Leica BLK247

Post any marterial related the future technology of laser scanning.
LeicaUK_RC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Leica Geosystems part of Hexagon
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Director UK
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Leica BLK247

Post by LeicaUK_RC »

REAL-TIME REALITY CAPTURE SENSOR

The BLK247 is a real-time reality capture device that uses sensor fusion technology—a combination of edge computing, imagery, and LiDAR—to detect and report physical changes within a space.

https://blk247.com/index.html

youtu.be/IePjHBSP1SE

youtu.be/3a29HpLaPoc
Leica Geosystems
M: 07540 201383
E: [email protected]
W: www.leica-geosystems.com
Oatfedgoat
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matthew McCarter
Company Details: Costain
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Re: Leica BLK247

Post by Oatfedgoat »

This was a far more interesting release to me than the hand held BLK2Go.

This is a distinct change of approach for Leica going for non geospatial markets and kudos to them for trying this.

My initial feeling from the very limited amount of what we have seen so far though is that it may well be too much tech for a result that could pretty much be achieved without an expensive(?) 3d sensor.
Requiring a cat 5 cable to power it pretty much removes it's use on construction sites as a temporary installation.

My doorbell can already allow me to create zones of interest/priority and use facial recognition to give me alerts of when my son gets home, our postman arrives or any unrecognised faces.
Combine this with simple off the shelf free services such as IFTTT it gives users lots of possibilities to create alerts. If someone not familiar spends more than x minutes on my property then flash my outside light to get attention and set off the alarm before any damage has been done.

Surely companies that are established in the security market already have products and solutions that use image/video analysis to detect the majority if not all the things this new BLK247 can do at a lower cost?
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

I am thinking factories, ware-houses and some public safety applications.

Leica doesn't tend to invest in products without the market research to back up a LOT of sales... so there must be a need, a want, a desire. This aligns with Hexagon's smart strategy for cites, manufacturing, PPM... the list is endless

Still a lot to come out about this I feel. I am very intrigued.

My feeling is no one will ever buy just 1...
Andy H
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Andrew Hunter
Company Details: METROPOLITAN POLICE SERVICE
Company Position Title: Senior CAMB Manager

Post by Andy H »

Big brother is watching [emoji6]

I echo oatfedgoat to an extent having seen what traditional optics and software can achieve in these fields.

I’d like to get a better understanding of what the system can offer above and beyond. What software and processing is sat behind the sensor etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oatfedgoat
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Oatfedgoat »

pburrows145 wrote:
For sure. It’s an intelligent move by Hexagon which continues in the direction started by the original BLK. High volume of sales potential of lower priced items compared to the more traditional lower volume of high value such as the P series.

Only takes a few agreements with large property owners such as Westfield malls or railway stations where security is a very real and present risk that could benefit from real time risk identification.

I’m sure further details that emerge will shed more light on this. I would expect integration with AWS and other cloud services to help with high level improvement of prediction of spotting risks.
If I was buying one I would read the fine print on the T&C very carefully to ensure i wasn’t allowing anyone outside of existing channels access to my data.
Matt Young
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Matt Young
Company Details: Baker Hicks
Company Position Title: CAD-BIM Lead
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Matt Young »

Oatfedgoat wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:29 pm
pburrows145 wrote:
For sure. It’s an intelligent move by Hexagon which continues in the direction started by the original BLK. High volume of sales potential of lower priced items compared to the more traditional lower volume of high value such as the P series.

Only takes a few agreements with large property owners such as Westfield malls or railway stations where security is a very real and present risk that could benefit from real time risk identification.

I’m sure further details that emerge will shed more light on this. I would expect integration with AWS and other cloud services to help with high level improvement of prediction of spotting risks.
If I was buying one I would read the fine print on the T&C very carefully to ensure i wasn’t allowing anyone outside of existing channels access to my data.
Stick it in a westfield center and you will definatley need two. One of them will recognise that the other has been stolen, just before it is also stolen.
If you don't see that there is nothing, then you are kidding yourself.
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

Matt Young wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:46 am
pburrows145 wrote:

Stick it in a westfield center and you will definatley need two. One of them will recognise that the other has been stolen, just before it is also stolen.
On that note, does anyone have a RING doorbell? Would be pretty formidable with solid state lidar embedded! Could be fun setting up geo-fences...
Oatfedgoat
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Oatfedgoat »

pburrows145 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:56 am
Matt Young wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:46 am

On that note, does anyone have a RING doorbell? Would be pretty formidable with solid state lidar embedded! Could be fun setting up geo-fences...
I opted for the Nest doorbell instead of a Ring with one of the main reasons being that you can create zones for different alert rules when movement is detected in them.
Plus I figured Google didn't already know enough about me so I'd give them another source of information! :lol:

Return to “Future Technology”