V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Leica RTC360 Reality Capture Solution

Post by gsisman »

topogeo wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:58 pm I could try a RTC360 in the countryside.
The test findings were made outside.
Countryside area with fields, hedges and trees that hid the few buildings present ..
The VIS behaved almost EXCEPTIONAL.
It pre-registered the scans and placed them almost perfectly even in areas where cloud-to-cloud registration would not be possible (due to the lack of common surfaces between scans).
The removal of moving objects (cars and people) is really excellent: it does not take away everything but about 90% of the disturbances.
The scanning speed is really exceptional: the 56 seconds per scan 6mm / 10mt without photos are REAL .. or better .. you only need to add 3-5 seconds before you can move the scanner.
But there are some problems due to the not perfect set up of Register 360 (it is still in beta phase for the RTC360)
a) management of the images tremendously slow .. With the HDR always active, for each scan the images occupy about 2 gb! : I do not use imagine the management of a job with 100 scans (and therefore with 200 gb of images only) !!. Give up images (which require ONLY ONE MINUTE) for it is a real shame!
It would be useful to be able to acquire images even without HDR (..to have smaller jobs).
b) Even if the VIS already adequately poses the scans .. We have not succeeded in preventing Register 360 from always doing a c2c recording, obtaining totally wrong unions (and therefore losing the VIS pre-alignment that could be sufficient).
Register 360 should have a function (as in Recap) to "skip" the recording and go directly to indexing (finalization) then keeping the pre-alignment of the VIS.
I repeat that Rergister360 is still in beta .. and maybe these probelmei will be solved in short ..
The impression is however really good of the RTC360 ..
Too bad for the problem of the size of the images .. I hope that Leica solves it ..

Piercarlo
Thanks for the update Piercarlo,
The countryside scans with very little common surfaces is very attractive and is good to hear- as that is most of our civil jobs in many areas.
Thinking it's using those HiRes images for some of the Fast accurate cloud to cloud. Image non-use in the BLK360 is also bothersome. We will try some by turning it off using the iPAD Recap app but not the Reg 360 import /BLK data manager apps.
Jamesrye
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Rye
Company Details: Merrett Survey Partnership
Company Position Title: Spatial Analyst

Post by Jamesrye »

b) Even if the VIS already adequately poses the scans .. We have not succeeded in preventing Register 360 from always doing a c2c recording, obtaining totally wrong unions (and therefore losing the VIS pre-alignment that could be sufficient).
I think this happens because the data isn't level enough. Are you able to import the data into Cyclone and just hit "register" and then "create scanworld/freeze registration". That should keep the initial registration - would be interesting to see how well that initial registration fits to survey control.
topogeo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: piercarlo roasio
Company Details: studio roasio
Company Position Title: titolare
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by topogeo »

We did the tests with a Leica agent. We can not directly manage the data with our Register 360 because only the new version (1.5) allows to do it .. but it is still in beta ..and not available, even for the tests, to the final user.
It is difficult to decide to buy a product in this way :-)
I'm waiting for the scans to be sent to me in E57 to see them calmly.

Piercarlo
Renalle
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Renalle Ronny
Company Details: Survey campany
Company Position Title: Worker
Skype Name: -

Post by Renalle »

Hello there, i heard that the size of the scans are tremendous ... Can someone tell me what is the size for a medium scan+hdr ?

Regards
TigerAC3
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Adam
Company Details: Manufacturing
Company Position Title: Engineer

Post by TigerAC3 »

I have been seeing 2.4GB per setup average on medium with HDR on.
Renalle wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:51 pm Hello there, i heard that the size of the scans are tremendous ... Can someone tell me what is the size for a medium scan+hdr ?

Regards
geomontgomery
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: George Montgomery
Company Details: ECE Design
Company Position Title: Support Manager

Post by geomontgomery »

Renalle wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:51 pm Hello there, i heard that the size of the scans are tremendous ... Can someone tell me what is the size for a medium scan+hdr ?

