Be up to speed: FARO announces SCENE 2019 and FW 6.4 update with Moving objects Filter and a lot of improvements

Discuss FARO SCENE software here.
MaZschi
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Marc Zschieschang
Company Details: Private
Company Position Title: Product Manager

Be up to speed: FARO announces SCENE 2019 and FW 6.4 update with Moving objects Filter and a lot of improvements

Post by MaZschi »

Hello Community,

We proudly announce the latest Software Version FARO SCENE 2019.0 and Firmware Version 6.4 for FARO Focus S and M Series
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... _cleartime

Whats new?

Firmware 6.4:

- Retake Photo Functionality
The Retake Photo functionality in firmware 6.4 allows you to retake photos during the capture process. If people or traffic is moving through your scanning field of view, simply select these images on the scanner and capture them again. You don't have to restart the full scan or the full image capture process.

- Speed improved color capturing
We have leveraged some potential in the firmware to fasten up the speed of image capturing. In addition we have implemented a speed mode allowing you to improve the color capture speed even more in good light conditions

SCENE 2019:

- Improved scan processing speed
We have optimized the Software for massive task parallelization to leverage your hardware investment in the best possible way. Scan processing times are reduced by 50% average depending on the used hardware. In our tests with different hardware and project configurations, we were able to achieve time savings from 35% up to 70% for scan processing compared to SCENE 2018.0. This of course is also valid for processing used in our true on-site registration workflow.

- New moving object filter
The new moving objects filter allows you to clean up your dataset from moving objects like people, cars or machinery by a push of a button. After inital scan registration, simply start the filter and the project will be cleaned up. In conjunction with the retake photo feature in the firmware, this will reduce your time investment for manual clean up heavily and you don't have the need to capture scans twice in high traffic environments.

- Improved meshes

SCENE 2019 allows to create textured meshes to be exported in post production and design softwares. You can keep the number of triangles low for less file sizes and improved performance but keep visual quality of your dataset. In addition you will be able to manipulate meshed scenes like a clipping box with manipulators for translation and rotation. Also you are now able to import detailed, textured meshes as obj. files to view in Virtual Reality and render using our SCENE Video apps.

- Improved overview map
Created overview maps can now be manipulated using the properties button. Easily change the color of the background, color of the point cloud or visualize scan coverage for selected scans.

So I think you agree a lot of cool things included in the latest versions. Go for a trial and post you time savings in the thread using the new features:

SCENE 2019:
https://knowledge.faro.com/Software/FAR ... _for_SCENE
FW 6.4: https://knowledge.faro.com/Hardware/3D_ ... _downloads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjA6PWN ... e=youtu.be

Wish you happy scanning!
Last edited by MaZschi on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Zschieschang
brianpgreen
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Green
Company Details: Green Forensics-Azure Green Consultants
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: brian.green.forensics
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Be up to speed: FARO announces SCENE 2019 and FW 6.4 update with Moving objects Filter and a lot of improvements

Post by brianpgreen »

Looks exciting. WIll any version of the retake photos function come to the X series? It doesn't appear to be available.
Oliver Knoerzer
I have made 70-80 posts
I have made 70-80 posts
Full Name: Oliver Knörzer
Company Details: FARO Europe GmbH
Company Position Title: Senior 3D Software Engineer

Re: Be up to speed: FARO announces SCENE 2019 and FW 6.4 update with Moving objects Filter and a lot of improvements

Post by Oliver Knoerzer »

The export for SCENE WebShare Cloud also comes with some significant performance improvements:

The overview map creation has already been made faster for the previous version. Now, the panorama image creation is also much faster. You can expect the following performance improvements in comparison to the same settings used previously:

Minimal improvement: “No HD, only color” --> ~33% faster than previously
Maximal improvement: “HD images + HD distance files, color + reflection values” --> ~66% faster than previously

Layout plans with a very large physical size in meters were not well supported previously. A very large number of map tiles was created for them without regard to the resolution of the image in pixels. This is now done which leads to a reduction of the export time and the generated number of map tiles by orders of magnitude:
layout-export-performance.png
(A very extreme case of a layout plan with a size of 20 km.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Senior software engineer working for FARO on WebShare, SCENE 2go, and related products.
My webcomics: Sandra and Woo, Gaia.
scankukai
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scan ku kaï
Company Details: Scankukai
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by scankukai »

Yep,

Faro worked faster than us on the moving objects removal :-) . Well done guys.

But we will still keep on working on cleaning scans, even if we don't include the feature in a plugin. It will be part of the software we're developing (which isn't a competitor of Scene).
MaZschi
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Marc Zschieschang
Company Details: Private
Company Position Title: Product Manager

Post by MaZschi »

brianpgreen wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:57 pm Looks exciting. WIll any version of the retake photos function come to the X series? It doesn't appear to be available.
Unfortunately Firmware 6.4. with its features is only compatible with the Focus S and M models. The X series has a completely different operating system which not allows to simply migrate features from the S and M firmware.
Tgl_Nan wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:11 pm Yep,

Faro worked faster than us on the moving objects removal :-) . Well done guys.

But we will still keep on working on cleaning scans, even if we don't include the feature in a plugin. It will be part of the software we're developing (which isn't a competitor of Scene).
Thank you. Yes please continue working to extend workflows for the laser scanner community. Thats exactly the purpose of the API to allow anyone to extend the default software functionality offering additional workflows.
Marc Zschieschang
sheartab
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Sheartab
Company Details: Arch Eng Design Firm
Company Position Title: BIM Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by sheartab »

Holy Processor Utilization, Batman! I just imported and registered 35 scans in HDR in 15 minutes flat!
2019-01-29_10-34-51.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mortum
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Robin van der Molen
Company Details: ----
Company Position Title: 3D Scanmonkey

Post by Mortum »

sheartab wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:35 pm Holy Processor Utilization, Batman! I just imported and registered 35 scans in HDR in 15 minutes flat!

2019-01-29_10-34-51.jpg
Thanks for sharing! this makes an update quite interesting! :D
Sincerely, Robin van der Molen

Gear and Software:
Ye olde: Faro Photon 120
Faro Scene: 2023
Geomagic Design X
Autodesk Recap
JackM
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jack
Company Details: SpectisGB
Company Position Title: Technical Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by JackM »

Updated to the latest version yesterday and gave it a spin, importing/pre-processing is much faster but the moving object removal seems to take quite a while with hundreds of scans, it may actually be quicker to do manually currently but it's convenient.
I'm still having to manually remove glass reflections (doing this before i run the moving object removal).

Overall, great update!
RealVisuals
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Vincent
Company Details: 3D scanning
Company Position Title: CEO

Post by RealVisuals »

Indeed, the speed in preocessing is really FAST on our 22 Intel Core... 30 BW scans, mixed res 1/5 and 1/2 processed in 25 min! Good job FARO
Jfout
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: John Fout
Company Details: Russell Construction
Company Position Title: Russell Construction

Post by Jfout »

Any danger in upgrading in the middle of a couple of projects?
John Fout
VDC Manager
Russell

modeling/animation/scanning/drones. the four pillars of life. :ugeek:

Return to “FARO SCENE”