ReCap Pro Decimation Grid

Discuss Autodesk ReCap Studio software here.
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Malte Holm
Company Details: TLS
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

ReCap Pro Decimation Grid

Post by MalteHC »

Hi All

I have a e57 registred pointcloud, that i would like, to get into an RCP file.
The e57 is raw, and i want to do a decimation filtering, therefore i do a 50 mm grid decimation, under the import in ReCap.
I assume that this function in recap means, that the distance between points should be 50 mm.
The raw pointcloud is very dense, since its a building scanning.
If i import the cloud is imported raw into ReCap, the size is about 160 gb and if i set the deciamtion Grid to 50 mm, is it about 100 gb.
I would have thought the size should increase significally (like 1/10 of the original size).

Does anyone know how the filter works and what it actually do?
caddrafting2013
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brad
Company Details: 3d scan
Company Position Title: Guru

Re: ReCap Pro Decimation Grid

Post by caddrafting2013 »

Import it raw - Then export to 50mm decimated to a unified rcp

Can I ask what you will be doing with a 50mm decimated 160gb Pointcloud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MalteHC »

But i dont want to unify it, i want to keep it structured.
Its because, there is a lot of different people, working with the same pointcloud. Some want all the small details and got computers, that are capable of handling big data. Others only want to see colums, walls etc. and are working on laptops. Therefore i do a dense scan, since i can filter down the points, but i cant make it more dense.
caddrafting2013
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brad
Company Details: 3d scan
Company Position Title: Guru

Post by caddrafting2013 »

Oh I see, Well good luck

That will take some time with Recap if you want to keep it structured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Mika Jahkola
Company Details: Myymore Oy
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by mikajahkola »

I tested the same thing with my data.

I have a small point cloud that consists of 10 scans. They were registered in other software and imported to Recap as structured (gridded) e57 files without decimation. The point density of each scan was 2-3 mm on the average. The resulting recap support file size was 1,6 GB.

Then I imported the same files to Recap with 50 mm decimation grid setting. I measured the point density in Recap and found that Recap had arranged the points of each scan in a more or less regular grid with ca 30-35 mm spacing between points. I don't know the excact point count but from the densities you would expect a ratio of 100:1 (decimated vs non-decimated). However, the recap support file was over 700 MB.

Looking inside the support files I found that the bulk of the data is in .rcc and .rcs files, one per scan.
A typical scan looked like this:
rcs size rcc size
not decimated 52,2 MB 10,0 MB
decimated 1,5 MB 10,0 MB

So the rcs size had shrunk roughly proportional to the point count, but rcc remained the same.

From other posts I found out the the rcs file contains the indexed data and rcc file contains the compressed structured scan data.
If I understand right rcs is your actual point cloud and the rcc file is needed for Realview.
So, if you want to keep the structured data there is a lower limit to the support file size no matter how sparse decimation setting you select.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

mikajahkola wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:21 pm I tested the same thing with my data.

I have a small point cloud that consists of 10 scans. They were registered in other software and imported to Recap as structured (gridded) e57 files without decimation. The point density of each scan was 2-3 mm on the average. The resulting recap support file size was 1,6 GB.

Then I imported the same files to Recap with 50 mm decimation grid setting. I measured the point density in Recap and found that Recap had arranged the points of each scan in a more or less regular grid with ca 30-35 mm spacing between points. I don't know the excact point count but from the densities you would expect a ratio of 100:1 (decimated vs non-decimated). However, the recap support file was over 700 MB.

Looking inside the support files I found that the bulk of the data is in .rcc and .rcs files, one per scan.
rcs size rcc size
decimated 1,5 MB 10,0 MB

So the rcs size had shrunk roughly proportional to the point count, but rcc remained the same.

From other posts I found out the the rcs file contains the indexed data and rcc file contains the compressed structured scan data.
If I understand right rcs is your actual point cloud and the rcc file is needed for Realview.
So, if you want to keep the structured data there is a lower limit to the support file size no matter how sparse decimation setting you select.
The RCC files I believe support the realview photos as you stated. You can delete them completely if you don't need the photo panorama in realview.
Data exported from Reg 360 v1.6 to E57 does not seem to take these panoramas over anyway. It creates a "Pseudo panorama" that I believe is created from "Blending" the RGB colored scan points together. It seems apparent from the Realview screen captures and very little difference in the Realview whether the RCC files are present or not

RECAP_DATA_STRUCTURE_2019-06-13_0857.png
RECAP_SUPPORT_FOLDER_STRUCTURE_2019-06-13_0900.png
RECAP_UPDATING_CACHE_2019-06-13_0906.png
Structured_setups_&_Mirror_balls_wo_photos_2019-06-13_0912.png
Mirror_ball_view_wo_photos_(RCC_files)_2019-06-13_0914.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MalteHC »

mikajahkola wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:21 pm I tested the same thing with my data.

rcs size rcc size
decimated 1,5 MB 10,0 MB

That actually makes perfect sense. For what i know, RCP stands for ReCap Project, RCS for ReCap Scan and RCC i dont know.
But it could be a high detailed panorama and thats also makes good sense, why it gets lighter, if you unify and export the data.
dino__balic
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Dino Balić
Company Details: Geobiro
Company Position Title: Laser scanning manager BIM manager
Skype Name: balic.dino992

Post by dino__balic »

Hi to all,

Is there an option to filter point cloud to exact grid, by this I meaning to keep only points on grid (regulary), I have tried space filter
in CloudCompare but not happy with the results because points are not placed in regular grid.

Does anyone have similar problem, I will appriciate software suggestions.

Thank you!

Return to “Autodesk ReCap Studio”