Target Placement and Registration (BLK360)

Discuss Leica Geosystems hardware here.
pilatquinton
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Quinton Pilat
Company Details: DK Metals
Company Position Title: Intern
Linkedin Profile: No

Target Placement and Registration (BLK360)

Post by pilatquinton »

The company that I work for requires that some of our scans be within 1/8" due to the architectural nature of our scans. After fabricating our own 2D targets, we used them while scanning our latest job, and received mixed results. When the targets were recognized as being shared between two scans by Register 360 (I also occasionally had to manually point them out), the registration worked beautifully. However, many of the targets that should have been picked up by Register 360 simply wouldn't. There were targets that were lined up 180 degrees, about 15 feet away with great contrast, and Register 360 refused to pick them up. At the same time, targets that were 100 feet away on a crazy angle were being picked up immediately. Since these targets wouldn't pick up, I didn't have the minimum of 3 targets in common, and was unable to register strictly by targets. This forced me to register with autocloud, which of course wasn't as accurate. In essence, I have 3 questions:

1.) Would all of these problems be solved by the use of 3D targets?

2.) Since I am scanning buildings, do the targets need to be located on the building at all? Or can I have them in more convenient locations off to the sides and behind the scanner?

3.)Why are these targets not picking up? They have textbook placement and angle, but simply won't pick up.

I have attached a picture as an example of what I am having issues with.

Thank you for your time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tookie
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Iain Took
Company Details: WMP
Company Position Title: Dogsbody

Re: Target Placement and Registration (BLK360)

Post by Tookie »

What do they look like in intensity only view? Some printed targets don't have good contrast between the black and white area in intensity which might be the problem.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by jamesworrell »

Tookie wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 pm What do they look like in intensity only view? Some printed targets don't have good contrast between the black and white area in intensity which might be the problem.
Also not the first time a target looks fine in colour, but in intensity someone has walked in front of it.

In this case, did the bobcat move? ;-p

Targets on objects than can move present a different problem. Not the first time our guys have put a target on a window and someone has opened the window. Roller doors is another past favourite. Some of our guys aren't real bright (aka Ernest). ;-p
geomontgomery
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: George Montgomery
Company Details: ECE Design
Company Position Title: Support Manager

Post by geomontgomery »

If you were to turn your images off, what does the point cloud look like in the region of your target?
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

pilatquinton wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 pm The company that I work for requires that some of our scans be within 1/8" due to the architectural nature of our scans. After fabricating our own 2D targets, we used them while scanning our latest job, and received mixed results. When the targets were recognized as being shared between two scans by Register 360 (I also occasionally had to manually point them out), the registration worked beautifully. However, many of the targets that should have been picked up by Register 360 simply wouldn't. There were targets that were lined up 180 degrees, about 15 feet away with great contrast, and Register 360 refused to pick them up. At the same time, targets that were 100 feet away on a crazy angle were being picked up immediately. Since these targets wouldn't pick up, I didn't have the minimum of 3 targets in common, and was unable to register strictly by targets. This forced me to register with autocloud, which of course wasn't as accurate. In essence, I have 3 questions:

1.) Would all of these problems be solved by the use of 3D targets?

2.) Since I am scanning buildings, do the targets need to be located on the building at all? Or can I have them in more convenient locations off to the sides and behind the scanner?

3.)Why are these targets not picking up? They have textbook placement and angle, but simply won't pick up.

I have attached a picture as an example of what I am having issues with.

Thank you for your time.
We have had the same issue at times with our BLK. The picture target and the intensity target response was good. We have gotten away from targeting manually using pictures (our picture is actually slightly out of alignment with the actual scan data -intensity and we need to send it for calibration.
The BLK'S work best with the HDS (Grey tone targets) -that is straight from Leica support. Also I think the angle of reflectivity has some bearing (although in your case and in ours that is not usually an issue when it misses one). It also seems to very easily auto pick it correctly when you choose B&W target in Register 360 using the Intensity to identify the target. This does add significant time, however ,you still need to go into each scanworld in register 360 and LABEL the targets if you want to use "Target Only" Registration or "Target-First" C2C Registration.
It seems to be a software glitch ,as sometimes it picks out non-targets that are much more poorly defined (when looking closely at the B/W cross pattern).
I think it may have something to do with how much the alternating intensity of the targets stands out against the background intensity behind them, especially with smaller targets. (You need about 10 scan lines on a target to get a very accurate target pointing coordinate) I've thought about constructing a kind of Target Collar -of a specific color that would provide a ring of a specific density completely surrounding the intended target (of course this would block out more behind the target but a bit more isolation (say 2-3") may be enough.
Slewis33
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Shaun Lewis
Company Details: Clark Construciton
Company Position Title: Senior Manager - Reality Capture

Post by Slewis33 »

The company that I work for requires that some of our scans be within 1/8" due to the architectural nature of our scans.
I would rethink the use of a BLK if you have to hit 1/8". Targets or not the BLK360 was not designed to be a survey grade .01' tolerance laser scanner.
pilatquinton
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by pilatquinton »

Tookie wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 pm What do they look like in intensity only view? Some printed targets don't have good contrast between the black and white area in intensity which might be the problem.
It surprisingly doesn't look too bad, possibly even better than with the photo!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pilatquinton
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by pilatquinton »

gsisman wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:15 pm

We have had the same issue at times with our BLK. The picture target and the intensity target response was good. We have gotten away from targeting manually using pictures (our picture is actually slightly out of alignment with the actual scan data -intensity and we need to send it for calibration.
The BLK'S work best with the HDS (Grey tone targets) -that is straight from Leica support. Also I think the angle of reflectivity has some bearing (although in your case and in ours that is not usually an issue when it misses one). It also seems to very easily auto pick it correctly when you choose B&W target in Register 360 using the Intensity to identify the target. This does add significant time, however ,you still need to go into each scanworld in register 360 and LABEL the targets if you want to use "Target Only" Registration or "Target-First" C2C Registration.
It seems to be a software glitch ,as sometimes it picks out non-targets that are much more poorly defined (when looking closely at the B/W cross pattern).
I think it may have something to do with how much the alternating intensity of the targets stands out against the background intensity behind them, especially with smaller targets. (You need about 10 scan lines on a target to get a very accurate target pointing coordinate) I've thought about constructing a kind of Target Collar -of a specific color that would provide a ring of a specific density completely surrounding the intended target (of course this would block out more behind the target but a bit more isolation (say 2-3") may be enough.
I found that 360 would find targets in really strange places (a window mullion for example), but would refuse to find one 5 feet in front of it. I think your target collar idea would work nicely, I was thinking of something along the same line as well.
Tookie
I have made 100> posts
I have made 100> posts
Full Name: Iain Took
Company Details: WMP
Company Position Title: Dogsbody

Post by Tookie »

pilatquinton wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:05 pm It surprisingly doesn't look too bad, possibly even better than with the photo!
Looks like it should work.. is the aliasing from the screenshot or the scan (I see a white bit on the left and a black bit on the right where it shouldn't be) ?
I guess bigger targets are the answer. Or a bigger scanner ;-).
pilatquinton
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by pilatquinton »

Tookie wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:27 pm

Looks like it should work.. is the aliasing from the screenshot or the scan (I see a white bit on the left and a black bit on the right where it shouldn't be) ?
I guess bigger targets are the answer. Or a bigger scanner ;-).
The aliasing is from the scan. Maybe we should be using 12in. targets for what we're doing, since our scanning subjects are so large in scale. I'll have to run that by the boss, not the new scanner part of that though, I don't think he would like that :lol:

Return to “Leica Geosystems”