map cracks in the road

Discuss Leica Cyclone 3DR software here.
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Malte Holm
Company Details: TLS
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

map cracks in the road

Post by MalteHC »

Hi All

I have done a lot of analyses by floors from pointclouds, so then i got a task from a college, of analysing cavitys on a scanned road, i didnt hessitate.
Usally i have been used to colorrise the elevation and put in contourlines. THe colorization will describe the Error and that is easy to see, but it have only been on plane floors and such This time it was from a road, which containes a slope on the side (so rain water will go off) and further more has an elevation by couple of meters from buttom to top.
Our client wants to see all cracks and cavitys on the profile, doing to it has been deformed, caused by a lot of heavy machinery from a constructionsight near by.

How would you guys do the analysis and find the cavitys? I have been thinking on the script for rooling edge method or the slope analysis, but by neither of them, did i manage to get a satisfing result?

OBS. i want to do the analysis in 3DReshaper and export the final result to microstaiton.
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: map cracks in the road

Post by MalteHC »

I can see it is called pot hole mapping.
gilles_3DR
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Gilles Monnier
Company Details: Hexagon
Company Position Title: 3DR Technical Manager

Post by gilles_3DR »

Hi Malte,

Did you give a try to the tool named "Surface flatness" in 3DReshaper (Surveying menu)?
What it does is that is evaluates locally the deviation of a point compared to the local best plane.
As a result, the floor can have a slope and it will still highlight the areas of bumps.

Once the colorization shows these deviations, I would suggest to use the "Localize Values" tool (Measure menu) to get the contours or the areas which are to be highlighted.
You will have the possibility to export these contours to DXF format and therefore to Microstation.

Let us know how it goes!
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by MalteHC »

gilles_3Dreshaper wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:00 pm Hi Malte,

Did you give a try to the tool named "Surface flatness" in 3DReshaper (Surveying menu)?
What it does is that is evaluates locally the deviation of a point compared to the local best plane.
As a result, the floor can have a slope and it will still highlight the areas of bumps.

Once the colorization shows these deviations, I would suggest to use the "Localize Values" tool (Measure menu) to get the contours or the areas which are to be highlighted.
You will have the possibility to export these contours to DXF format and therefore to Microstation.

Let us know how it goes!
Surface flatness doesnt really work for me. I cant manage to get any real results. I also have tried to make contourlines and export that to dxf, but both autocad and microstation wont read it correctly.
Reshaper is not so good at the export part. Its a really strong analysis tool, but we never manage to get a product we cna deliver to a customer.
Mark Francis
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Mark Francis
Company Details: Leica Geosystems
Company Position Title: Geomatics Market Segment Manager

Post by Mark Francis »

Not 3DReshaper sorry, but perhaps useful to be aware of for future:

https://leica-geosystems.com/en-GB/prod ... mapfactory

Leica Pegasus:Two with the pavement camera and MapFactory office software includes Road Analysis tools including Crack Index
Jennifer L.
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Jennifer Clear
Company Details: CRKennedy
Company Position Title: Application Engineer

Post by Jennifer L. »

MalteHC wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:11 pm ... I also have tried to make contourlines and export that to dxf, but both autocad and microstation wont read it correctly.
Reshaper is not so good at the export part. Its a really strong analysis tool, but we never manage to get a product we cna deliver to a customer.
Did you know you can just send objects back and forth between 3DReshaper and AutoCAD? That would be the easiest to get contour lines in AutoCAD. Just open 3DReshaper and AutoCAD at the same time, select the contours in Reshaper, click right and choose "Send to AutoCAD".

Jennifer
Jennifer
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by smacl »

Mark Francis wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:08 pm Not 3DReshaper sorry, but perhaps useful to be aware of for future:

https://leica-geosystems.com/en-GB/prod ... mapfactory

Leica Pegasus:Two with the pavement camera and MapFactory office software includes Road Analysis tools including Crack Index
Also not reshaper (and Pegasus 2U) and a bit late to the opening post but the way we do it is to create a reference surface, compute height differences to that reference surface and contour or colorise those. The height difference model, also called an isopachyte model, is a great way to pick out differences between any two surfaces rather than a single surface and a plane. It also works well on things like tunnels. The video below illustrates this for potholes if you jump to about 9 minutes in. For a road, if you have the original design model as a LandXML or CAD file this is ideal, alternatively as shown in the video you can easily create an ad-hoc reference model taking a coarse grid of levels at regular chainages. I'd guess you can do all of this in reshaper too. Note that you need a decent scanner for this type of work as you're searching for relatively small depressions in the surface.

youtu.be/ANfGf63zGck
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “Leica Cyclone 3DR”