Leica Register 360 - z axis issue

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
boxel0
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lewis Boxer
Company Details: Advanced 3D Laser Solutions Ltd
Company Position Title: Technical Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Leica Register 360 - z axis issue

Post by boxel0 »

Hi Guys,

We recently got the chance to have a play with an RTC360

We have ran all the files through the tegister 360 software, everything looked fine in the birdseye view,

But under closer inspection (using the trim view) i noticed that some scans were above others, but in the correct x & y

Any ideas, of how to fix this, I have tried splitting the project down into seperate bundles and then bring them together, but the issue returns
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lewis Boxer
Advanced 3D Laser Solutions Ltd
Technical Director
e: [email protected]
w: www.lasersurveying.com
geomontgomery
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: George Montgomery
Company Details: ECE Design
Company Position Title: Support Manager

Re: Leica Register 360 - z axis issue

Post by geomontgomery »

In REGISTER360, highlight one of your red links, and press V to enter visual alignment. Click top view or side view to toggle between plan and elevation. You can dial elevation in when you're in side view. Here's a quick gif how that might work:

Direct link to gif here
jmeszar
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jay Meszar
Company Details: IMAGINiT Technologies
Company Position Title: Senior Application Engineer

Post by jmeszar »

This can also be accomplished in the field if you are using a tablet to assist in your scanning efforts. On the tablet in Cyclone Field, you can select a link and view it in elevation view and adjust the scan by dragging it up or down. I will follow up with pictures or a short video when i get my ipad close by.
steveholly
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: stephen holly
Company Details: Pure Real Estate
Company Position Title: Architectural Technician

Post by steveholly »

We are also looking at the RTC to purchase. However, have concerns over z-axis tilting issues with it.

I believe it doesnt have a dual axis compensator like the P series, and wanted to know if anyone is aware of Z-axis issues when registering data with the RTC.

Any advice would be appreciated.

KR

Steve Holly
https://modellingarchitecture.co.uk/
LeicaUK_RC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Leica Geosystems part of Hexagon
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Director UK
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh

Post by LeicaUK_RC »

steveholly wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:39 pm We are also looking at the RTC to purchase. However, have concerns over z-axis tilting issues with it.

I believe it doesnt have a dual axis compensator like the P series, and wanted to know if anyone is aware of Z-axis issues when registering data with the RTC.

KR

Steve Holly
https://modellingarchitecture.co.uk/
I’ll give you a call tomorrow ;)
Leica Geosystems
M: 07540 201383
E: [email protected]
W: www.leica-geosystems.com
MarkJLane
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lane
Company Details: Faro Technologies
Company Position Title: ANZ Account Manager

Post by MarkJLane »

steveholly wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:39 pm I believe it doesnt have a dual axis compensator like the P series, and wanted to know if anyone is aware of Z-axis issues when registering data with the RTC.

I've encountered the z-axis issues as well. It seems to occur mostly in small rooms, stairwells in particular - the result is that the scan z-axis comes in to Field360 at an inclined angle at 30-60 degrees.

Firmware & Field360 updates still haven't fixed the problem which costs us a lot of time onsite to manually correct on the ipad, or extra office time to fix in Register360. However, even with the z-axis problems, the scanner still finishes the job faster than a P-series.

Leica don't seem to have any solutions, so I'm keen to hear some suggestions as well.
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
GeoSLAM
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

Mrk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 pm
steveholly wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:39 pm I believe it doesnt have a dual axis compensator like the P series, and wanted to know if anyone is aware of Z-axis issues when registering data with the RTC.

I've encountered the z-axis issues as well. It seems to occur mostly in small rooms, stairwells in particular - the result is that the scan z-axis comes in to Field360 at an inclined angle at 30-60 degrees.

Firmware & Field360 updates still haven't fixed the problem which costs us a lot of time onsite to manually correct on the ipad, or extra office time to fix in Register360. However, even with the z-axis problems, the scanner still finishes the job faster than a P-series.

Leica don't seem to have any solutions, so I'm keen to hear some suggestions as well.
We have also ran into some z-tilt issues for no apparent reason, except also the small stairways (one had a half-circular back wall) and another when we did a 90 degree tilt scan (scanner horizontal) followed by a moving to another vertical scan using the VIS to maintain differential x-y-z

One of the nice things about Cyclone Field 360 is that it has a VERTICAL rotation ability in it's visual alignment that IS NOT in Register 360. In fact that tool in Register 360 only rotates the elevation view in the x-y plane. And even though you can orbit in the elevation view when you go to shift up and down- the view snaps back to the original orientation. This is not the case in Field 360 , which holds the position of you ordbited view while allowing you to shift up and down- it is more than irritating in Register 360 that lacks this. The latest version 1.5.1 has no resolution to this yet.
BrendanL
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Brendan
Company Details: Landpartners
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by BrendanL »

Mrk wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 pm

I've encountered this on a particular job measuring internals of a building, it would happen fairly consistently when entering small unlit bathrooms. I believe it is VIS lock failing for a brief moment, then re-engaging while still in motion(Resets its z axis).

A workaround for this is to move into the room slowly and holding the unit at arms reach(To not block the VIS cameras). Will slow you down briefly and can be a bit awkward maneuvering it sometimes, but saves on trying to fix the wonky z rotation.

Also, z axis rotation would be nice in the desktop apps too
mlarson
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Mike Larson
Company Details: ___________
Company Position Title: Engineer

Post by mlarson »

Is the only way to rotate these scans then in Cyclone Field 360? So I would have to load the scans back onto the RTC360?
Or is there a way to adjust the rotational axis when adjusting scans in the elevation/side view using Cyclone Register 360?
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

mlarson wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:08 pm Is the only way to rotate these scans then in Cyclone Field 360? So I would have to load the scans back onto the RTC360?
Or is there a way to adjust the rotational axis when adjusting scans in the elevation/side view using Cyclone Register 360?
Mike

Yes you can correct it in Reg 360 by using the split view and pick points (3 or more) to align the scans. Depending on how far out it is tilted, until they come out with the vertical rotation in Reg 360 You have to use split view.
It's important that your first scans are pretty level. We noticed that having a good level first scan is helpful to build off of.

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”