Full Name: Stuart Buckett
Company Details: Water Corporation
Company Position Title: Principal Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Leica RTC360 Reality Capture Solution

Post by stuartbuckett »

I have one job that is 1.2TB of raw scans
Its about 600gb .imp all colour

Ideally id like to add to a single master registration like ive always done with P series data but with the way cyclones current bug is thats impossible.
Instead if i can create a single registration for each say/zone and then merge the registrations.

75% ofbmy scans are always target based with a few fill in C2C ones in the awkward spots, with an average 150 scans a day.

The issue is i cant merge the pre registered clouds as it can only merge based off targets and not cloud based (well it can but only one at a time which is ridiculous)
Ideally cyclone needs to add a merge clouds based off all constraints nit just target.
That way i can register each day to it self then import it into a master registration and hit merge. The e targets would then align each day to the next and also bring through the cloud constraints, especially the auto add ones.

Cyclone is getting good but still a long way to go :)
A lot better than cyclone 5.0 days.

I have also noticed cyclone currently has a big that is scrambling the colours on export, exported multiple times and the smame scans are wrongly coloured.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

stuartbuckett wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:11 am I have one job that is 1.2TB of raw scans

Ideally id like to add to a single master registration like ive always done with P series data but with the way cyclones current bug is thats impossible.
Instead if i can create a single registration for each say/zone and then merge the registrations.

75% ofbmy scans are always target based with a few fill in C2C ones in the awkward spots, with an average 150 scans a day.

The issue is i cant merge the pre registered clouds as it can only merge based off targets and not cloud based (well it can but only one at a time which is ridiculous)
Ideally cyclone needs to add a merge clouds based off all constraints nit just target.
That way i can register each day to it self then import it into a master registration and hit merge. The e targets would then align each day to the next and also bring through the cloud constraints, especially the auto add ones.

I have also noticed cyclone currently has a big that is scrambling the colours on export, exported multiple times and the smame scans are wrongly coloured.
Stuart

Can you not "Create Virtual Targets" and name the unique targets within your registered "Bundles/modelviews" or separate registrations on the two-plus setups that are the common connection point between the groups, by choosing the two modelviews in the registration GUI and then register the groups together by target ID?. That should connect the two groups, no?
Register 360 handles this pretty easily but is kind of counter-intuitive since you have to pick ALL the pre-registered bundle setups in one bundle tree, and then drag them all into the other Sitemap area- instead of just picking the "Top" of the Bundle tree and dragging it, then performing the C2C or 3+ point registration. Kind of stupid if you ask me.
steves01x
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Smith
Company Details: Scanning
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by steves01x »

Example/question (Cyclone Register) :

If you have a large site, and one building is scanned with RTC (floor a day) . Does each imported floor loose its registration when in Cyclone?

If it keeps registration / scan links, can you not check / freeze each completed floor, improve where required then c2c the over lap between floors (e.g stair landings) then end up with a registration of all the floors? Or do these stairs in above example need targets rather than c2c?

Then the above frozen registration imported in to a p40 of externals using c2c at all the doors / openings? Or does that also need to be done using targets?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

stuartbuckett
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Stuart Buckett
Company Details: Water Corporation
Company Position Title: Principal Surveyor

Post by stuartbuckett »

gsisman wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:04 pm
stuartbuckett wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:11 am I have one job that is 1.2TB of raw scans

Stuart

Can you not "Create Virtual Targets" and name the unique targets within your registered "Bundles/modelviews" or separate registrations on the two-plus setups that are the common connection point between the groups, by choosing the two modelviews in the registration GUI and then register the groups together by target ID?. That should connect the two groups, no?
Register 360 handles this pretty easily but is kind of counter-intuitive since you have to pick ALL the pre-registered bundle setups in one bundle tree, and then drag them all into the other Sitemap area- instead of just picking the "Top" of the Bundle tree and dragging it, then performing the C2C or 3+ point registration. Kind of stupid if you ask me.
Hey Steve, im a Cyclone Register user not 360 but effectively that's what we have been doing to overcome this, good to hear youre thinking the same thing :)
MarkJLane
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Mark Lane
Company Details: Faro Technologies
Company Position Title: ANZ Account Manager

Post by MarkJLane »

jmiller2103 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:19 am
Phill wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:10 pm Hey All

Is anyone importing RTC scans straight into Cyclone (without 360). I've got an older but reasonable spec'd machine (16 gig ram). Cyclone seems to take up all that ram when importing (even in safe mode) and it's currently importing one scan every two hours. So for the possible 100 scans per day it's going to take.... 8.5days to import 1 day of data. Also with the partial import I cant seem to import single scans, just an entire job, so I cant machine share the data and then put it back together. Maybe I'm the only one who isn't using 360.

Possibly missing some setting, or 16gig of ram is no longer enough (however we had it going on a machine with 32 gig and that would reduce the import time down to 4 days per 1 day of scanning).

Cheers

Phill
Hello Phil,

My company directly imports into cyclone register core module with the RTC360 and find that a medium scan no images! takes less than 1 minute to import per scan and with images this time does double and obviously create extremely large files. So my advice is to only take photos when deemed necessary. I would definitely take a look at upgrading your machine our machines have at least 32GB ram 1TB SSD or above and all have i7 processors at a minimum, we have also noticed the the more cores your machine has the faster the import, our desktop is considerably faster than our laptops (half the time of import) we have yet to time unifying times or exports but we assume it would give the same result. We have found by investing in our machines we can dramatically save time and resources and work more efficiently.

With the part time import unfortunately I believe this is still greyed out and unavailable,something that Leica may be able to fix in their new release. We use cyclone core as we feel as though we have more control over the database however with the RTC we have found that errors shown in the registration process nearly always come out at 0.000mm error and with investigations in the database we have found this to be wrong the majority of the time.

A Major bugbear that we are finding in numerous jobs is that on import into cyclone register the scans are coming in at an angle whether its 10,45 or even at 90 degrees we have had them all. We have tried deleting and re importing all the way back to the raw but with the same result. The only way then to fix this is with the old fashioned 3 point pick in that lovely wizard. Whats even more infuriating is that the scan data is the raw file within the database looks correct but when imported into a registration it seems to lose its orientation. I feel like there are a number of bugs when importing the raw RTC files into cyclone core register whether the scans are angled, show no error, loose their chronological order and unable to partially import. We are having to constantly having to come up with solutions to work with the RTC360. It is a great scanner and is extremely fast and produces some excellent data, it just has some registration issues that need to be looked into, (as this time now spent fixing registrations and re importing is eating into the time that it gained in the field) and this seems to be a software issue rather than the scanner.

I would love to hear how everybody else is finding the RTC workflow, and if anyone has had similar experiences or solutions to some of these issues.

Jay
I've encountered this issue with angled scans also. Whole bundles within Register360 would be inclined by 30-60° while other bundles were fine.

I understand a firmware update has fixed a problem with bad tilt sensor values. I hope this will sort it out.
Mark Lane
Sydney, Australia
TLS Tools
GeoSLAM
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

I wish there was a way to import just the scan data. Then I could get it registered nicely and delivered to the BIM team. I could then import the imagery later on and colourise the data for eventual delivery to the client / updated cloud for the modellers.
Harborbuilt
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Ron Hughes
Company Details: HarborBuilt
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by Harborbuilt »

Phil, I would like to take you up on the sample data if available...

Return to “Leica Geosystems”