leica support workflows that you promoted for years (and still do).
All in progress... working towards feature parity (but a LOT of features to migrate).
Guillaume_O
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Guillaume_O »

MajorDomo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:51 pm
Guillaume_O wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:10 am Now, I've aquired a P40 to increase accuracy and take on different, more demanding jobs.
For P40 Cyclone REGISTER is pretty neat, i like some UI elements of Cyclone360, but you have so much more on the old beast.
Don't get intimidated by the UI, and if you cross yout T's and dot your I's while in the field most of the times registering takes a couple of minutes.

I often wondered if anyone was going that direction, RTC360 to P40. Despite all the hype, the levelness of the data really makes a world of difference, even if your back takes a beating...
The levelness does make a huge difference.
I've had an issue with scanning over a long distance, where the level of the first and last doorstep had a difference of 5 cm.
Level was checked with a total station.
Plenty of links inbetween the different setups, no stand-alone scans... Still wasn't enough.
It was a job I did for an other surveyor who doesn't scan, not fun to explain that the horizontal accuracy of the instrument isn't that great...

After that I started using my TS16 as a base for the scans, which helped a lot.
That is one of the main reasons we picked up a P40: You can level the scans, AND collect data with the same instrument.
The extra range, more possibilities, assurance in the field that targets are aquired... all makes it worth it.
Feels like there's way less stuff that can go wrong if you work correctly and accurately.
Guillaume_O
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by Guillaume_O »

pburrows145 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:04 pm
JLarson wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:58 pm I agree that the ScanStation traversing workflow needs to be added to REG360. This has been our standard workflow for years and for outside topographic work it is miles better than resection. This is the main reason we have not implemented REG360 as a standard tool yet.

All in progress... working towards feature parity (but a LOT of features to migrate).
I'm excited for that!

Return to “Leica Geosystems”