FARO Scene 2019 - Moving Objects Filter - Not working

Discuss FARO SCENE software here.
ScottKarlins
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Scott Karlins
Company Details: Engineering Systems Inc.
Company Position Title: Technology at Large
Skype Name: ScottKarlins
Linkedin Profile: Yes

FARO Scene 2019 - Moving Objects Filter - Not working

Post by ScottKarlins »

Tried this filter on several different projects, with zero change to the point cloud. No people or vehicular traffic is being removed.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Has anyone gotten it to function?

Thanks!

Scott K.
Scott Karlins
Technology at Large
FARO Certified Trainer
(678) 990-3280 ext. 6025 Fax: (678) 990-3285 Mobile: (770) 338-9946
http://engsys.com
Engineering Systems Inc.
ziaulazam
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Zia ul Azam
Company Details: Faro Technologies
Company Position Title: Software Engineer

Re: FARO Scene 2019 - Moving Objects Filter - Not working

Post by ziaulazam »

Hi,

The moving objects filter works by doing comparisons of scans that have overlap in the cluster or the whole project (depending upon what you have selected). Therefore, the objects that are present in the overlapping regions of one scan but not in the other being compared are the ones that are filtered out.

Therefore, if you do not see any filtering being done, I would suggest to use more aggressive settings than the default settings.

I will suggest to reduce the sensitivity and overlap threshold values in settings and increase the maximum scan comparisons setting.

Just change the settings by one notch and run the filter again. If you still do not like the level of filtering you can again change the settings by one notch and try again until you find the right settings for your project. You can always revert the project history to go back to the previous state of the project, therefore your original scan data is always safe.

In most situations the default settings of the filter should work. The settings need to be changed only if the number of overlapping scans are small in the project or the cluster on which you are running the filter.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Zia ul Azam
MarkL
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lupton
Company Details: Wolverton
Company Position Title: LASER Scanning
Skype Name: [email protected]
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by MarkL »

I was really looking forward to it cleaning up the busy highways I scan a lot. I think there is usually so much traffic in my scans that it can’t tell that they’re different from scan to scan and so leaves most of the passing vehicles alone. I tried multiple settings so I just don’t think that’ll work for me. It did remove some people and the odd vehicle from a much less contested set of scans, but it’s still pretty disappointing.
SAttaya
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: SAttaya
Company Details: Sev1Tech
Company Position Title: Sr Software Analyst-RemoteSensingEngr
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by SAttaya »

If the Faro solution doesn't work you might want to look at the "broom" filter in cloud compare.
I seem to remember seeing a video where it got rid of people on a road/street.
ziaulazam
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Zia ul Azam
Company Details: Faro Technologies
Company Position Title: Software Engineer

Post by ziaulazam »

MarkL wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:49 am I was really looking forward to it cleaning up the busy highways I scan a lot. I think there is usually so much traffic in my scans that it can’t tell that they’re different from scan to scan and so leaves most of the passing vehicles alone. I tried multiple settings so I just don’t think that’ll work for me. It did remove some people and the odd vehicle from a much less contested set of scans, but it’s still pretty disappointing.
Hi Mark,

I have noted down your scenario with high traffic situations for further investigations and improvements. Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

Zia ul Azam

Return to “FARO SCENE”