Large Block Rendering of Point Cloud - Minecraft Anomaly.

Discuss FARO SCENE software here.
symons18027
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jon Symons
Company Details: Queensland Police Service
Company Position Title: Forensic Photographer
Linkedin Profile: No

Large Block Rendering of Point Cloud - Minecraft Anomaly.

Post by symons18027 »

I'm hoping someone can assist me with this issue that appears to be plaguing myself and my colleagues when using scene 2019.1 intermittently.

My current project consists of 1.5billion points (48 scans). I spent the better part of the day cleaning the stray points, only to click the View Project button and the Project Point Cloud not render "points", rather 2meter x 2meter square blocks - I'm referring to is a the minecraft anomaly.

I believe I tried everything, but nothing would fix it. I rebooted, reloaded, I attempted to delete and create a Project Point Cloud, but, as expected, all my work cleaning the project was lost.

Here is the screenshot.
Minecraft_view.jpg
If anyone could offer any insight as to how to fix this, I would be most appreciative.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geodezja3d_pl
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Jakub Kałaska
Company Details: Geodezja3D
Company Position Title: owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Large Block Rendering of Point Cloud - Minecraft Anomaly.

Post by geodezja3d_pl »

The same happened many times to me.
I belive the only way to avoid that is to clean scan point clouds not the project point cloud.
flohrd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Flohr
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: VP of Software Engineering

Post by flohrd »

Jon, I am sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Are you working on a project point cloud when cleaning up data?
Have you tried updating your project point cloud? (Project point Cloud -> Update)

When adding up a large number of cleaning operations, loading performance may go down (this seems like an extreme case though) especially when data is loaded from a network server or slow HDD.I strongly recommend to use local SSD for hot data to get max performance.

Removing points from a project point cloud will basically "hide" the points in oder to avoid constant re-structuring of the underlaying spatial data structure - which is a very expensive operation. Adding up many of these remove points operations though can make the "hiding" part complex as well, depending on the number and size of selections that have been been performed to remove points.
What we see here seems to be the initial loading state of your PPC data and the system seems to struggle streaming in more detailed information. What I described above could be a possible explanation for this.

Running "Update" on the PPC will re-structure the data permanently and bake in all your changes and optimize for performance.
symons18027
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by symons18027 »

Thanks flohrd,

We are using a local SSD. I have updated the PPC (several times). This does not fix anything. The 'status bar' on the bottom of the screen appears to be constantly in a loop of Loading Points /Loading Cloud Points (I think) - the 2nd word is looping too quickly to read what it is saying.

Is there anything I can do or do I start again?

To confirm.... your advice for my workflow moving forward is to Clean Up the scan(s) prior to creating the project point cloud?

Jon
flohrd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Flohr
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: VP of Software Engineering

Post by flohrd »

Could you please post a picture of your memory and CPU usage from the windows task manager while the problem happens?
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Leandre Robitaille
Company Details: Cima+
Company Position Title: Civil Technician - Surveyor

Post by Leandre Robitaille »

Hi symons,

I had issues/various bugs cleaning points in the past. I found that it would not work well in a localworspace. The best workflow is to be in a .lsproj. When doing ANY operation involving deleting points in scene, make sure you always wait that the loading points (in the bottom right of scene) is done. If I went too fast I was facing various bugs, sometimes certain scan would loose all their points, I also had your visual bug. Taking your time is the key here.

-LR

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

symons18027
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by symons18027 »

Here is a screenshot as requested:
ScreenshotScene.png
As stated, I'm using the local C: drive and it is an SSD.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

I get the same specific rendering when my computer is working hard. (ex; creating a recap at the same time). I can only assume your GPU is not strong enough, the GTX line is not that strong with pointcloud compared with the Quadro. One reason this might also be happening is that you have adaptive pointcloud sizing. They will load large and slowly get smaller as your computer is able to generate the 3D.
Have you tried turning off adaptive point size and changing it to a fixed size?
1.png
2.png
Leandre Robitaille
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

I just want to state that I had the same permanent error on a 760 scan project, even openning a single scan had 1m+ large blocks that wouldnt go away. This is not related to the cpu, this is actually some sort of corruption in the .fpc files in a lsproj. The solution I found was to delete all the .FPC in the _3scans folder of all the revisions before openning your project. Then when you will open your project you will have no ''3'' on all your scans, meaning there is no .fpc files. You need to right click the main cluster - operations - point cloud tools - create scan point clouds. You NEED to manually delete the .FPC in the _3scans folder or this fix wont work.

It was one of the most fustrating thing I've ever had, this issue appeared on all 4 PC I openned this project on. Then I remembered the bad advices I gave you and came back to give you my fix.

Hope this helps.

-LR
ex.png
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by LPaulCook »

So far the 2019xxx version of SCENE has been nothing but big problems for me. Im sticking with 2018 until FARO fixes all the problems with 2019.
Besides things like mentioned above I can no longer measure the sag of a power line at the midpoint from the chord produced by measuring between the two ends of the conductor. The distance lable still is attached to the midpoint but i cannot measure anything from the measurement line to the connector as i have been able to do in every version before 2019. This is very important to the work that I do.
Ive experienced a number of other major problems with vs. 2019.xxx like planner views starting to come in but shift to total black screen in registration.
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com

Return to “FARO SCENE”