I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Andrew Beckett
Company Details: Hellier Mcfarland
Company Position Title: 3D Environments Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Scanner Maintenance/calibration

Post by ABeckett »

Hi everyone,

This topic has been covered in bits and pieces across the forum but I'm just wondering if I can get a quick hands-up on who pays for the scanner to be calibrated yearly and who does not. Any detail on how you came to your conclusion and experience with whatever decision you made would be most welcome.

Thank you everyone.
juliang
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: julian graham
Company Details: M H LODEWYK PTY LTD
Company Position Title: DIRECTOR

Re: Scanner Maintenance/calibration

Post by juliang »

Hi Andrew we pay 6k+ to keep out Faro 120 in warranty and have sent it for calibration a few times and also when it has died on us. It is a bit painful having to send it to Singapore (From Australia) when the best turn around time has been a month with the worst being around 3 months

Regards

Julian Graham
GavFoster
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Gavin Foster
Company Details: Offset Services Ltd
Company Position Title: Photogrammetry - Laser Scan

Post by GavFoster »

We pay for ours annually as the calibration documents are included in most of our bids. Clients want to know that the kits you bring on site is up to the job. Just as with any measuring equipment.
caddman97
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Jason Sturniolo
Company Details: Architectural Firm
Company Position Title: BIM Manager

Post by caddman97 »

We pay an annual fee for maintenance and calibration also. The calibration certificate we need as proof the scanner is maintained. I have found that it is worth the money.
Rikore
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bruce Yager
Company Details: Rikore Geomatics
Company Position Title: Department Head

Post by Rikore »

We keep maintenance on our scanners yearly and have them calibrated each year. That certificate is worth it if someone asks about accuracy.
ABeckett
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by ABeckett »

juliang wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:32 am Hi Andrew we pay 6k+ to keep out Faro 120 in warranty and have sent it for calibration a few times and also when it has died on us. It is a bit painful having to send it to Singapore (From Australia) when the best turn around time has been a month with the worst being around 3 months

Regards

Julian Graham
I'm in Australia also. can I ask who you use to send your scanner to Singapore?
juliang
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: julian graham
Company Details: M H LODEWYK PTY LTD
Company Position Title: DIRECTOR

Post by juliang »

I used Toll to send it and it took 4 days to get from Mount Isa to Singapore but then it seemed to be stuck in Singapore customs for a few days before it got to Faro
ABeckett
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by ABeckett »

juliang wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:36 am I used Toll to send it and it took 4 days to get from Mount Isa to Singapore but then it seemed to be stuck in Singapore customs for a few days before it got to Faro
Thank you so much for the response! You've been more help than faro. Can I ask, did Toll sort out the "temporary import-export permit" for you? I'm really struggling to figure out how to sort that out. Faro have been zero help.
mikajahkola
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: Mika Jahkola
Company Details: Myymore Oy
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by mikajahkola »

We send the scanner for calibration yearly because that is part of the maintenance contract. It is not cheap but at least the cost is predictable. I also think that being able to show a certificate is a sign that you are serious about these things.

I just wonder why it takes so long to get the scanner serviced. The calibration itself is a simple measurement of two reference spheres. I guess the machine is opened and cleaned, and some sort of diagnostic test is done on it. However, it is hard to see how this would take more than a day or two.
Add a day for possible repairs (probably by swapping hardware modules). Last time it took us 6 weeks to get our scanner back to work from repair and calibration in Germany.

I understand there may be queues at the maintenance shop but I don't think our machines should sit there idle waiting for their turn when they could do productive work at home. It would be much better if you could book a time slot well in advance with Faro and send the scanner to the shop just on time and have the serviced machine immediately back.
Aloe1
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Andrew Russell
Company Details: Law Enforcement
Company Position Title: Forensics
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by Aloe1 »

Hi everyone,

From what I know the Singapore centre was servicing all of Asia I believe, however there are service centres opening up in Japan and somewhere else maybe Vietnam so I heard, hopefully this will elevate service times.

I know that those who purchase a premium warranty are first in line for servicing as where standard is second best unfortunately, its a bit of a worry when you hear 3 months of no productivity due to no laser scanner ! I wish they had a local shop in Australia just for basic servicing.

Return to “FARO”