V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: DATA LOSS! Every surveyors worst nightmare

Post by jedfrechette »

jcoco3 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:04 pmWe superglue all of our card's switches before use, so they cannot be accidentally locked.
Don't the scan's fail if the card is locked and can't be written to? I guess I've never run in to it, but if they silently fail to write data when the card is locked that seems like an unfortunate design.
Jed
jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Consultant
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by jcoco3 »

Yes they should fail if locked, but in one case the scanner did not indicate a failure to record scans. Was not until one of my people came back from halfway across the country until we discovered that switch had been bumped when inserting the card and was locked. Was an expensive flight back to rescan :(

We believe the scanner did not indicate a failure to scan due to a glitch or something so it was kind of a double whammy. We had only had that happen once before in 2011. The scanner in both cases was a 120. Other than that, it has been "old faithful" to us and still working great today.

We now check the file size of each scan on the scanner before leaving the site, or import to Scene.

Edit: I failed to mention that a empty scans with name only were recorded to the scanner, but no actual scan data...file size was 0 kilobytes. So maybe the scan recording error checking should check to see if the file size is more than nothing too. Hoping that is apart of the newer scanner firmware, but I guess I will never know unless one of our 350s gives us the same problem.
Geo Scan Surveying
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Sam Lynas
Company Details: Geo Scan Surveying Solutions
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Geo Scan Surveying »

Thank you for your input
An update for you all....

I've heard back from the data recovery company who confirmed that they were unable to recover any data from that day. This would seem to uphold the suspicion that the data was never recorded in the first place. I am returning tomorrow to re-survey :(

Johnathan, your suggestion of supergluing the locking switch is a solid one and I will definitely do this on all SD cards from now on! The same goes for checking the scan filesize on site, thanks for the tip!
SAttaya
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: SAttaya
Company Details: Sev1Tech
Company Position Title: Sr Software Analyst-RemoteSensingEngr

Post by SAttaya »

jcoco3 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:27 pm Yes they should fail if locked, but in one case the scanner did not indicate a failure to record scans. Was not until one of my people came back from halfway across the country until we discovered that switch had been bumped when inserting the card and was locked. Was an expensive flight back to rescan :(

We believe the scanner did not indicate a failure to scan due to a glitch or something so it was kind of a double whammy. We had only had that happen once before in 2011. The scanner in both cases was a 120. Other than that, it has been "old faithful" to us and still working great today.

We now check the file size of each scan on the scanner before leaving the site, or import to Scene.

Edit: I failed to mention that a empty scans with name only were recorded to the scanner, but no actual scan data...file size was 0 kilobytes.
So maybe the scan recording error checking should check to see if the file size is more than nothing too.
Hoping that is apart of the newer scanner firmware, but I guess I will never know unless one of our 350s gives us the same problem.
Could someone from Faro comment as to whether the check for file size of zero
is done at the end of a scan and the operator is informed...just showing the
"image" of the scan collected while scanning, but not from the scan data is
not enough...as a matter of fact, if there is no data on the SD card it is
a "false positive".

Also could check at end if SC card is not in read-only (write protected) mode.
(I'm making assumption each write of the actual scan data is checked in
the sense that the OS does not report a write failure or the number of bytes
written or something.)
==============================

And my personal pet peeve is that the inclinometer has been "accidently" turned off
while checking the levelness before scanning:
1. check the inclinometer
2. accidently change it to not use inclinometer, while meaning to exit the dialog
3. exit inclinometer check "screen / dialog

Just my 2¢s
Ahmed Waheed
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Ahmed waheed Mohamed
Company Details: Engineering of petroleum and process
Company Position Title: Senior Surveying engineer
Skype Name: Eng.waheed88

Post by Ahmed Waheed »

Geo Scan Surveying wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:55 pm On a small (but quite tricky) scanning job today of about 60 scans i encountered an error message after the fourth scan telling me that it wasnt able to record the data for that scan. I rescanned from the same position and received no error message and everything seemed normal so i continued. Each subsequent scan beeped on completion and showed the preview on the screen, with no error messages, all as per usual

Upon uploading to my computer only the first four scans were there and so it appears i have lost everything from after the original warning message. I have sent the card to a professional data recovery company in the hope that it was somehow recorded although i am not too hopeful :(

I am wondering if anyone else has encountered the same problem or has any advice to prevent it from happening again.

Kind regards,
Sam
I had it once before during work at site,so we close that issue we do registration on spot one by one at site to make sure every scan is aligned and registered correctly in addition to check the details to satisfy the project specs.
morabitoc
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chris Morabito
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Regional Sales Manager

Post by morabitoc »

Hello. Saw this post. I work directly for FARO in the US. I have emailed our UK team to provide support. They will likely want to have you provide the scanner log files to see what may have happened.

if you could alert [email protected] then we can have a tech reach out on Monday am as well. You will want to provide the version of Scene you are currently running, and also the model number of your scanner, and possibly any info on recent firmware loaded. They may also offer an upload link to review the data. Just offering help to make the troubleshooting easier for your team. Sorry for the inconvenience. Chris Morabito
Geo Scan Surveying
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Sam Lynas
Company Details: Geo Scan Surveying Solutions
Company Position Title: Director

Post by Geo Scan Surveying »

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

Sam
southamd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: David Southam
Company Details: Faro UK
Company Position Title: Regional Manager EU North

Post by southamd »

Hi Sam,
David Fowkes will give you a call as he is your local account manager,
His details are [email protected] 07545209795
David Southam| 3D Documentation Regional Manager Europe North
Faro Technologies UK Ltd.
Mobile: +44 (0)7794512714| Fax: +44 (0)2476 23 61 50
Nasdaq: FARO | [email protected] |
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

Good story! I can see you running after that truck screaming "Stop, you've got my balls!" :D
SAttaya
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: SAttaya
Company Details: Sev1Tech
Company Position Title: Sr Software Analyst-RemoteSensingEngr

Post by SAttaya »

3DForensics wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:29 pm Good story! I can see you running after that truck screaming "Stop, you've got my balls!" :D
I see the humor in the reply:
1. Should have only put one sphere on the truck, maybe?
2. I missed the post that it is replying to? :lol:

Return to “FARO”