Full Name: John Monell
Company Details: Barron and Associates PC
Company Position Title: Managing Partner - Geospatial Sciences
Skype Name: jmonelll
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Scanning several electrical rooms on a tight schedule

Post by jmonell »

Happy New Year All-

I have a project coming up in a couple months, would like to hear what others have used in similar situations. Project entails scanning 80 electrical rooms, average size 20' x 20' with 10' ceilings. Client would like to see transformer location, clearance around it, panel boxes, and switches within the panel boxes. He is also interested in expansion potential within the boxes. Registered pointcloud will be the deliverable, with the potential for 3D models. And the field work must be completed during the plant's 48 hour shutdown this summer.

Unknowns that will be answered during the walkthru next month include panel access: can we remove the doors? Do the switches need to be scanned or just photographed?

My thinking is using a scanner for most of the documentation. Then supplement with a handheld scanner to capture tight areas where the tripod won't fit. That part seems pretty straightforward. Documenting the panels/switches is where I have questions. I could scan each panel box, but the time frame is too tight. Perhaps photographing the switches and merging them with the scans would be better? Suggestions?

Thanks all for your replies, hope the new year is treating you well-

John
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Scanning several electrical rooms on a tight schedule

Post by gsisman »

jmonell wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:25 am Happy New Year All-

I have a project coming up in a couple months, would like to hear what others have used in similar situations. Project entails scanning 80 electrical rooms, average size 20' x 20' with 10' ceilings. Client would like to see transformer location, clearance around it, panel boxes, and switches within the panel boxes. He is also interested in expansion potential within the boxes. Registered pointcloud will be the deliverable, with the potential for 3D models. And the field work must be completed during the plant's 48 hour shutdown this summer.

Unknowns that will be answered during the walkthru next month include panel access: can we remove the doors? Do the switches need to be scanned or just photographed?

My thinking is using a scanner for most of the documentation. Then supplement with a handheld scanner to capture tight areas where the tripod won't fit. That part seems pretty straightforward. Documenting the panels/switches is where I have questions. I could scan each panel box, but the time frame is too tight. Perhaps photographing the switches and merging them with the scans would be better? Suggestions?

Thanks all for your replies, hope the new year is treating you well-

John
John ,

We've been doing this off and on for the last year for our Parking Division's Parking Garages

https://recap360.autodesk.com/project/8 ... d563364721
https://recap360.autodesk.com/project/8 ... d563364721

PM Me

Return to “Request Help With Projects”