Regards
Depends on if you scan inside/outside. Range can be 0.5GB-1.0GB or more, depending on location.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

geomontgomery wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:27 pm

Regards
Depends on if you scan inside/outside. Range can be 0.5GB-1.0GB or more, depending on location.
What you really need to do is get in a white box closed room with dim light and HDR on and you'll capture the maximum amount of reflected points. That should give you a good MAXIMUM number for scan size GB's.
The HDR images add more to the file size than the scan cloud itself!
miklos_hajnal
I have made 40-50 posts
I have made 40-50 posts
Full Name: Miklos Hajnal
Company Details: Magellan Surveys Limited
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by miklos_hajnal »

I believe this is mostly down to the size of the HDR imaging.
We did a test on medium setting (6x6mm@10m) with double pass and HDR photos.
The folder size for a single set up 3.15GB
Photos: 1.74GB 1.75GB with cube maps.
Scan Data: 1.40GB

TigerAC3 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:22 pm I have been seeing 2.4GB per setup average on medium with HDR on.

Regards
Regards,
Miklos Hajnal
topogeo
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: piercarlo roasio
Company Details: studio roasio
Company Position Title: titolare

Post by topogeo »

thanks to Leica Italia I have been able to try out the new RTC 360 in complete freedom and on some concrete works
This was the first ...
The work was the internal and external scanning of a small fabricate (on the headboard of a row) on a floor (110 square meters) with two garages and an external area (about 500 square meters).
The site was very articulate with vegetation.
I did 50 scans: 35 medium resolution (6mm / 10 meters) (of which 30 in color 5 without) and 15 low (12 mm / 10 meters) of which 10 in color 5 without.
Job size from RTC360 (raw data): 63 gb.
Regster 360 folder: 22 GB
fIle .lgs created by Register360: 5.9 gb
file .e57: 22 gb
RECAP project: 24 gb.
Impressions:
a) in the Countryside (I have not used Cyclone filed but only the instrument)
- Lightweight and extremely easy to use instrument: all controls are on the side display. Just a touch to change settings (resolution, photos, etc.). Awesome !
- Very comfortable the countdown on the display: absolutely true: 1 minute and 51 seconds for medium resolution scanning with HDR photo.
- Battery life is NOT high: two batteries are sufficient for 60-70 medium resolution scans.
- It is not clear if the VIS has been the link between the scans or not
 (and in fact NOT all the scans have been linked .. see later)
- Very useful double scan function to eliminate moving objects
b) in the Office
- Convenient download from usb pen (.. for me that I use a BLK360 .. quite a 'other planet !!!)
c) Processing with Register 360 (done on a PC not ideal: Intel I5 3.50 Mz, SSD 240 for operating system, HD for data (and the work records of register 360) WD red 8 tb, 12 GB ram, Video card Nvidia Ge Force GTX 1060 6 gb)
- SLOW upload: 12 scans / hour (medium resolution with photo).
- pre-registration: NOT all scans are connected to the VIS. Register has identified 3-4 independent groups (chains of scans). Within the single group the scans are correctly poised .. but the different groups are NOT only among them (position and rotation errors). (even within the groups .... it was necessary to review the individual registration)
- In practice a manual recording was made (visual allignament) but very facilitated by the pre-registration ..
- very good final data also confirming the differences between the control points (about 15 GPS points),
- export: acceptable: 1 hour to export lgs and E57.
Finall considerations:
- in the countryside the RTC360 is truly exceptional: light, simple, fast.
Two things to improve: missing the photo option without HDR and it is not clear if the VIS is correctly connecting the scans.
- VIS helps but ... does not replace manual registration .. Allows you to record scans with minimal overlap ..
- Register 360 simple but a bit 'slow and .. still throw some fiunctions .. you see that it is not yet fully mature ..
(for speed I wanted to use a better workstatoon: I tried to import the datas of the RCT on a more powerful pc (Xeon E3-1240v3 3.6 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, SSD for SO and data) ..but .. loading of the RTC360 data always blocked at 1-4%.
By the way: is there an e-mail to send suggestions for Register 360 ??

Piercarlo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Leica Geosystems”