V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: piercarlo roasio
Company Details: studio roasio
Company Position Title: titolare
Linkedin Profile: No

RTC360 imu vs topographic bas bubble

Post by topogeo »

I have done some tests on the reliability of the IMU to understand if the scans of the RTC360 are leveled (without topographic relief of support).
I had different outcomes: in some tests the scans were horizontal (scraps of 5-8 mm @ 20 mt) ..but in some cases (a few .. fortunately) I detected errors of horizontality even 8-10 cm @ 20 mt .
For safety ... I use my RTC360 with a base for total station .. so I can level it for every scan.
But I have a doubt! . If the RTC360 is leveled .. does the IMU NOT activate or always work? ignoring the bubble leveling of the topographic base?
Piercarlo
Tolboell
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Anders Tolboell
Company Details: LIFA Surveyors
Company Position Title: Chartered Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: RTC360 imu vs topographic bas bubble

Post by Tolboell »

I have been using the RCT360 for a while now, and i have experienced similar problems. It usually occous when the VIS is active and your're moving around in confined spaces with no or little light or when there is a timeout on the VIS. For scanning areas like that, i usually have a couple of controlpoints.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Re: RTC360 imu vs topographic bas bubble

Post by Jamesrye »

The figure quoted in the specification states that the tilt sensor is IMU based with an accuracy of 3 minutes for any tilt. 3 minutes over 20 meters equates to 17mm, so you will need to have some total station control to level your data.

So long as your group of scans is registered correctly, you can register the who group to the control points (as the whole group will be titled by the same amount) - so you wont need levelled control for every single scan. I guess the frequency of control points is up to the user.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”