I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Robert ODell
Company Details: MS Consultants
Company Position Title: 3D Laser Scanning Technician
Linkedin Profile: Yes

SCENE 2019.1 (7.4.02351)

Post by robodell »

Our workflow for years on large projects has been we export fls files for exterior, level 1 etc., roof, and stairs etc. and then import those fls files into ReCap and then give our clients the RCP and FLS files. One of the nice things about this process is that we have access to 10 additional laptops that we could process clusters of FLS files on. This process has worked great and efficiently until this morning when we update our SCENE software and found out that Faro has just decided to remove this functionality. You can still export FLS files but you can process them in ReCap.

We have found other bugs as well like being able to choose between perspective and orthographic views in 3D.

We have never liked the new interface that Faro released a while back and still work in the classic interface. It seems like Faro is deciding for it's customers and forcing everyone into the new interface.

If you're in this same situation then avoid the latest update at all cost!
pmuren
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Paul Muren
Company Details: Coast 2 Coast Surveys
Company Position Title: 3D Technical Development Lead

Re: SCENE 2019.1 (7.4.02351)

Post by pmuren »

robodell wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:59 pm we export fls files for exterior, level 1 etc., roof, and stairs etc. and then import those fls files into ReCap
Hey Robodell, we do the same here, and my Recap is also failing to index fls scans after I updated Scene.
In the past, we have fixed this issue by manually registering a certain dll file, e.g.

Code: Select all

regsvr32 C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_faro.ls_1d23f5635ba800ab_1.1.704.0_none_3590b317356bc7cf\iQOpen.dll
Now, however, that fix is failing.

I have tried updating Recap and reinstalling the previous version of Scene, but the problem persists.

Surely Faro did not mean to remove this feature? Fortunately I have access to machines that have not been updated for now.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

For years we've also followed that workflow as well. Export FLS, divide up the work to several machines, and go from there. Divide and conquer. FLS was always the quickest way to get data out of Scene, but after getting increasingly fedup with dealing with issues like this surrounding Faro's SDK it seems like it is time to make a change.

Don't even get me started on Scene's schizophrenic interface. :cry:
Jed
bobbyf90
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Bobby Fenttiman
Company Details: Private
Company Position Title: Revit operator Trainee
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by bobbyf90 »

This is terrible timing for me! I am so glad I saw this thread as I was up for 3 hours last night trying to problem solve this to no success.

We have just got this software yesterday after much convincing to my boss and now this happens and I can't get my projects into recap which is vital for our delivery.

What do we do??? E57 is having issues also and dont get me started on scenes export to rcp option.
pomped
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Pompe
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Team Lead Software Engineering

Post by pomped »

Hi everyone,

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.
The development team is working on a patch release to fix this issue.
We will provide additional information soon in this thread.
VXGrid
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Martin Graner
Company Details: PointCab GmbH
Company Position Title: Research and Development

Post by VXGrid »

Hi all,

we received knowledge of this FARO SDK issue after our customers reported that the import of lsproj and fls isn’t working in PointCab anymore after they updated to the latest Scene release.
Therefore the PointCab development team took a deeper look and found a temporary work around which will work for PointCab and ReCap as well (just tested it). Please find the solution below.

In addition we escalated this issue to the FARO development team and their R&D management, they replied that they are working on it with urgency.

The steps for the work around (You will need admin rights on your computer):
  1. Close PointCab/ReCap and Scene if they are still opened.
  2. Go to the location where Faro Scene is installed, standard is C:/Program Files/FARO/SCENE_7.1 (see image 1).
  3. Copy the file Faro.Licensing.Standalone.dll from this folder into the system32 folder of windows C:/Windows/System32 (see image 2).
  4. Restart ReCap/PointCab.
Please note that after the next Faro Scene Update please delete the file Faro.Licensing.Standalone.dll from the System32 folder!

If there are any questions to this please write me a message or answer to this thread.

Cheers
Martin
PointCab GmbH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SGR
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Sebastian Grottel
Company Details: FARO Technologies Inc
Company Position Title: Manager 3D Software Engineering

Post by SGR »

Hello everyone,

I am sorry for the trouble we might have caused you. We are working to make a patch available as quickly as possible. I can’t promise, but I believe we will be able to deliver next week.

In the meantime, we can provide a workaround for people that just want to be able to continue with projects that were written by previous SCENE versions. This will work if you have a SCENE 2019.0 project and want to import it into ReCap. It will NOT work if you want to import a SCENE 2019.1 project into ReCap.

To get this working you simply need to uninstall the new FARO LS SDK by opening the Windows control panel, go to the uninstall dialog for applications and uninstall the entry for "FARO LS 1.1.704.0 (64bit)".

After that you need to open a Windows command prompt (or Powershell) with Administrator rights and run the command

(Windows 10) "dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup" or

(Windows 7) "dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded"

to clean up the WinSXS cache and make sure the faulty runtime is properly uninstalled.

I hope this helps you.
Sebastian Grottel | Manager 3D Software Engineering | FARO
msivil
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Marko Sivil
Company Details: Sivil 3d Oy
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by msivil »

Hi Faro,

Do you test new versions of Scene before publishing? Just wondering...
Best Regards,
Marko Sivil

www.sivil3d.fi
msivil
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: Marko Sivil
Company Details: Sivil 3d Oy
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by msivil »

I'm trying to generate Scene 2go material now, and Scene 2019.1 seems to crash every time now (fatal error). Don't remember that this has happened to me with earlier versions.
Best Regards,
Marko Sivil

www.sivil3d.fi
bobbyf90
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Bobby Fenttiman
Company Details: Private
Company Position Title: Revit operator Trainee

Post by bobbyf90 »

Will try these work arounds soon and let you know if it's worked. Our point cloud delivery has come to a halt thanks to this little issue so yes Faro please test before publish.

Return to “FARO”