Project point cloud appears as strips

Discuss all FARO SCENE related software issues here.
mozendi
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: mustafa ozendi
Company Details: bulent ecevit university
Company Position Title: research assistant

Project point cloud appears as strips

Post by mozendi » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:17 pm

Dear All,
I am trying to create project point cloud of a scanning project. I registered scans and georeferenced. Then, applied pictures to colorize scan. After deleting some points, I tried to create project point cloud. However, the resulting project point cloud appears as strips (please see the attached image). Do you have any ideas about this issue? How can I generate the project point cloud successfully?
I am looking forward to hearing from you
Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TerraModus
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Egidijus Zilinskas
Company Details: Terra modus
Company Position Title: Managing director
Skype Name: Egidijus.Zilinskas
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Project point cloud appears as strips

Post by TerraModus » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:02 pm

Check the coordinates, the strips appear if it has 6-7 digits.

JMontie
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: James Montie
Company Details: ReCon Engineering
Company Position Title: Piping Designer

Post by JMontie » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:53 pm

I had a similar issue. I was processing on an external SSD drive. I reprocessed it again starting with the SD cards with the same result. I tried a third time with a standard external hard drive and that solved the problem. Wasted $300 of an external SSD drive.

flohrd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Daniel Flohr
Company Details: FARO
Company Position Title: VP of Software Engineering

Post by flohrd » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:50 pm

If your individual scans have large translations, the rendering pipelines will run into problems with point precision due to the limitations of floating poin t values.
This can lead to the striped artifacts you are describing.

To fix this, right click on the root of your model tree and run ->Operations->Registration->Move Clusters....

This will pull up the large translations to the root and remove the problem. The global position of your scans will not be changed by this command. Afterwards, re-create your project point cloud and the stripes should be gone.

jcoco3
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Jonathan Coco
Company Details: Forte and Tablada
Company Position Title: AMM Division Leader
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by jcoco3 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi Daniel,

I have been aware of this stripe problem and the need to recreate the ppc after moving clusters to center of scans for a long time. It is a simple enough procedure, but I wonder if this is not another good case to make a change to a default much like the right click move scans keep position command that was needed some time ago before it was switched to the default. Is there any reason why this could not be the default now? Could that command be inserted by default at the end pf any command or process that would disrupt the center of the clusters, or maybe it could be run prior to the ppc creation automatically? Just wondering if I am missing something or is there a situation in which you would want the center of the cluster not at the center of scans?

For all I know this could already be integrated into the new interface, but honestly as hard as try to adopt the new interface I find myslef reverting back to old interface on every project. I should probably sit down and make a list of the reasons why that is, as I know it might help the devs or at a minimum I might learn something I don't know :)

Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Scott » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:30 pm

jcoco3 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:12 pm
Hi Daniel,
For all I know this could already be integrated into the new interface, but honestly as hard as try to adopt the new interface I find myslef reverting back to old interface on every project. I should probably sit down and make a list of the reasons why that is, as I know it might help the devs or at a minimum I might learn something I don't know :)
+1

mozendi
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: mustafa ozendi
Company Details: bulent ecevit university
Company Position Title: research assistant

Post by mozendi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 am

Hello everyone,
Thanks for messages. When I georeferenced my scans digit number of x coordinates is 6 and digit number of y coordinates is 7. I tried to run ->Operations->Registration->Move Clusters but it did not work, the project point cloud is still in stripes. Then I shifted my scans in the same amount to make digit numbers smaller and it worked.
Do you think this is the case when I want to work with state plane coordinate systems or is there any other solution?
Thanks in advance

Return to “FARO SCENE”