Threadripper

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Threadripper

Post by dhirota »

Upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04.2 from 14.04.5 running on i9-9980XE with 128GB RAM was interesting to see all 36 threads running at 100% using all the RAM at 4.2GHz. It reduced processing time on our NavVIS M6 post-processing of scans and merging 200 panorama images (approximately 1200 individual photos) from 7 hours to 4.5 hours.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
Carbix
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Loney
Company Details: Excelsior Measuring
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Carbix »

dhirota wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:54 pm Upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04.2 from 14.04.5 running on i9-9980XE with 128GB RAM was interesting to see all 36 threads running at 100% using all the RAM at 4.2GHz. It reduced processing time on our NavVIS M6 post-processing of scans and merging 200 panorama images (approximately 1200 individual photos) from 7 hours to 4.5 hours.
Ahhhh that sounds awesome 👏🏻. I’m going to have to give that a try. Right now we do everything in windows. There is something massively gratifying when your using north of 80% of your systems power.
Daniel Loney - Owner
Excelsior Measuring inc.
Vancouver - Okanagan - Calgary
www.ExcelsiorLevel.com
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Philip Weyhe
Company Details: 3DGS
Company Position Title: CTO

Post by fillway »

ericguizzetti wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:04 am Are you running your NVME on PCIE (x16)? If not your missing out and not really taking advantage of the power of the Threadripper.
+1. Threadripper's performance in our line of work seems to be highly dependent on a system's drive's specification and architecture in hardware and mapping (input, caching, output) within software.
Last edited by fillway on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

ericguizzetti wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:04 am Are you running your NVME on PCIE (x16)? If not your missing out and not really taking advantage of the power of the Threadripper.

We are using the ASUS X299 DELUX II motherboard which allows 3 each NVMe sticks, but are only using 2 each 2TB Samsung 970 sticks which are doing a nice job for I/O with the i9-9980XE.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

Carbix wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:27 pm
dhirota wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:54 pm Upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04.2 from 14.04.5 running on i9-9980XE with 128GB RAM was interesting to see all 36 threads running at 100% using all the RAM at 4.2GHz. It reduced processing time on our NavVIS M6 post-processing of scans and merging 200 panorama images (approximately 1200 individual photos) from 7 hours to 4.5 hours.
Ahhhh that sounds awesome 👏🏻. I’m going to have to give that a try. Right now we do everything in windows. There is something massively gratifying when your using north of 80% of your systems power.
We always look at running most of the time at 20% vs. 100%, but it is gratifying to see significant reduction of time. This gives us the ability to process larger projects without expanding hardware.

The most awesome parts of our system are: (1) Ubuntu is free; (2) no mandatory updates like W10 to mess up your system; (3) many of the software and hardware people in our business are using some version of linux; (4) many of the applications used daily are running on Ubuntu are free; (5) many of the applications running on Ubuntu have the look and feel of W10, including Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS and the web browsers.

When W7 is not supported after next year, Ubuntu may be the solution, depending on what you are trying to accomplish?
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Construction and Engineering
Company Position Title: RealityCapture

Post by ericguizzetti »

ericguizzetti
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Eric Guizzetti
Company Details: Construction and Engineering
Company Position Title: RealityCapture

Post by ericguizzetti »

Carbix wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:24 pm We use a number of threadripper 2990wx and a mix of i7-i9. I would strongly stray away from AIO coolers. Loved them at first but when (not if) they die it can be massively frustrating. 2990wx under load as a pump fails means blue screen in seconds. A Noctua cooler and a well-ventilated case, nothing crazy, is all you need.

Oh and don't overclock. Do you want the best ROI? Get the overclockable chips and don't overclock. Retail gear is not built for 24-hour loads every week. K or X series Intel chips are binned for just that reason. They passed tests in the factory for thermal and voltage. They should last.

Know your software. Most programs run processes in 1 of 3 ways.

Single thread: Intel current wins here. Clock speed wins.

2-4 threads: this is when you may want an i9 or AMD 1950. Make sure to assign core affinity.

64+ Threads: this is where duel Xeon and AMD 2990wx come in. Clock speed is not everything here. You need to look at core count L1/L2/L3 cache and how well your system can move data. Methods like this are generally suitable for a single task with many of said tasks Q’d up.

Play around with a 1950 build. Great bang for your buck and should provide a lot of headroom to upgrade. 2x Samsung 970pro or evo NVMe 1Tb should be all you need. Don’t raid 0. Export to second drive. By working on a second drive much of the systems auto temp files and caching won’t slow down your IO response rate.

I hope this was helpful.
You try one of these yet? https://www.ricksdailytips.com/add-usb- ... o-your-pc/
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Great post, only thing I'd change is for 2-4 threads I'd recommend an AMD 2600 over Threadripper as the whole build will be much much cheaper and the new Ryzen 3000 chips available at the end of your will be a drop in replacement on the same AM4 motherboard for a cheap and effective upgrade. This gives you a decent inexpensive work horse with 6 cores,12 threads, (3.4ghz 3.9ghz boost) starting out and a jump to (16 core 32 thread 4.3ghz 5.1 ghz) upgrade for ~$500 in a years time (see 3850x). Main thing to look at here are fast well matched RAM and with any self build a gold class PSU with decent cooling.
Carbix wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:24 pm2-4 threads: this is when you may want an i9 or AMD 1950. Make sure to assign core affinity.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Carbix
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Loney
Company Details: Excelsior Measuring
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Carbix »

smacl wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:57 pm Great post, only thing I'd change is for 2-4 threads I'd recommend an AMD 2600 over Threadripper as the whole build will be much much cheaper and the new Ryzen 3000 chips available at the end of your will be a drop in replacement on the same AM4 motherboard for a cheap and effective upgrade. This gives you a decent inexpensive work horse with 6 cores,12 threads, (3.4ghz 3.9ghz boost) starting out and a jump to (16 core 32 thread 4.3ghz 5.1 ghz) upgrade for ~$500 in a years time (see 3850x). Main thing to look at here are fast well matched RAM and with any self build a gold class PSU with decent cooling.
Carbix wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:24 pm2-4 threads: this is when you may want an i9 or AMD 1950. Make sure to assign core affinity.
I agree and can’t wait for the 3000s. I’m curious to see what’s in store for TR4 chips as they will also be getting a refresh.

Another reason for the 1950 is PCIe lanes 20 vs 64. Its not too often people max out their PCIe lanes. But when you do it sucks and your whole build has “something” it “can’t” do.

The prospect of shoving 3x Radeon 7’s into a system and pounding out some heavy OpenCL work loads while pulling and sending massive amounts of data from your 2x NVMe drives through your 128gb of ram.

In the end it’s just really nice to have great options unlike 5 years ago.

PcPartPicker.com is a super helpful resource when planning out a build.
Daniel Loney - Owner
Excelsior Measuring inc.
Vancouver - Okanagan - Calgary
www.ExcelsiorLevel.com
gabrio
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gabrio Rossi
Company Details: Intellegere srl
Company Position Title: technical director

Post by gabrio »

hi guys.
reading your posts one questions arise me: are you using ubuntu as a operation system also for registration software? (like Cyclone, RiScan Pro, Laser Control).
I never thought about it
sorry if it’s a silly question.

thanks

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
arch. Gabrio Rossi, MRICS
[email protected]

Passaggio dei Canonici Lateranensi n. 4
24121 Bergamo - Italy

+39.035.601.1492

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”