V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Cyclone 9.3.1 Cleaning Model Space for Exports

Post by steves01x »

Point Cloud Cleaning.... Possibly a very stupid question with a very simple answer but... :lol:

Workflow used for this particular job: 500+ scans registered via c2c, iStar applied, registration frozen, new registration created with control file using common targets between the scansworlds to shift the point cloud to the correct datum/site coordinates.

So all is well, everyone is happy, full scans exported, production completed, TruViews exported etc, fine BUT i now need to clean up the point cloud, straight forward, each model space cleaned and set to default.....

How do you then export each of the cleaned model spaces as individual scans in the correct coordinate system? If you use scanworld explorer to show/hide the scanworlds then its the original one that loads back up, not the clean one! I know i must be doing something very stupid and missing a simple solution but my brain is fried! :lol:

For future jobs i take it there is no easy way to switch between registered original full 360 scans for TruView export etc to the cleaned scans e.g within SW-001, ModelSpace1 would be assigned to original, ModelSpace2 would be assigned to clean with the ability to turn on/off the individual cleaned scans in the ModelSpace?
James Hall
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James E Hall
Company Details: Dewberry Engineering Inc
Company Position Title: Survey Technician - Cyclone Modeler

Re: Cyclone 9.3.1 Cleaning Model Space for Exports

Post by James Hall »

In the model space where the cleaned geo-refed point cloud is, Click on the cloud and go to file< export it as an e57 (or whatever format you prefer). Then import your e57 files back in to a new database. Rinse and repeat 500 times.
If you select all the cleaned clouds, e57 keeps them as separate scans when imported back in.
I don't know if a monster big e57 file would import back in OK. You could separate your scans to 4 different layers and export one layer at a time.

James
Rikore
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bruce Yager
Company Details: Rikore Geomatics
Company Position Title: Department Head
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Rikore »

Since you already registered, there are only a few ways to fix the issue. The standard way would be to clean, unify and set default, then register the scans. However if you imported and they produced a tight registration most would not want to redo the registration. To fix your issue, I would open the final registered scanworld,(create a backup first), then delete the clouds, all 500. Then open each cleaned scan and copy the scan and paste into the register. After all are in, set default. I've done this on several projects and the cleaned come through to Jetstream and TruView.
Jonny5isAlive
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Jon Adams
Company Details: Forensic and Architectural Consulting
Company Position Title: Director of 3D Reality Capture

Post by Jonny5isAlive »

James Hall wrote: import your e57 files back in to a new database. Rinse and repeat 500 times.

James
Ugh. That's brutal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yuelin
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Yuelin
Company Details: Leica Geosystems
Company Position Title: Lead software engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by Yuelin »

You don’t have to clean up the scans one by one in each ScanWorld’s ModelSpace and set default scan. Actually you can go to Registered ScanWorld, open its ModelSpace, clean up all point clouds together (make sure don’t unify this ModelSpace. If you already unified, create a new ModelSpace then), select all point clouds, invoke the command “Set default clouds” (I don’t remember exact command name). This command will replace all individual ScanWorld’s scan, so it’s better to make a database backup in case you want to preserve original scans.

After running “Set default clouds” command, 1) if you create a new ModelSpace, you should see cleaned scan. 2) if you export scans from Navigator, file should contain cleaned scan. 3) if you open a ScanWorld’s TruSpace, you will still see old scan. Run command “Reset TruSpace”, you should see cleaned scan now.
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by steves01x »

Thanks guys - no perfect / overly quick solution then! :lol:

Fun day ahead tomorrow.
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by steves01x »

James Hall wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:43 pm In the model space where the cleaned geo-refed point cloud is, Click on the cloud and go to file< export it as an e57 (or whatever format you prefer). Then import your e57 files back in to a new database. Rinse and repeat 500 times.
If you select all the cleaned clouds, e57 keeps them as separate scans when imported back in.
I don't know if a monster big e57 file would import back in OK. You could separate your scans to 4 different layers and export one layer at a time.

James
After a few tests n trial and some thinking this is the method i have gone for - mainly due to it ticking a few boxes at once: individual exported clean scans which i can name as per raw data and they convert/load nicely in another bit of software for orthos (yes i know Cyclone can do it but its only good for small areas). And it also leaves the original imp / registration intact with not needing to find another 500gb for storing a cleaned version.

danielgadowski
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Gadowski
Company Details: Transport for London
Company Position Title: Senior Engineer

Post by danielgadowski »

Why not unfreeze the registration and freeze it again? That way you'll get the new database with new cleaned scanworlds, but nothing will change when it comes to the registration.
Then export each scan as the guys mentioned before
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by steves01x »

danielgadowski wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:00 am Why not unfreeze the registration and freeze it again? That way you'll get the new database with new cleaned scanworlds, but nothing will change when it comes to the registration.
As this particular job was a frozen c2c registration then another new registration with the control file to shift it to the correct site grid/datum etc i would need to delete all the modelspaces i have that we are using for for detail orthos / areas of interest in Cyclone etc, un freeze both then do it all again.

I also need to keep the original full res scans in the .imp should it need exported in future as Jetstream/lgs or higher res TruViews generated as the colour is applied from iStar. As you cant just switch from clean to original in Cyclone, 2 copies of the database would be required!

The best approach for this job is to load the final uncleaned modelspace, scanworld explorer and turn each scan back on one at a time (thankfully its only 150 ish scans from a large internal space & mezzanine floors that are required and not all 500!!) clean one at a time then export to .PTX - im managing to clean and export 10+ scans an hour with the ability to name each scan properly.

Ultimately its a time consuming task but it ticks all the boxes for smooth convert/import to 3rd party software, delivering both original scan & cleaned scan both with the correct naming convention as per job spec.
danielgadowski
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Gadowski
Company Details: Transport for London
Company Position Title: Senior Engineer

Post by danielgadowski »

steves01x wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:11 am
danielgadowski wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:00 am Why not unfreeze the registration and freeze it again? That way you'll get the new database with new cleaned scanworlds, but nothing will change when it comes to the registration.
As this particular job was a frozen c2c registration then another new registration with the control file to shift it to the correct site grid/datum etc i would need to delete all the modelspaces i have that we are using for for detail orthos / areas of interest in Cyclone etc, un freeze both then do it all again.

I also need to keep the original full res scans in the .imp should it need exported in future as Jetstream/lgs or higher res TruViews generated as the colour is applied from iStar. As you cant just switch from clean to original in Cyclone, 2 copies of the database would be required!

The best approach for this job is to load the final uncleaned modelspace, scanworld explorer and turn each scan back on one at a time (thankfully its only 150 ish scans from a large internal space & mezzanine floors that are required and not all 500!!) clean one at a time then export to .PTX - im managing to clean and export 10+ scans an hour with the ability to name each scan properly.

Ultimately its a time consuming task but it ticks all the boxes for smooth convert/import to 3rd party software, delivering both original scan & cleaned scan both with the correct naming convention as per job spec.
Ah, fair enough. That's one of the reasons I end to have all my stuff in one registration.
Sounds painful, but doable.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”