I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: John Monell
Company Details: Barron and Associates PC
Company Position Title: Managing Partner - Geospatial Sciences
Skype Name: jmonelll
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Registering large project in Scene 2019

Post by jmonell »

Hello everybody. I have a project that is causing me some grief, hoping I can find a resolution on the board. My project has about 400 scans, broken up into 12 clusters. Each cluster is accurately registered, but when I start to combine them, I run into issues. Sometimes the cluster alignment is lost, clusters move and align with another cluster, or the clusters just won't align accurately. And as I add more clusters to the overall project, registration will take up to an hour before the report is generated.

Could registration be as simple as finding like targets between clusters, manually naming them, then checking the 'force correspondence by manual target names' to align them while not using the 'enable' and 'find' correspondence options? I used sphere target stickers and checkerboards, so alignment between the different clusters is accurate. And there are plenty of objects to create new 3D points.

I'm interested in how others are handling their mega-projects. In my perfect world, I'd like to get all the scans registered in 1 master project, push them to the local coordinate system, then break out specific areas as different parts of the building are worked on.

Computer is not an issue. MSI gaming system with 1TB SSD, i7-6700HQ, 2.6GHz quad core, and 32 GB RAM, running Scene 2019.

Thanks to all-
John
scankukai
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scan ku kaï
Company Details: Scankukai
Company Position Title: CEO

Re: Registering large project in Scene 2019

Post by scankukai »

Hello,

This is what I'd try:
1- once a cluster is correctly registered, do a right click on it, and select "Operations\Correspondences\force current",
2- lock the cluster registration (right click on the Scan Manager),
3- repeat for each individual cluster,
4- Create a new cluster (Scans in my example below), and drag 2 clusters that can be registered together into it,
5- Create a temporary cluster (Temp in my example below), drag the other 10 clusters into it,
6- Register the first cluster (Scans). It should be ok with only 2 clusters,
7- Right click on the cluster "Scans" and force current correspondence,
8- Drag a new cluster from the "Temp" cluster into "Scans", and repeat (update the ScanManager).

Doing it step by step and forcing the correspondence each time helped me on many projects.

But maybe your clusters are still too big. If you split them into smaller clusters, it will bring more flexibility to your registration.
Untitled 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by scankukai on Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jfout
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: John Fout
Company Details: Russell Construction
Company Position Title: Russell Construction

Post by Jfout »

also keep your eyes peeled for building expansion joints.
i have had a couple of clusters from one floor continue across an expansion joint.
when the floors are registered by themselves they look fine. but try to register them via stairwell to the floors below and right at the expansion joint the west end of the building dives off at a 2 or 3 degree angle.
so sometimes you have to split up clusters for their own good.
John Fout
VDC Manager
Russell

modeling/animation/scanning/drones. the four pillars of life. :ugeek:
jmonell
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: John Monell
Company Details: Barron and Associates PC
Company Position Title: Managing Partner - Geospatial Sciences
Skype Name: jmonelll

Post by jmonell »

Thank you both for your input. The areas with expansion joints seemed to behave, no irregularities at the ends of the tunnels. And after opening up the old user interface, Yan's workflow worked like a charm. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Return to “FARO SCENE”