RTC360 - who has one? What’s the status?

Discuss Leica Geosystems hardware here.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Full Name: Shane MacLaughlin
Company Details: Atlas Computers Ltd
Company Position Title: Managing Director
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: RTC360 - who has one? What’s the status?

Post by smacl »

gsisman wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:33 amThe E57 data did NOT carry over the HDR data when re-imported back into Register 360, not sure whether that was a limitation of the Reg 360 export vs. a Cyclone export or a limtation in the E57 format itself.
You can certainly store images in E57 files, see http://www.libe57.org/data.html so I doubt it is a format restriction, more likely just trying to keep file sizes down on export.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
Mark Francis
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter
Full Name: Mark Francis
Company Details: Leica Geosystems
Company Position Title: Geomatics Market Segment Manager

Post by Mark Francis »

DavidL wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:55 pm
gsisman wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:53 amThe main thing I can say "Dang fast" Medium scan , HDR images (3-12mp cameras 12 positions) done in 2:36 minutes complete! and ready to move.
I would love a 2.5 minute scan time with images. What is 'Medium' though... How many points per scan? I'm a Faro user so just interested how it compares.
Leica RTC360 scan resolutions.png
Medium is 42.3 Million points with a scan resolution of 6mm spacing @10m, taking 50 seconds, plus 60 seconds for optional spherical images.

As has been discussed, the optional double scan feature captures a second pass of the laser to automatically eliminate noise (public, pedestrians, traffic etc.) by only retaining the longest distance whether from the first pass or the second. This doubles the scan time obviously but tremendously saves time in the office cleaning rogue points.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1

Post by gsisman »

smacl wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:58 pm
gsisman wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:33 amThe E57 data did NOT carry over the HDR data when re-imported back into Register 360, not sure whether that was a limitation of the Reg 360 export vs. a Cyclone export or a limtation in the E57 format itself.
You can certainly store images in E57 files, see http://www.libe57.org/data.html so I doubt it is a format restriction, more likely just trying to keep file sizes down on export.
I wasn't questioning whether it could store images, but rather whether it stored the best average image of the HDR images. It seemed that the images that came across in the photo bubbles in ReCAP in the E57 file from the RTC360/Register 360 were not the best image (as seen in Register 360). We didn't get the file directly from Register 360 on the day of the demo-so I don't know WHERE exactly the E57 file came from -Cyclone or Reg 360.
The Register 260 software and the Jetstream Software I feel take all 3 or 5 images and store them in some form/compressed or otherwise to create the Auto-Brightening slider feature that is in the new version 1.5.
Auto_bright_slider_2018-09-18_1017.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by smacl »

Not sure how the RTC handles it, but for the Pegasus mobile LIDAR we stitch multiple flat images to form a single spherical image for each round of photographs. This is quite computationally intensive and involves blending overlap for mean brightness to create a seamless image, as well as a good chunk of maths to change the flat pixel coordinates into spherical coordinates. I'd expect this to be more likely handled by desktop software and then re-packaged, which is why it possibly isn't in the E57 files. Personally I think it is a great idea to package image data with the point cloud as it does add quite a lot of value, once the resolution is fit for purpose for the desired application. We typically generate 3 spherical jpegs 108000x5400x24 (for rgb, depth & intensity) which leaves the image file storage roughly about the same as the LAS point cloud storage.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

e57 is a very flexible format, but vendor support for its features leaves a lot to be desired. I don't think there is any technical reason that Leica (or any of the other vendors pitching scanners with "HDR" imagery) couldn't save out the scans as e57 files that link to standard exr image files containing the full dynamic range captured by the bracketed image sequence that was shot. Instead it's easier for them to just kick out an automatically tone-mapped pseduo-HDR so that's what we get.

At the moment, from an imaging standpoint, we're effectively buying cameras that claim to shoot RAW, but really only shoot jpgs. I can't wait for one of the vendors to buck that trend and unleash more of the power that they've built in to their hardware.
Jed
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jedfrechette »

smacl wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pmWe typically generate 3 spherical jpegs 108000x5400x24 (for rgb, depth & intensity)
This is another great use case for exrs. All of that data for a single bubble could be stored in a single exr as different channels completely losslessly.
Jed
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by smacl »

jedfrechette wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:15 pm
smacl wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pmWe typically generate 3 spherical jpegs 108000x5400x24 (for rgb, depth & intensity)
This is another great use case for exrs. All of that data for a single bubble could be stored in a single exr as different channels completely losslessly.
Hadn't heard of exrs, every day's a school day, google points me to the OpenEXR format. Is it widely used in scanning? We see GeoTIFFs a fair bit for UAV models as DSMs but not much else for multi-layer / spatial images,
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module
DavidL
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: David Lander
Company Details: Thames Valley Police Authority
Company Position Title: Crime Scene Surveyor

Post by DavidL »

Mark Francis wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:19 am Medium is 42.3 Million points with a scan resolution of 6mm spacing @10m, taking 50 seconds, plus 60 seconds for optional spherical images.
That's some impressive speed... ideal for crime scene work. For busy scenes I'm thinking I'd want to double up on images too so I can remove people and cars, may as well at only 60 secs.
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by jedfrechette »

smacl wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:59 am Hadn't heard of exrs, every day's a school day, google points me to the OpenEXR format. Is it widely used in scanning?
I haven't seen it used widely in scanning, but it is pretty much the defacto standard for people who work with HDR images. It's deep support for half-float images makes it a lot more efficient than tifs, which many applications only support the full-float variety of.
Jed
smacl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by smacl »

jedfrechette wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:24 pm
smacl wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:59 am Hadn't heard of exrs, every day's a school day, google points me to the OpenEXR format. Is it widely used in scanning?
I haven't seen it used widely in scanning, but it is pretty much the defacto standard for people who work with HDR images. It's deep support for half-float images makes it a lot more efficient than tifs, which many applications only support the full-float variety of.
Good to know, I'll look at adding support for it in SCC so. Planning on adding ECW for the next release which also seems very popular for those with big UAV data.
Shane MacLaughlin
Atlas Computers Ltd
www.atlascomputers.ie

SCC Point Cloud module

Return to “Leica Geosystems”