I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Anders Helgeson
Company Details: Falun Municipality
Company Position Title: Laser Scanner Operator

Help the noob!

Post by skrackodla »

Hi!

I'm new to scanning and Scene and have a couple of questions (or a lot). See this as your chance to flex your skill!

1: If you have a cluster of scans that you're happy with (placement) and want to adjust a second cluster to allign with the first. Say i used planes to force them together. That second cluster now has its own ScanManager, and here's my question; can you just drop the second one into the first cluster without screwing up the adjustments (since the ScanManager disappears)?

2: Is there a way to get results on how much on target you are without making a registration/update?
Seems like often times Scene screws up my placement with C2C and you're stuck in a loop and forced to use the force with planes.

First of many, I'm sure. Very thankful for answers!
Sidenote: I have 10 years of professional Photoshop behind me so i have some knowledge of structure and hierarchy, but it also seems that the logic behind PS and Scene are vastly different...
Raimund58
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Raimund Klink
Company Details: IHM engineering GmbH
Company Position Title: 3d scanning guy
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Help the noob!

Post by Raimund58 »

Hi,
to 1: Use drag and drop using the right click. Then you will get the menu. Choose the "keep position"
2019-03-01 09_11_37-Window.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
\o/
Felix_the_Cat
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Felix
Company Details: Lockheed Martin
Company Position Title: Senior Member Engineering Staff

Post by Felix_the_Cat »

Raimund58 wrote:Hi,
to 1: Use drag and drop using the right click. Then you will get the menu. Choose the "keep position"
2019-03-01 09_11_37-Window.png
+1 on that

Although the answer is given in Haiku form it is 100% spot on and worth its weight in scanning gold. It took me a long time to figure that one out. It’s worth understanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skrackodla
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by skrackodla »

Thank you both!

Any chance of giving the second q a try:

Is there a way to get results on how much on target you are without making a registration/update?
Seems like often times Scene screws up my placement with C2C and you're stuck in a loop and forced to use the force with planes.
I know i can look up scan results in properties, but i guess that is the result from the last registration/update, and not real time measurements?

New one! Man, this has got to be a real rookie question but here goes:
I'm trying to place a scan using top and front view. In both of these the manipulator (? the white arrows and blue ring) is tilted so i can't get it in place using those views (looks good in one means the other one's off).
Can you reset the manipulator so it follows the same axis as my views?
Thanks!!
Raimund58
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Raimund Klink
Company Details: IHM engineering GmbH
Company Position Title: 3d scanning guy
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Raimund58 »

To answer your third question:
It should follow the same axis as your view...
But maybe axis is not the right word here... more like "plane"?
Example: If you are looking from top view it should move only on the x and y axis.
If you are looking from the right view it should move only on the x and z axis.

Sorry but I can not answer the second quesion... Maybe try to speak to somebody, since it is a very difficult question to understand and answer in text.

Regards
Raimund
\o/
Felix_the_Cat
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Felix
Company Details: Lockheed Martin
Company Position Title: Senior Member Engineering Staff

Post by Felix_the_Cat »

Are you not locking the scan managers? Once you get them registered properly, lock them. Then the scans should not move inside the cluster.

You make clusters of clusters. Learn how to use the correspondence view. Make an empty cluster. Put two clusters in it, with scan managers locked. Align the clusters roughly in correspondence view. Hit the update button. It will either give you a dialog box listing the problems, or will hang for a bit and seemingly do nothing in which case you know you have a pretty good shot at a good registration. Register.
skrackodla
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by skrackodla »

Thank you for your answers!

I guess my question was, if i move a scan from one cluster to another, will it keep it´s position?
The right click "keep position" option was new to me, so thanks! But then why wouldn't this be the default drag and drop?
Jfout
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: John Fout
Company Details: Russell Construction
Company Position Title: Russell Construction
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Jfout »

skrackodla wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:27 pm Thank you for your answers!

I guess my question was, if i move a scan from one cluster to another, will it keep it´s position?
The right click "keep position" option was new to me, so thanks! But then why wouldn't this be the default drag and drop?
see my last ten posts. it really should be default. at least not hidden, and never discussed in any documentation.

there has never been a project where you dont have a ton of clusters and have to move them in and out of each other to get a good registration.

this frustrates the hell out of me. so much that i debate abandoning scene every single day!!!
John Fout
VDC Manager
Russell

modeling/animation/scanning/drones. the four pillars of life. :ugeek:

Return to “FARO SCENE”