Register 360 with Faro scans

Discuss all Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360 software here.
SteveBury
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Bury
Company Details: Bury Associates Limited
Company Position Title: Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Register 360 with Faro scans

Post by SteveBury »

I recently ran a quick test on Register 360 using Faro fls files. Being keen to ditch SCENE (which has failed to progress at all in the more than 6 years we've been using it), I had high hopes for Register 360. Unfortunately it seemed to fall very short of expectations when trying to use it with Faro data. When I dragged and dropped 8 scans in most of them just disappeared, leaving just 2 which the software identified some (very inadequate) links between - the missing scans were nowhere to be found. I tried opening several new projects - the same thing happened each time. I then converted the files to E57, which did all come in, but again just one or two very poor links were identified between just two scans. The other scans had no links at all.
I tried using the alignment tools to place my scans in the right position but still no links were identified.

The scans were of a church with a tall spire. I could rotate the scans around the z-axis and I could move them up or down with the Register 360
alignment tool, but it doesn't seem possible to tilt the scans at all. It looked very much as if Register 360 ignores the Faro inclinometer reading so despite everything being aligned in a plan view, in 3D I had 8 spires criss-crossing each other. Maybe it was because the spire could not be aligned in any way that I couldn't get the cloud to cloud registration to work at all.

Can someone tell me why the identification of links in Faro data doesn't appear to work, if Register 360 recognises the Faro inclinometer, is there a bug that's causing Faro scans to be lost on import and can scans be tilted to align them properly?

Thanks
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Re: Register 360 with Faro scans

Post by pburrows145 »

HI Steve,

Please ensure you have logged these issues with local UK technical support. They can then be escalated as quickly as possible.

I have not seen the issue you mention regarding scans not being shown in the scan panel before.

Are you using any targets in these scans at all? Black & white for example? Are these scans + images, or scan-only?

Thanks,
Paul
pburrows145
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Paul Burrows
Company Details: Leica Geosystems Europe
Company Position Title: Scanning Solutions Manager - Europe

Post by pburrows145 »

Further to this I have spoken with the PM for REGISTER 360 and we would like the files as we have not seen this issue our side, and we have tested a lot of FARO data in REGISTER 360.

Please drop me a line to arrange a copy of the relevant data - if this is something which would benefit you.

We hope to hear from you soon.
SteveBury
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Bury
Company Details: Bury Associates Limited

Post by SteveBury »

Hi Paul

I was playing with trial copy of Register 360 when I was last over in the States - I was using some data that my colleagues over there had captured. I don't have a copy of those scans with me but I'll have a word with them and try and get it across to you in the next few days.

Do you know the answers to any of my questions btw? It'll be useful to know some answers before I look further into whether or not using Register 360 would benefit us.
aembarba
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Alberto Embarba
Company Details: C A Design Services
Company Position Title: Senior Geomatics and Surveying Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by aembarba »

Can anyone bring an update on this subject please?

We are currently looking at the possibility to start registering all our Faro Focus 3D data directly in Cyclone (skipping any SCENE pre-processes) but share the same concerns listed earlier by Steve (thanks for sharing your test, it's been very enlightening).

Before upgrading from Cyclone 9.1 we would like to know whether either Cyclone 9.3 or REGISTER 360 are capable of levelling the .fls scans and colorize them from the pictures.

Thanks,
Alberto
Slewis33
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Shaun Lewis
Company Details: Clark Construciton
Company Position Title: Senior Manager - Reality Capture

Post by Slewis33 »

Leica designs their software to NOT appropriately handle FARO scan files. It is a shame but it is also the truth. As with everything there are work-arounds to cheat the software but it is painful and there is always some little funkiness to it.
Gcutting
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Guy Cutting
Company Details: Leica HDS
Company Position Title: REGISTER 360 Product manager

Post by Gcutting »

Cyclone 9.3 supports the colorizing of the points from the images and leveling of fls files. Of course, the leveling information from scanner needs to be in the fls files. We cannot import images because Faro has not given us permission to import them.
fillway
I have made 30-40 posts
I have made 30-40 posts
Full Name: Philip Weyhe
Company Details: 3DGS
Company Position Title: CTO

Post by fillway »

aembarba wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:39 pm Can anyone bring an update on this subject please?

