Reality Vs. Model - How to deal with crooked walls?

aurivus|REVIT, 3D Studio MAX, 3D Coat, Lightwave, ZBrush, VRMesh, TopoGun, Blender, Rhino, Trimble Sketchup Etc.
Liqiong
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Liqiong
Company Details: PF Olsen
Company Position Title: GIS Analyst
Linkedin Profile: No

Reality Vs. Model - How to deal with crooked walls?

Post by Liqiong »

Hi,

I am new to laser scanning and jsut started modelling a house, yet I found the walls are not straight, and I am a bit curious how to deal with the issues? If I use software to generate plane, it's does not vertical to the floor, should I change it or just leave it as is?

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Reality Vs. Model - How to deal with crooked walls?

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

If you would model for architectural purposes i would think this is the whole point, if you would model for facility management it's not that important and i would model as such.
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
GCFdesign
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gary Fellows
Company Details: GCF Design Limited
Company Position Title: Director

Post by GCFdesign »

The images attached are an example of 'crooked walls' being modelled / accurately represented within Revit in this example, from point cloud data.

Depending upon the ultimate purpose of the end model, shall require an appropriate solution to be adopted.

Revit does not offer O.T.B. 'crooked walls' to be readily modelled, however, other modelling solutions within Revit can offer a better solution than can be provided by the O.T.B. solution, however, none shall be better than a mesh to truly reflect the finer nuances of such features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP9Lb5A7Rhs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GCFdesign on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Gary Fellows

Director

GCF Design Limited

https://gcfdesign.wixsite.com/gcfdesign
TByers
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Tyler D Byers
Company Details: PCL Constructors LTD
Company Position Title: Field Coordinator

Post by TByers »

What was the type of registration you did? What were the reports generated from said registration? Did you use spheres?
Liqiong
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Liqiong »

TByers wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:20 pm What was the type of registration you did? What were the reports generated from said registration? Did you use spheres?
It's a two storey house, and we use TX6 to do the scanning, and have black-white target as well as spheres, then use Trimble Realworks to register all the scans into a complete point cloud(Target-based, plane based registeration) At last we use Undet for Sketchup plug-in to generate the model.

So I found it extremely difficult to model the crooked walls as Sketchup use planes to model objects.
Liqiong
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Liqiong »

landmeterbeuckx wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:48 pm If you would model for architectural purposes i would think this is the whole point, if you would model for facility management it's not that important and i would model as such.
It is for architectural purpose, and it's the first project so we are really struggled with the requirments and deliverable standards.
GCFdesign
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by GCFdesign »

Liqiong wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:28 pm
landmeterbeuckx wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:48 pm If you would model for architectural purposes i would think this is the whole point, if you would model for facility management it's not that important and i would model as such.
It is for architectural purpose, and it's the first project so we are really struggled with the requirments and deliverable standards.

What specifically are you struggling with?
Regards,

Gary Fellows

Director

GCF Design Limited

Liqiong
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by Liqiong »

GCFdesign wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:33 pm
Liqiong wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:28 pm

What specifically are you struggling with?
Thanks for the questions, and I struggled with
1) Should I model crooked walls or make them straight in the model? and the roof is not straight either, there's 170 mm variance. -- based on people's feedback from above, it seems I should model crooked walls: as is model, not conceptural model.
2) How to model crooked walls in Sketchup? - It's plane based, and whan I extracted plane by Undet4Sketchup, it is always straight. Maybe I need to try mesh? - it's something I never did before, will learn more about it.
3) What are the error tolerance for architectural project, the Trimble TX6 settings is 11mm and when registeration the scans, the error is around 7 mm. When modeling the house, sometimes I manually picked point, so there are errors too.
4) What should I deliver to the client? A Sketchup model, floor plans. - anything else?

Really keen to learn from experienced users and do appreciate any suggestions.
GCFdesign
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by GCFdesign »

Regarding what resolution you're trying to achieve, then mesh is your only reliable solution. However, creating quality meshes relies upon quality point cloud data.

GCFdesign

Regards,

Gary Fellows

Director

GCF Design Limited

Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

4) What should I deliver to the client? A Sketchup model, floor plans. - anything else?
Ask them. If it's an architect, they usually want floor plans, elevations, sections. Use Recap and Autocad to do this. Many architects prefer good old 2D CAD work that is accurate, rather than a 3D model.

If you need a 3D model, you need to have specified a tolerance to the point cloud - often something like 5cm for a BIM model. You also need to have specified an LOD.

Return to “Modeling Software”