V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lane
Company Details: Faro Technologies
Company Position Title: ANZ Account Manager
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: RTC360 Not so great really

Post by MarkJLane »

gary_lawes wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:43 pm Having read the thread covering tilt issues, I realise that the problems we were experiencing are nothing to to with the IMU accuracy, but some other issue, which I would assume was software related. For seemingly no reason, Cyclone field would kick the survey out of level, typically by about 5 -10 degree's. Never seemed to happen on the first scan, we never got to the bottom of when it would happen. The first time it happened we tried to keep going with the plan to correct when back at base, but Field reaches a point where it will no longer link the scans, I assume because the discrepancy between current scan and the survey model would grow to a point where it could no longer handle it. We would just have to start the survey over. Sometines a couple of times in a project. Seems that it is being sorted, although version 1.6 still had the issue.
I understand the latest firmware release resolves a tilt sensor issue. I haven't encountered any tilt problems since the upgrade :like:
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
GeoSLAM
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

Thanks James, that's quite the workflow! very complicated. Interesting that you use both Register 360 and classic in your workflow.
- audit each auto-created link - horizontal + vertical
When you're getting 100-200 scans per day, that's a lot of auditing.

I'm interested to know what the ratio is between field work and office processing with the RTC360. Ours has been terrible - approx 2-3 days for every day in the field - and that's on a top spec workstation.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

Jamesrye wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:09 pm Thanks James, that's quite the workflow! very complicated. Interesting that you use both Register 360 and classic in your workflow.
- audit each auto-created link - horizontal + vertical
When you're getting 100-200 scans per day, that's a lot of auditing.

I'm interested to know what the ratio is between field work and office processing with the RTC360. Ours has been terrible - approx 2-3 days for every day in the field - and that's on a top spec workstation.
It doesn't feel that complicated. It is rather mechanical and repetitive and automatic.

As for using for both R360 and Core - if Core had bundle views with target naming I wouldn't have to use both I guess.

Only a 100 - 200 links to audit for your 100 - 200 scans .. takes maybe 30 seconds for each of horiz/vertical - it is a basic eyeball to make sure it is not bent out of shape. And this is only the initial "primary" links - hence not doing auto-cloud/add suggested - I want a single ok link from here on.

I did in the past create an additional redundant link per station to check each link between stations, but gave up on that. A sprinkling of targets creates a sanity check for the C2C constraints. Those same targets, I should add, usually have values from total station or similar to provide a final check. And on that - I usually freeze the bundle and transform the bundle as a whole onto the control.

Yes - office work seems increased. That said we came from a complete traverse/target workflow to cloud-to-cloud with limited targets. So didn't know any better I guess!

Gut feel it is 1:1 at worst - perhaps 2:1 field to office.
tbwester
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Thad Wester
Company Details: Clarity Scanning
Company Position Title: President

Post by tbwester »

FWIW used the RTC for the first time myself few weeks back.

- 40 scans per hour with the tablet greyscale.
- a few issues with visual reg, but nothing i couldn't fix on the tablet while scanning.
- no real issues.
- brought into cyclone register
- the reg is a little more difficult than a p-series. You can't go around closing loops and correcting bad constraints haphazardly like you could with p-series data. You need to make sure the data is without error before you close your loops. Take a little more time, but overall still a ton of time savings (and much less clicking).
- data size around ~180MB a scan in the IMP

I liked it. Sweet spot would be color capture or a lot of single site multi-day capture. just my opinion.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

Just wrote a post... then the forum deleted it at the point of posting (time out?)... it was a long one. Lesson learnt... :roll:

In summary:

Thanks Thad - you made my Monday!

Can anyone beat this chaps record? https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/ur ... 016115712/

If you need someone to talk to about your experience, for any reason, drop me a line - happy to listen ([email protected])

RTC360 very successful thus far with several complete account roll-overs from one "vendor" to RTC360 after extensive field-to-finish evaluations. Some users with 2 "units" from other vendor traded them in against RTC360 and now just as productive with 1 unit (according to them)... that's quite some achievement.

Next time I will remember to ctrl-c before I hit "submit"! :lol:
gary_lawes
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Gary Lawes
Company Details: jagged Edge Design Ltd
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by gary_lawes »

gary_lawes wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:29 pm A Great thread, thought I would throw in my experience.

......................................................................................

Three very big issues here to me –

1. The bespoke memory stick, this really does not work in a rental model, I also understand they are £250 to replace, so probably not good for anyone!
2. How on earth in this day and age, does a software company not carry version data in their data files. This is quite unbelievable.
3. Why were we not informed of the upgrade?

A change of approach from any one of the above and we would have been fine. As it is, I have to say, we will never ever use Leica again.
Following my rant, I was contacted directly by Leica, to explore the issues that we had experienced. I would like to say that their response has been exceptional, they have both listened to our issues and educated us as to why things are as they are. Suffice to say, we are back on board. Changes to 1.6 of Cyclone have greatly reduced data sizes and addressed a few other workflow issues.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 »

gary_lawes wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:44 pm
gary_lawes wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:29 pm A Great thread, thought I would throw in my experience.

......................................................................................

1. The bespoke memory stick, this really does not work in a rental model, I also understand they are £250 to replace, so probably not good for anyone!
2. How on earth in this day and age, does a software company not carry version data in their data files. This is quite unbelievable.

A change of approach from any one of the above and we would have been fine. As it is, I have to say, we will never ever use Leica again.
Following my rant, I was contacted directly by Leica, to explore the issues that we had experienced. I would like to say that their response has been exceptional, they have both listened to our issues and educated us as to why things are as they are. Suffice to say, we are back on board. Changes to 1.6 of Cyclone have greatly reduced data sizes and addressed a few other workflow issues.
Thank you for the positive feedback Gary - this is great news :D
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by pburrows145 »

https://leica-geosystems.com/products/l ... hite-paper

Some of you might be interested in this document
KlausR
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Klaus Rieke
Company Details: Multivista
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Manager

Post by KlausR »

Capture, process, consume the data.

All boxes ticked, reviewed the workflow and glad to learn from each other.

Thank you Gary for giving me the opportunity to reassure you in the end-to-end workflow :)
gary_lawes wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:44 pm

Mokeefe
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Mark OKeefe
Company Details: Clearedge3D
Company Position Title: Clearedge3D
Skype Name: markokeefe4

Post by Mokeefe »

+1 for Z+F
Our clients that use the 5016 have been really pleased. I am happy to put you in contact with the dealer if you would like.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”