Exporting Tagged/Categorised Scans

3DUserNet, Cintoo, GeoSignum Pointer, Pillr, Pointbox, Pointerra, Pointly, PointSharePlus, Pythagoras, Potree, Vercator, WebShareCloud, Etc.
SceneKraken
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Elliot
Company Details: Company
Company Position Title: Piping Designer
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Exporting Tagged/Categorised Scans

Post by SceneKraken »

Hi Everyone

I am looking to tag and categorise a large scan so that areas of the module can be filtered only displaying certain levels or places. It is a large module that will be updated as more scan data is captured and therefore scans will be added to it down the road.

I have tagged and categorised the scans of the project so far on Scene Websharepointcloud however when I import the data back into Scene in order to add scans to it, the tags and categories don’t seem to import with it.

Is there a way to import scans from Webshare into Scene with the tags and categories there, and then have it exported back to the Webshare again with the tags and categories included, after more data has been added?

Thanks
Elliot
Simon Judd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: simon judd
Company Details: Precision Air Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Owner

Re: Exporting Tagged/Categorised Scans

Post by Simon Judd »

Elliot

The process you described should work.

It is a process that i use all of the time and provided you have applied a category or tag to something it should import.
You can use dummy annotations as holders for Categories and Tags which will re-import to Scene even though a scan is not using the details.

When you have imported websharecloud back into Scene check the report, you should see that the scans have had their category updated if applied and any annotations created in WSC have been imported to hold the categories not yest being used by scans

You will not be able to apply a category to new elements in Scene but when you re-export the project, the Categories should be there for you to use in WSC.

Applying categories in Scene is a feature that I have requested in the past and lets hope one day makes its way in.

I Hope that helps

Simon
SceneKraken
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by SceneKraken »

Hi Simon

Thanks for your reply.

I have used the method that you have suggested and have made some dummy tags in WSC. I have created a few annotations and assigned a category to each annotation. When I import into SCENE after making these annotations in WBC, they appear to import into the project and are viewable in the 3D view. However, they annotations don't appear to be categorised anymore after being imported into SCENE.

The only time that I can see the categories is during the import after clicking the 'Import Webshare Cloud' button and unticking the ‘Quick Import’ checkbox. This then allows me to select and deselect what objects I want to import using the categories and tags to filter rather than take them in with the annotations. What is even more strange is when I export the project back into WBC, the newly imported annotations don't even show up in the newly created project.

Do you have any idea what I may be doing wrong? I am not sure how to tell what scans have what categories/tags applied to them in Scene.

Kind regards,
Elliot
Simon Judd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Simon Judd »

Elliot

You cannot just import a category it must be attached to something so you must check scans or annotations for example

Once imported You cannot see the category of a scan in scene as this is not an accessible parameter to you.
You can though, save the report to see the category changes but its not very usable unless you are happy to read a JSON file or text version.

Any annotations you have created will be visible in either the scan that you made them or the overview map if created in the overview screen. See (attached image)
wscimport.JPG
you will see the category for the newly created annotation made in the overview screen tree and a newly created annotation under the scan tree

Any imported scans will be updated to have their categories/tags (if applied) and all elements will re-write the categories/tags to WSC if they form part of the new export.

One thing to be aware of though is the transformation of scans.

If for example you post a project to WSC and notice that something was wrong with all or part of your registration processes and you re-register in scene prior to WSC import. the incoming transformation for any existing scan will overwrite the transformation in Scene and therefore revert you back to an incorrect registration.

The best thing would be to import WSC to assign categories etc to your scans and once imported then re-register to the correct location.

I hope that helps further
Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SceneKraken
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by SceneKraken »

That's great, Simon. I didn't even think about saving the report in the Final Report section. I am glad to see that my annotations and scans have their assigned categories from WSC in SCENE. However, I am left with one little problem where I cannot preserve the categories upon uploading the SCENE project to WSC after adding new scan data.

The process goes as follows:

- Categorise the scans in the WSC
- Import the WSC data to update scans in SCENE with WSC categories
- Add scan data to the SCENE project.
- Export the project to the WSC as a new project.

Is this the process that you would typically follow in order to achieve what I am trying to do? Obviously, all of this could be avoided if the ability to update an existing WSC with new scans directly was possible but as it is not this is my only way around it while preserving the 500+ scans that have already been categorised on WSC. If you know if there is anything that I am missing or doing wrong in the export process that is not allowing the categories to exist in the new project after exporting from SCENE, then that would possibly solve all my problems.

Thank you very much again for all the support, it is highly appreciated.
Simon Judd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Simon Judd »

Elliot

It does appear that you are following the correct procedure.

I am presuming you only have one version of the project hosted on websharecloud hosted and it is that project that you import.

If you have not changed the registration and all scans are correctly located have you just tried the quick import to ensure all items are selected to see if that solves the issue.

I use this process all the time to re-import, add to and then re-write the WSC

(Silly question but i am presuming here that you re-Write the WSC after adding the new data and not just uploading the Webshare that already exists, without a re-write the new elements and categorised scans will not be in the Websharecloud and all you are doing is re-uploading your previous version

Simon
SceneKraken
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by SceneKraken »

Hi Simon

We have followed your steps and fixed the problem so the tags and catagories are coming in when we re-upload to webshare cloud. Thanks very much for your help.

On your last post though, are you saying that you re-upload directly to the same project? Because currently when we export the project back to Webshare cloud we are creating a new project (the one with the new scan data) and deleting the old one that was previously imported to add to.

Thanks again,
Elliot
Simon Judd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by Simon Judd »

Elliot

Thats great that you have solved the problem and all is ok

On your final note I was trying to say that if you do not re-write the websharecloud in scene you are just uploading a previous version.

We too re-write, upload a new WSC and delete the older version.

Simon
SceneKraken
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by SceneKraken »

No worries, that's what I thought you meant.

Thanks for all your help Simon. Really appreciate it.

Elliot

Return to “Web Based Software”