TigerAC3
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Adam
Company Details: Manufacturing
Company Position Title: Engineer

Re: Leica RTC360 Reality Capture Solution

Post by TigerAC3 »

A firmware update was just released, V1.1.11.

However, I do not see a changelog anywhere, am I overlooking it?
LeicaUK_RC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Leica Geosystems part of Hexagon
Company Position Title: Reality Capture Director UK
Skype Name: Phil.H.Marsh
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by LeicaUK_RC »

TigerAC3 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:54 am However, I do not see a changelog anywhere, am I overlooking it?
It was an engineering firmware that's why.
Leica Geosystems
M: 07540 201383
E: [email protected]
W: www.leica-geosystems.com
geomontgomery
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: George Montgomery
Company Details: ECE Design
Company Position Title: Support Manager

Post by geomontgomery »

Here's the scope of the RTC360 firmware 1.1.11 engineering change, per SCCS RTC's comment:

1. In some rare cases wrong tilt measurements were included in the averaging process of the tiltvalues
1a. For tilted setups it could happen that the 3D preview of a scan in the Leica Cyclone FIELD 360
2. App was wrongly displayed
2a. Several improvements have been implemented to address issues that in rare cases have led tothe following error messages
2aa. Error 5 when the Cyclone FIELD App and the firmware did access setups at the same time
2aaa. Error 7 during acquisition of images
2aab. Error 8 at a start of a scan

All users of the RTC360 are suggested to apply the firmware update to the scanner. Bugfixes were applied in this update.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

topogeo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:58 pm thanks to Leica Italia I have been able to try out the new RTC 360 in complete freedom and on some concrete works
This was the first ...
The work was the internal and external scanning of a small fabricate (on the headboard of a row) on a floor (110 square meters) with two garages and an external area (about 500 square meters).
The site was very articulate with vegetation.
I did 50 scans: 35 medium resolution (6mm / 10 meters) (of which 30 in color 5 without) and 15 low (12 mm / 10 meters) of which 10 in color 5 without.
Job size from RTC360 (raw data): 63 gb.
Regster 360 folder: 22 GB
fIle .lgs created by Register360: 5.9 gb
file .e57: 22 gb
RECAP project: 24 gb.
Impressions:
a) in the Countryside (I have not used Cyclone filed but only the instrument)
- Lightweight and extremely easy to use instrument: all controls are on the side display. Just a touch to change settings (resolution, photos, etc.). Awesome !
- Very comfortable the countdown on the display: absolutely true: 1 minute and 51 seconds for medium resolution scanning with HDR photo.
- Battery life is NOT high: two batteries are sufficient for 60-70 medium resolution scans.
- It is not clear if the VIS has been the link between the scans or not
 (and in fact NOT all the scans have been linked .. see later)
- Very useful double scan function to eliminate moving objects
b) in the Office
- Convenient download from usb pen (.. for me that I use a BLK360 .. quite a 'other planet !!!)
c) Processing with Register 360 (done on a PC not ideal: Intel I5 3.50 Mz, SSD 240 for operating system, HD for data (and the work records of register 360) WD red 8 tb, 12 GB ram, Video card Nvidia Ge Force GTX 1060 6 gb)
- SLOW upload: 12 scans / hour (medium resolution with photo).
- pre-registration: NOT all scans are connected to the VIS. Register has identified 3-4 independent groups (chains of scans). Within the single group the scans are correctly poised .. but the different groups are NOT only among them (position and rotation errors). (even within the groups .... it was necessary to review the individual registration)
- In practice a manual recording was made (visual allignament) but very facilitated by the pre-registration ..
- very good final data also confirming the differences between the control points (about 15 GPS points),
- export: acceptable: 1 hour to export lgs and E57.
Finall considerations:
- in the countryside the RTC360 is truly exceptional: light, simple, fast.
Two things to improve: missing the photo option without HDR and it is not clear if the VIS is correctly connecting the scans.
- VIS helps but ... does not replace manual registration .. Allows you to record scans with minimal overlap ..
- Register 360 simple but a bit 'slow and .. still throw some fiunctions .. you see that it is not yet fully mature ..
(for speed I wanted to use a better workstatoon: I tried to import the datas of the RCT on a more powerful pc (Xeon E3-1240v3 3.6 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, SSD for SO and data) ..but .. loading of the RTC360 data always blocked at 1-4%.
By the way: is there an e-mail to send suggestions for Register 360 ??