We are currently looking at the possibility to start registering all our Faro Focus 3D data directly in Cyclone (skipping any SCENE pre-processes) but share the same concerns listed earlier by Steve (thanks for sharing your test, it's been very enlightening).

Before upgrading from Cyclone 9.1 we would like to know whether either Cyclone 9.3 or REGISTER 360 are capable of levelling the .fls scans and colorize them from the pictures.

Thanks,
Alberto
I was trying to do the same thing as well, testing Reg 360 with some FARO scans I had from a few years ago. Just wouldn't load them at all. Also did not play nice with a fully registered .E57 file I tried in there as well. I have to be completely honest and say I did not try very hard though.

ReCap Pro plays very nicely with Faro stuff but it is so basic on features...

I like the way Leica is going with their hardware, despite it being buggy. The BLK 360 is impressively sleek and we did end up with all the data we needed at the end of the day when I tried it out.

I have an awesome Faro rep coming to Oakland to demo their new hardware next week and I'm excited to see what they've come up with recently in person. I REALLY wanna see the RTC360's performance too.

Scene is a dinosaur, but it DOES get the job done at the end of the day...

There seems to be some serious competition in the space right now. Very difficult to decide on who's package (scanner & software) to invest in...
Philip Weyhe
CTO @ 3DGS.io
linkedin.com/in/fillway
www.3DGS.io
aembarba
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Alberto Embarba
Company Details: C A Design Services
Company Position Title: Senior Geomatics and Surveying Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by aembarba »

Gcutting wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:34 pm Cyclone 9.3 supports the colorizing of the points from the images and leveling of fls files. Of course, the leveling information from scanner needs to be in the fls files. We cannot import images because Faro has not given us permission to import them.
Thanks Guy, that's exactly what I needed to know. I've been running my tests on Cyclone 9.3.0 64bit (build 6273) and Register 360 (build r13211), and indeed I have been able to bring in the .fls scans, levelled and in colour.

Within Cyclone 9.3, I have noticed that the colours from the scanner are brought in, regardless whether you check or not the "Map Colors" box within the batch import menu. However, it seems that the .fls files can only be added to the batch one by one, what is a bit of a pain when it comes to importing large size projects. Register 360, on the other hand, does let you drag and drop the scans in groups, what might be a good workaround, assuming that their databases are compatible.

In my tests I have purposely included some off-level scans to check if the inclinometer readings were observed, and regardless Cyclone not labelling any FARO scans as "level", they all came in corrected.
fillway wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:25 am I was trying to do the same thing as well, testing Reg 360 with some FARO scans I had from a few years ago. Just wouldn't load them at all. Also did not play nice with a fully registered .E57 file I tried in there as well. I have to be completely honest and say I did not try very hard though.
Slewis33 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:55 pm Leica designs their software to NOT appropriately handle FARO scan files. It is a shame but it is also the truth. As with everything there are work-arounds to cheat the software but it is painful and there is always some little funkiness to it.
Thanks Philip and Shaun for sharing your experiences as well. Let's just hope it all goes the right way from now on.

Thanks,
Alberto
Phil Marsh
Administrator
Administrator
Full Name: Phil Marsh
Company Details: Laser Scanning Forum Ltd
Skype Name: phil.h.marsh

Post by Phil Marsh »

However, it seems that the .fls files can only be added to the batch one by one, what is a bit of a pain when it comes to importing large size projects.
You can import a folder full of *.fls files via the import autoalign project folder.
LASER SCANNING FORUM
[email protected]

Return to “Leica Cyclone, Cyclone REGISTER 360 & Cyclone FIELD 360”