I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Matthew Mcquillian
Company Details: MHLS
Company Position Title: Principal Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Register 360 Export Issues

Post by mmcquillian »

Long time lurker of the forum but first time poster so be nice guys!

I am looking for some advice on Leica Register 360. We have recently purchased the new RTC360 and we are still getting to grips with the software.

I have a fully registered project with two sitemaps. One for the external and one for the internal, these are linked in 3 locations which although they are in seperate sitemaps binds them together as one bundle - fine.

When i go to the publish process, i am looking to export the external and internal seperately so to create 2no. ReCap files when complete. As Register360 does not keep the original scan names then its not viable to export all the scans in one go.

When i click through the publishing options i can see the two site maps on the LHS of the screen, I think ok just click the one you want, export and everything will be good. Except when i export the one that doesnt inherintly have the scan control within it - it looses its coordinate transformation.

Am I doing something wrong along the way?
KlausR
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Klaus Rieke
Company Details: Multivista
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Manager

Re: Register 360 Export Issues

Post by KlausR »

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know. We are aware of the issue and theoretical the individual sitemaps should be exported with the applied coordinate system.

I understand that the issues is handled by the UK 1st level support and you have two options when your final output is a ReCap file:
1. Export all data from Reg360 and import it into ReCap. In ReCap create scan groups and finally regions for internal and external scans, so you can simply switch them individual on and off in ACAD or Revit.
2. In Reg360 create two scan bundles for internal and external scan setups. Apply the control to each individual bundle and you can export them separately in your desired coordinate system. Please make sure that you have a good coverage of targets for the internal and external bundle ;)

Let us know which way worked better for you and we are working to improve Reg360 :like:

Cheers
mmcquillian
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by mmcquillian »

Thanks Klaus

I spoke with Leica Support today and they echoed your post. Its fine in this case as its only a small project, and i am able to differenciate the exported .e57 by size to determine if they are external or internal.

The big issue for me is not just that you cannot export each site map individually, its that the resulting export file names do not match the original scan names. This does however correct itself within recap and it returns to the original scan name. If this was available on export to e57, ptx etc it would make it much easier to split up.

When working on a project with numerous floors and an external, for me having one complete recap file is undesirable due to the size of the file, it becomes very cumbersome to import and more prone to crashes etc even with the regioning as you suggested.

Another thing ive noticed is that many of the scans, when imported to recap seem to be completely blurry on viewing the 'realview images'. I understood that was an issue with v1.5 however i thought that would have been addressed on the new version - possibly just e57? I much prefer this as its so much quicker to get out and in than .ptx.

One more point, do you know if its leica's intention to allow sampling of the point cloud on export in the future. Often, we do not need every point we have captured and is useful to only take a sample of this data for drafting.

Thanks

Matthew
mmcquillian
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by mmcquillian »

Klaus

Further development on having a play around tonight.

I have found another workaround.

1. Register each site map as normal
2. Link together with overlapping scans to create one bundle (2 sitemaps) as normal
3. Apply Control
4. Add 3 Virtual Targets to the internal (Acquire the coordinates using the setup cloud and add these to the .txt control file - these should be perfect 0,0,0)
5. Break links to the external
6. Import new control file and apply control
7. 2 bundles now coordinated correctly

Its long winded but is a workaround especially with multiple floors. Virtual Targets are now present in V1.6
KlausR
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Klaus Rieke
Company Details: Multivista
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Manager

Post by KlausR »

The obvious one with a little effort :)

Return to “Leica Geosystems”