Full Name: Felix
Company Details: Lockheed Martin
Company Position Title: Senior Member Engineering Staff

Bugs in 2019 please fix!

Post by Felix_the_Cat »

Ok

Grrrr. Making products and just stumbling all over these bugs today

Simple ones. Am I the only one having these issues:

1. If you mistakenly click on “locate viewpoint” with a screenshot open the program crashes instantly

2. There is no way to rename screenshots or cluster them in any meaningful way to keep track of what is what. You CAN rename the viewpoints under the screenshots in the tree, but in 2019 they no longer show up in the views folder so this is completely worthless.

3. There is no way to export a batch of shots, and the process of having to navigate to the appropriate save folder EVERY TIME you export a single image is tedious at best

4. If there is a clipping box visible and you make a 3D selection of points with the polygon tool you cannot access the right click menu for the point selection, only for the clipping box. So you constantly have to make the boxes visible and invisible while you are cleaning so you can delete, clear etc

5. First point of the polygon tool doesn’t get recognized! Sometimes it is several points before it starts the rubberband chain thing. And there is this weird thing where you have to move the view a couple of times before you get the polygon thing because the cursor is stuck on whatever the last change the view command was.

6. There is NO WAY to take a 4x4 supersampled screenshot. They are all blurry, like it wasn’t done rendering before the frame buffer is emptied. 3x3 works sort of, but you have to do it twice. Click, wait, click again, and about 50% of the time you get a fully rendered screenshot. If you do anything in between making the second identical shot it doesn’t work. 2x2 it works most of the time but you still have to do it twice.

These problems persist across multiple machines and have been there since 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
surveypm
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Tom Elbich
Company Details: Solid Ventures Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Bugs in 2019 please fix!

Post by surveypm »

I find some of the same actions for 4 & 5 in SCENE 2019. I don’t use the other features noted. While SCENE has more capability for selections for cleaning than Recap, Recap is more stable and functional (less steps) when you have a good clipping box. I also find starting the polygon tool has the same unpredictability; sometimes it works right off the bat and other times the yellow line is delayed so then I have to start over.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

I wish Faro had a better system in place to report and track Bugs & RFEs so that it would be more likely these kinds of things get noticed and addressed. If there were, I certainly know I would report more issues.
Jed
sim.herrod
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Simeon Herrod
Company Details: Terra Measurement Limited
Company Position Title: 3D Data Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sim.herrod »

There is also an issue with processing 1/1 scans with colourisation ON and HDR 5x.

From Faro Europe Support...
Unfortunately our R&D team confirmed that this crash/error with processing 5X HDR scans in Scene as a bug in the current Scene version.

This bug shall be addressed in the next releases.
The size of full resolution scans is very near to the internal memory limit of SCENE for handling color images. As the actual scan size is not always exactly the same, sometimes full res scans are fine for HDR, and sometimes they are not.

We would recommend using only ½ res scans.
Obviously not ideal when you find this out after doing all the site work, and a deadline due for the deliverables, but at least they are addressing the matter.
JohnBunnFARO
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: John Bunn
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Account Manager

Post by JohnBunnFARO »

Felix_the_Cat wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:19 pm Ok

Grrrr. Making products and just stumbling all over these bugs today

Simple ones. Am I the only one having these issues:

1. If you mistakenly click on “locate viewpoint” with a screenshot open the program crashes instantly

2. There is no way to rename screenshots or cluster them in any meaningful way to keep track of what is what. You CAN rename the viewpoints under the screenshots in the tree, but in 2019 they no longer show up in the views folder so this is completely worthless.

3. There is no way to export a batch of shots, and the process of having to navigate to the appropriate save folder EVERY TIME you export a single image is tedious at best

4. If there is a clipping box visible and you make a 3D selection of points with the polygon tool you cannot access the right click menu for the point selection, only for the clipping box. So you constantly have to make the boxes visible and invisible while you are cleaning so you can delete, clear etc

5. First point of the polygon tool doesn’t get recognized! Sometimes it is several points before it starts the rubberband chain thing. And there is this weird thing where you have to move the view a couple of times before you get the polygon thing because the cursor is stuck on whatever the last change the view command was.

6. There is NO WAY to take a 4x4 supersampled screenshot. They are all blurry, like it wasn’t done rendering before the frame buffer is emptied. 3x3 works sort of, but you have to do it twice. Click, wait, click again, and about 50% of the time you get a fully rendered screenshot. If you do anything in between making the second identical shot it doesn’t work. 2x2 it works most of the time but you still have to do it twice.

These problems persist across multiple machines and have been there since 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Felix,

First, let me say that the first release of 2019 SCENE was clunky, with regards to some of the interface behavior you mentioned. We quickly released a service pack for it that fixed that vast majority of "annoyances".

I also wanted to try to help with some of your screenshot issues you mentioned. First, the ability to rename screenshots can be done through its properties window. You can also right-click on Screenshots and choose New > Folder to group these in any way you wish. I have attached a screenshot of me doing this.

You can definitely export multiple screenshots at once, as well. Simply multi-select these screenshots in the project explorer and right-click > Import/Export > Export Pictures. I have also included a screenshot of me doing this.

Please let me know if this helps!
screenshotRenameCluster.PNG
screenshotMultiExport.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Half Nerd, Half Amazing
JohnBunnFARO
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: John Bunn
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Account Manager

Post by JohnBunnFARO »

By the way, I invite anyone to contact me directly regarding bugs or questions about SCENE functionality. My direct email is [email protected]

I can definitely guarantee your voices are being heard, and I will gladly amplify that voice.
Half Nerd, Half Amazing

Return to “FARO SCENE”