I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: John Fout
Company Details: Russell Construction
Company Position Title: Russell Construction
Linkedin Profile: Yes

which scan is moving?

Post by Jfout »

registering a large project and trying to use manual registration method (have used visual registration on others)

so i have a large cluster and i am trying to add a single scan to this cluster via manual method using new interface.
once i get my references picked and it does the registration it pulls the scan that is matched out of the cluster and moves it to the location of the individual scan :shock: (I think if I had the cluster locked it would move the whole cluster to the location of the individual scan?)

is there anyway to determine which scan is moving and which is staying put in scene?

i was (with the help of Faro guru) able to get the scans back to where i wanted them(with Visual registration or what is cloud2cloud in other software) but i am curious on how this can be controlled in the Manual registration method. is there something about how things are clustered in the project tree that gives precedence to one cluster over the other?
John Fout
VDC Manager
Russell

modeling/animation/scanning/drones. the four pillars of life. :ugeek:
JohnBunnFARO
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: John Bunn
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: Account Manager

Re: which scan is moving?

Post by JohnBunnFARO »

Hi John,

First, a simple way I tell which scan is moving is to simply Mark Point on an existing scan and copy down that Point's XYZ value. Then check that point after registration.

Secondly, there is a specific way I recommend keeping the original scans from moving and only allowing the new scan(s) to register to the existing. For what it's worth, I ONLY use Manual Registration in the case that there is almost zero overlap. Otherwise, I highly recommend using Visual Registration - Cloud2Cloud for this workflow.

Here are the steps I would follow:

1. Open existing project in Scene

IF NEW SCANS NEED TO BE IMPORTED/PROCESSED, FOLLOW STEPS 2 & 3
2. Go to the Import tab and import new scans
3. Go to Processing tab and process new scans, making sure the SKIP FULLY PROCESSED SCANS is checked and PERFORM AUTOMATIC REGISTRATION is unchecked

4. Go to the Explore tab and right-click the highest-level Scans object -> choose the option for New -> Cluster and name the cluster NewScans
5. Repeat this step and name the new cluster OldScans
6. Select all of the existing scans and drag them into the OldScans cluster.
7. Select all of the new scans and drag them into the NewScans cluster.

AT THIS POINT YOUR PROJECT TREE SHOULD LOOK LIKE :
ProjectName
--Scans
----OldScans
------oldscan1
------oldscan2
----NewScans
------newscan1
------newscan2

8. Go to the Registration tab and register the NewScans cluster to itself with whichever method you choose.
9. In the Explore tab, Right-click the OldScans cluster and go to Properties. In the Folder tab, make sure Cluster and Reference Cluster are checked. Make sure Fixed Cluster is unchecked.
10. Verify the ScanManagers for OldScans and NewScans is locked
11. In the Registration tab, start a Visual Registration on the Scans cluster and use the following settings (VERY IMPORTANT)
-Cloud2Cloud
-NO inclinometer
-NO compass
-Subsampling somewhere near the middle
-Iterations 150
-Search distance 6 inches
12. Click Place and Register and then move the NewScans cluster roughly in place comapared to OldScans cluster. Make sure to also move to an elevation view and verify from there as well.
13. Click START

Hope this helps!
Half Nerd, Half Amazing
Jfout
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by Jfout »

awesome. thanks for the reply John
I have been doing a lot similar to this but not 100% the same.
it gets confusing with all of the autoclustering also if you have a ton of scans.
I come from a different scanning software background where moving things between folders doesn't affect anything about the registration so getting used to scene is a little slow going.

I really appreciate the help. thanks again.
John Fout
VDC Manager
Russell

JohnBunnFARO
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by JohnBunnFARO »

Always glad to help a fellow John!

And trust me, I completely feel your pain on the auto-clustering. This is why I prefer to use Visual Registration to avoid that auto-clustering nightmare.

Sidenote : There is a nice workflow I use to move everything to a single folder without affecting registration results. Plus, you can always set things to Manually Finished after removing auto-clusters, as a last-case scenario.

I am going to be releasing a short webinar soon to go over issues like this. I will keep you posted!
Half Nerd, Half Amazing
Jfout
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by Jfout »

look forward to it.

is there a reason you say to NOT use inclinometer?
I ended up reverting back a few hours after not using inclinometer because it shifts everything off kilter if you don't use it?
John Fout
VDC Manager
Russell

jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

JohnBunnFARO wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:51 am First, a simple way I tell which scan is moving is to simply Mark Point on an existing scan and copy down that Point's XYZ value. Then check that point after registration.
If that's the best way to keep track of which scans are being transformed, doesn't it seem like a failure of the UI design?
Jed
Jfout
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by Jfout »

well it definitely should be easier than that.

I think if you make sure your clusters are locked and make ONE a Reference cluster then you are golden.

the only problem is this isn't accessible thru the new interface in either manual or cloud to cloud workflows.

you have to jump straight to the explore and do it the old fashioned way, or switch back to old interface, which I like better anyway because you can do a few other things that the new UI doesn't have options for. the big one is being able to change the color values to toggle between "by cluster" "by scan" and "by measured value" in a coorespondence view. would be nice to have an elevation gradient added to that.

would also be nice to set default visibilty values for different views. like default to planes and coorespondences turned off instead of having to do it for every new coorespondence view.

but its all good i got my projects registered after some fubars so cheers! :D
John Fout
VDC Manager
Russell

JohnBunnFARO
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by JohnBunnFARO »

There are tons of things that I would improve with Scene for sure, but really the workflow is much simpler than it looks from how I wrote it.

It is essentially creating a Reference cluster and a moveable cluster and making sure to turn off all sensors (inclinometer, Compass, etc.) when doing a Cloud2Cloud or Target-based registration.

By the way, everything is accessible through the new interface now, and I NEVER use the old one at this point. Any old interface tools I would want are all available in a right-click option from the Explore tab.

It definitely takes some getting used to, as well as someone like myself, Duane Doucet, Irene Radcliffe, Brent Slawnikowski,etc. to show you stuff we learned the hard way...but I could definitely make you a believer in the new interface and updated registration methods that I have come to rely on.

I highly value your feedback and look forward to having discussions in the future.

Take care!
Half Nerd, Half Amazing
Jfout
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts

Post by Jfout »

well i love the cloud to cloud (visual ) registration. turning off compass got me some way better numbers, but as i'm working on interior scans i left inclinometer on otherwise things seem to go a bit mad and off kilter.

i'm wondering if you can show me how to set a scan as a reference scan in Manual Registration mode? it doesn't seem to have that option? or are you referring to the fact that you have to go to Explore tab and set the clusters you want to be reference clusters there, then go back to the registration tab and do the Manual registration (picking targets, planes, points, etc)? would be nice to do this directly on manual registration tab. like have the left column always have "reference cluster" checked.

i do use the new interface for importing, processing, manual registration. the explore tab is basically the old interface with bigger tab buttons and some functionality removed (changing point display to "measured value" for instance from shift right click menu)

i am slowly but surely mastering scene. its in my nature to poke at the sore points though :)
John Fout
VDC Manager
Russell

jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

JohnBunnFARO wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:47 amAny old interface tools I would want are all available in a right-click option from the Explore tab.
Faro's love of the right click menu is a bit of a running joke in our office. Need to do something? Check the right click menu. :lol:
Jed

Return to “FARO”