Piercarlo
Piercarlo

Could you send a link to the RTC360 RAW data for 2-3 color HDR linked scans? We have been trying to get some RAW Leica format RTC360 data to test and look at. Is the registration file from the VIS embedded in each RAW file or is it coming in as another file with the RAW Scans? We are getting set up soon to rent a RTC for about a month total to scan some parking garages near Washington DC. The storage sizes are helpful for preparing for the space we'll need for these. I'm assuming with the double scan you may be getting a much larger file? Or does it just make the double pass and then remove only the non-congruent points without double recording the second pass of the same points?
Our workstations are W10- 32GB RAM - XEON 2.6-2.8ghz 500GB SSD working & 2TB HDD for short term data storage, NVIDIA QUADRO K4200
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

Please please _PLEASE_ give us an option re: HDR on/off .. like next FW release.

357GB for 166 scans .. just to get a coloured point cloud .. ?

Taking ~ 24hours just to import the thing.

Then the single-threaded, dreadfully slow, LGS exporter is going to take how long? I'd take a punt here .. 3 days?

Going to be 4 or 5 days to deliver anything to the client .. at best.

So the irony was - in the "old" days we would question whether we could afford to get colour because of the scanning time .. now we question whether we want colour because of the processing time and storage absurdity.

Speed. Scale. Simplicity. Eventually.
TigerAC3
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Adam
Company Details: Manufacturing
Company Position Title: Engineer

Post by TigerAC3 »

I have done some test scans using the RTC360 with VIS on, then registered in 360. My question is, is it better to just use the initial links that are created with VIS that give better statistical values, or to add additional links between the scans? Adding links results on a higher error value. I also added control to the scans. I attached screenshots showing all the scenarios.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

I have done some test scans using the RTC360 with VIS on, then registered in 360. My question is, is it better to just use the initial links that are created with VIS that give better statistical values, or to add additional links between the scans? Adding links results on a higher error value. I also added control to the scans. I attached screenshots showing all the scenarios.
I had similar issues with registration in Register 360. I registered with targets and then without. When I used targets, the "strength" value dropped, when I ignored the targets, the "strength" value increased - which was a surprise. My bundle error also increased when targets were used. Also with the registration, the report shows 8mm error between two targets - but this error is only 2mm in the review and optimise page.

In the end, I registered using Cyclone classic. When we compared the scans to the C10, there was less noise in the RTC data.

It is a shame that you cannot "get at" the images - i.e. export the HDR image so that it can be viewed in full resolution. Would be great to be able to upload to a pano-tour app.
topogeo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: piercarlo roasio
Company Details: studio roasio
Company Position Title: titolare
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by topogeo »

X who wants raw data from RTC360 ..
Here is a link to download 4 scans ..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GjxQE ... Luaqt8l8ml

I downloaded other work done with RTC360
40 scans 6mm / 10mt all with HDR
(load time always
63 gb raw data from RTC360 (!!!)
7.1 gb .lgs
25.0 gb project Recap.

To reduce the size and processing time would be very .. very .. very useful that Leica would add the Hdr yes / no option.

On this work (house in the countryside along a road) I have tested three aspects:
1) VIS in the presence of a lot of vegetation
2) difficult C2C registration (few buildings shared between scans)
3) movable objects in the scan (vehicles on the road).

1) moving inside a forest .. the VIS has maintained the connection between the stations! .. (even though, in Register 360 it was not possible to register the connection due to the lack of common surfaces). I did NOT use Cyclone Filed.
2) with difficult C2C situations (few common objects) the automatic registration in Register 360 seemed perfect (scraps 5-8 mm) ..però .. it was WRONG: 30-40 cm of error on the targets. By doing the manual recording, using the function that allows you to delete the scanning areas to NOT use them in the C2C (great feature!) .. the errors are gone. In practice, for security, it seems to me that you always need to do the manual recording ..
3) I used the DOUBLE SCAN function. the weather in the countryside is still very good (2 min 42 sec for 6 mm / 10 mt) .. but the results are LOWER than the expectations: the cars or people in fast movement are not completely eliminated .. (see the attached photos) ).

Piercarlo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caddrafting2013
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Brad
Company Details: 3d scan
Company Position Title: Guru

Post by caddrafting2013 »

Haven’t heard the best things about the RTC360 and colour scans the size is ridiculous - Then the processing on top of that is even more painful.

So much for the dream machine being so quick - Maybe field time but processing and office - NO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ioannis
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Ioannis Papas
Company Details: techical office
Company Position Title: CEO
Skype Name: -

Post by Ioannis »

Can anyone else that have a demo or bought RTC360 give us an update of the instrument or feedback ? Huge files is a big issue..

Return to “Leica Geosystems”