mtyler1
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Matthew Tyler
Company Details: ASI 3D Imaging Services
Company Position Title: Owner

Topo Scan

Post by mtyler1 »

I'm asking for advice from you more experienced scanners. Bidding on a scan to be done in conjunction with a survey. Area is the perimeter of a industrial center, surrounded by a fence, 1900 feet x 1500 feet. Very gradual grade, good line of sight. I've done mostly structural or vehicle scans up to now, and this will be something new. I run a Faro Focus 330x.

No need for colorization. How far apart should I do the scans? Do I need targets? Is there anything I need to be taking into consideration for this type of work?

Thank you in advance for any responses.
brian715
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Boehmer
Company Details: Meridian Eng.
Company Position Title: LiDAR Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Topo Scan

Post by brian715 »

I would suggest Targets. If I were doing this I would do my scans at minimum every 100ft but probably more often to see all the areas around the building with spheres in-between the scanner setups 50ft from the scanner. We also have an x330. If you can use an elevator tripod and get he scans higher in the air you may be able to spread it out a little more. You also need good survey control to constrain the scans to for Topo work. At least one every 500ft but I usually put mine closer to 350ft apart now.
mtyler1
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by mtyler1 »

brian715 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:27 pm I would suggest Targets. If I were doing this I would do my scans at minimum every 100ft but probably more often to see all the areas around the building with spheres in-between the scanner setups 50ft from the scanner. We also have an x330. If you can use an elevator tripod and get he scans higher in the air you may be able to spread it out a little more. You also need good survey control to constrain the scans to for Topo work. At least one every 500ft but I usually put mine closer to 350ft apart now.
Thank you sir. Another question: What's the coldest temp you've been able to operate in? Any suggestions on how to extend that range?
brian715
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brian Boehmer
Company Details: Meridian Eng.
Company Position Title: LiDAR Technician
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by brian715 »

We operate below freezing quite a bit without issue. I get too cold long before the scanner does. We did some scanning last year, probably 20-30 scans with a temperature around 20F. As far as extending the range, you can do higher quality scans with denser points at distance or use larger targets. We use 200mm spheres mostly but have used large checkerboards to get further when needed. Also elevating your scanner with a telescoping tripod helps get your angle of incidence better so that you have data on the ground further out.
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by LPaulCook »

I topo large areas w my FARO X330. I use 200mm spheres, 4 in front of me and 4 behind as you need 3 good ones and things can happen, like a car or person blocks one just at the wrong time. Stagger them vertically and horizontally. Use 1/2 max point grid setting setting at lowest Quality, very tall tripod too then you can make 200' station jumps with sphears about 100' away from the scanner. I set some large +sometimes 2'x3' checked targets I survey with my 3" total station to georeference the scans and to check level and calibration. Start at one end and work out your pattern 2st. Never start in the middle. If you must run unto another day to finish set good points you can start with the next day. Some spheres come with matching washers that exactly fit the bottom of the sphere base. Or screw in a checkered target into a fence, building or tree. I make peel and stick checked targets on my laser printer using the target mill app.i had FedEx print the 2x3' targets which can be read at 4, or ,500'..set the distance filter while processing to about 400' to rid noise, works for me.
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
mtyler1
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by mtyler1 »

Thank you to all that replied, I got some really useful response!

Return to “FARO”