RED HYDROGEN ONE CAMERA PHONE

Post any marterial related the future technology of laser scanning.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Dennis Hirota
Company Details: Sam O Hirota Inc
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

RED HYDROGEN ONE CAMERA PHONE

Post by dhirota »

I received my Red Hydrogen One (RH1) camera phone today. I have 14 days to check it out from ATT to decide if I want to keep it; use it as only a camera; use it as a replacement mobile phone for my Samsung; use it as both a camera and mobile phone; or as a research tool to see what the folks at Red will do with it.

The most interesting aspect of the RH1 for those that might not be familiar with it, are the 4 X 12Mp cameras on the back and the 4 X 8Mp cameras on the front of the phone that is approximately the size of an iPhone 10X. Besides the cameras producing 4 images and "merging" them into "4V" or 3D images displayed by the Leia display viewed as 3D images without glasses. It will also take the standard 2D pictures and video as well. In the several hours of picture and video acquisition, everyone that has seen the RH1 has been very impressed (including myself). It is also supposed to have spectacular audio, but I have not tried that yet.

I do not have the time to describe all the technology detail, so for more information, one should google the RH1.
Dennis Hirota, PhD, PE, LPLS
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: RED HYDROGEN ONE CAMERA PHONE

Post by dhirota »

Here is an example from the RH1 web site of CG (3D render) to 4V (format) conversion for visualization on RH1

Final_oldMan_quadComp_tagged_2x2_REDUCED_2560-1000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

I have another week to decide if I will return my Red Hydrogen One (RH1) to ATT (which I probably will do for a number of reasons). There have been less than 100 LSF members viewing this RH1 thread with no questions or comments. I have decided to post two links as my last post on this subject.

The first by Mark Toia, showing the reaction of the RH1 camera/phone.

https://vimeo.com/283890688
1.11-25-2018 08-51-49 AM.jpg
The second by Mike Cioni, who discusses advanced depth mapping; depth of field transitions; high frequency imaging; the future of raw image capture; the high speed connection to module expansion; and finally the future of the smartphone and cinema.

https://vimeo.com/292247568
2.11-25-2018 08-42-38 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
landmeterbeuckx
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Lieven Beuckx
Company Details: Studiebureau Beuckx
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by landmeterbeuckx »

For which use would you buy and use this in your business Dennis?
LSBbvba
Surveying services - 3D Laserscanning
Tel : +32477753126
www.lsbbvba.be
[email protected]
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

If my Samsung Galaxy S5 cell phone from ATT died or was trashed, I would definitely replace it with a Red Hydrogen One as a cell phone. If my other cell phone (IPhone 6) is trashed (which is getting there), I would have to think about it.

I am still researching other uses.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

There seems to be plenty of phones out there with dual cameras but comparing them the Leica BLK3D the two rear cameras all seem very close together, whereas on the Leica they're on opposite diagonal corners which will lead to far better depth accuracy. Theoretically, you could extract a small point cloud from this using terrestrial photogrammetry which would make it a very handy tool for filling in small areas on a scan job if the accuracy was up to it.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
bdawood
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bashar Dawood
Company Details: Canada West Drafting Inc.
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by bdawood »

dhirota wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:51 pm I have another week to decide if I will return my Red Hydrogen One (RH1) to ATT (which I probably will do for a number of reasons). There have been less than 100 LSF members viewing this RH1 thread with no questions or comments. I have decided to post two links as my last post on this subject.

The first by Mark Toia, showing the reaction of the RH1 camera/phone.

https://vimeo.com/283890688

1.11-25-2018 08-51-49 AM.jpg

The second by Mike Cioni, who discusses advanced depth mapping; depth of field transitions; high frequency imaging; the future of raw image capture; the high speed connection to module expansion; and finally the future of the smartphone and cinema.

https://vimeo.com/292247568

2.11-25-2018 08-42-38 AM.jpg
I like the stylus shown in the picture and pointing at the RH1.
dhirota
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by dhirota »

RH1_256X256.jpg
smacl wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 am There seems to be plenty of phones out there with dual cameras but comparing them the Leica BLK3D the two rear cameras all seem very close together, whereas on the Leica they're on opposite diagonal corners which will lead to far better depth accuracy. Theoretically, you could extract a small point cloud from this using terrestrial photogrammetry which would make it a very handy tool for filling in small areas on a scan job if the accuracy was up to it.
For my good friend Shane, you are correct that there are many mobile phones with dual cameras, but a slight correction in this case, the RH1 has 8 cameras (4X8Mp on front and 4X12Mp on back) that might look like two cameras and they are close together. The RH1 is not designed to compete with the Leica BLK3D or similar devices. I do not believe the RH1 development and the sensor imaging effort will be directed toward what most people on the LSF are interested in today by the few questions and comments on this thread. Someone else will have to report on the expansion module when it shows up in 2019.

I will return my RH1 camera/phone locked in with ATT at the end of the week, since my unlocked RH1 camera maybe phone will show up today. It is always more fun to be in a niche than commodity market place.
www.samhirota.com
[email protected]

Return to “Future Technology”