RTC360 - who has one? What’s the status?

Discuss Leica Geosystems hardware here.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Steve Long
Company Details: Montgomery County DOT _ MD
Company Position Title: Land Survey Supervisor
Skype Name: gsisman1
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: RTC360 - who has one? What’s the status?

Post by gsisman »

RTC360 scanner demo. Though we didn't get to do the outdoor scan with targets (too much rain in the area- we did an indoor scan route with about 9 scans.
The first thing I noticed was that it was smaller than I thought
Custom Base with two Leica style LEMO connectors in it (Presumably one for service the other...
Adapter Puck needed to fit custom base (similar to a Leica Quick release but thicker) onto a Standard Tribrach.
The main thing I can say "Dang fast" Medium scan , HDR images (3-12mp cameras 12 positions) done in 2:36 minutes complete! and ready to move. Tracked the position well with very little adjustment on the Tablet Field 360 software (iOS or Android) (Almost identical to the Visual alignment in Reg 360). Rep was using a Samsung Tablet.
Little data is transferred to the tablet but enough to visualize [Either way it's a faster WIFI connection between the two (than what we experience with the BLK)- or the tablet is acting as a terminal to computation happening on the RTC itself ].
The lo-profile WIFI Antenna on the top of RTC are significant. Once the IMU/VIS position and partially visualized cloud data is at the tablet and aligned with Visual alignment -tapped optimize and registration link was compiled shown on the screen and sent back to the USB stick storage on the RTC (those links can be deleted later and intermediary scans added or links re-optimized. You can move around and even get scans out of order and do "Infill" between two groups of scans because of the IMU and VIS positioning.
Didn't get to see a job in a non-descript area outside with only target scans to align (the flat parking lot) :(

You can only take FULL HDR imagery or none. Time-wise this isn't an issue- size wise it is (2GB of imagery PER SETUP)

Download for the 9 scans thus took 35-40 minutes in Register 360 with cloud to cloud and Smart-align enabled.
Not sure if this was required and would have liked to see it as unregistered just to see how the Tablet "Registration" routine worked
Will post links when I get the data from the rep.
The data looked real good in Reg 360 after import. A geo-tag placed in one of the cloud from the Field 360 mobile app didn't seem to come across into Reg 360.
We have played with the Geotag and asset features of the newest v1.5 versions and Jetstream but only from the desktop. Supposedly Field 360 allows you to enter them in the field and the transfer to the Memory keys with the Registration data from the field.
Last edited by gsisman on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

You can only take FULL HDR imagery or none. Time-wise this isn't an issue- size wise it is (2GB of imagery PER SETUP)
My first request is/was HDR on/off as an option. Bugger "Earnest" .. my storage system is more important. ;-p
JWillen
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Jan Willen
Company Details: ELLIPS
Company Position Title: Surveyor

Post by JWillen »

Do you have any idea of the possibility to combine the RTC360 with Matterport (like the BLK does).
Chidanand
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chidanand G
Company Details: Kiyotek
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by Chidanand »

Looking forward for the details
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman »

Chidanand wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:42 am Looking forward for the details
As stated in an earlier post, didn't get to see all the features of this machine, including the auto-clean double scan (really useful in our noisy scenarios at intersections). We received only an E57 back from the demo along with a JSV jetstream file exported out of Register 360. The E57 data did NOT carry over the HDR data when re-imported back into Register 360, not sure whether that was a limitation of the Reg 360 export vs. a Cyclone export or a limtation in the E57 format itself. Also the coloring was poor on the imagery I felt for an array of 3-12mp cameras. AGain we were not examining the NATIVE RAW RTC files in Register 360 but rather the E57 re-import. The Jetstream viewer faired a little better, as far as the Auto-bright slider for the HDR imagery, but the stitching in some areas was suspect. The e57 file was definitely slimmed down and maybe stripped of the quality imagery before being sent to us as the 9 scan job was only 3.7gb and the Jetstream file was 2.5GB (the average compression size of a JS file is about 1/10 a normal Register 360 Project size which would indicate about 20-30GB project -that would match the 2GB imagery and medium scan per station that was earlier quoted.) An import into RECAp had similar results on an already register 9 station E57 file. We notice the definite increase in tightness of the cloud-2-cloud filt compared to the BLK scans we've done. (less than 3mm in almost all compared to our standard 4-7mm with the BLK) Which we normally scan in Medium Resolution.
The RTC has three scan settings for resolution like the BLK but not uniform (BLK= 360K, 180K, 90K). The RTC is High-2M, Medium-360K, Low-180k according to Anthony Paturzo the US National Sales Manager. We had done the demo scans in Med. = 360K/sec

A geo-tag that was applied on the Field 360 mobile software also did not carry through to Register 360 on the demo occasion, although the registration from the field for the most part came through except one link was dropped for some reason. Looks like there may be a few bugs in the software yet to be worked out.
The P50 demo was also hampered by THICK fog the next morning when we tried to scan from the top of a parking garage. We did do two long range test sub-scans in the fog and reached out pretty when we slowed the scans down even in that non conducive scenario (Pictures posted in a following post this week). Brian showed us a a P50 two station scan he did from either side of the Ohio River at Cincinatti showing both skylines and mutliple bridges full-span across the river (Remember though that at that range (1km) the scan points are pretty spread out even on fine mode 0.5' ?. There were some building faces in there caught at 3800'. So got a little taste but would like to see someone else's experience with the double scan on the RTC. Wish I could have gotten a hold of the RAW data from the RTC360 to play with myself as well as more long-range raw data on 360 scan on the P50.(that would have taken over an hour to collect on the highest settings though.

Fine scan in the fog
Wheaton_P50_distance_GArage_45_2018-09-17_0718.png
Farthest Clock Tower face
P50_clock_face2018-09-17_0719.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gsisman on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman »

jamesworrell wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 am
My first request is/was HDR on/off as an option. Bugger "Earnest" .. my storage system is more important. ;-p
James,

It is a five level HDR meaning 2 levels more than the BLK or P series- I believe helps with the Auto-brightening feature in Reg 360 and Jetstream -but for the size......trade-off?
jamesworrell
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: James Worrell
Company Details: Bennett and Francis
Company Position Title: Director

Post by jamesworrell »

At between 2 and 4 GB per STATION .. up to 100 stations a day? Do you _really_ need HDR?

At least perhaps an auto-blend option to nuke most of the data?

Customers are already complaining about download sizes .. and that is without colour at all, never mind 5 x the colour.
DavidL
I have made 90-100 posts
I have made 90-100 posts
Full Name: David Lander
Company Details: Thames Valley Police Authority
Company Position Title: Crime Scene Surveyor

Post by DavidL »

gsisman wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:53 amThe main thing I can say "Dang fast" Medium scan , HDR images (3-12mp cameras 12 positions) done in 2:36 minutes complete! and ready to move.
I would love a 2.5 minute scan time with images. What is 'Medium' though... How many points per scan? I'm a Faro user so just interested how it compares.
gsisman
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by gsisman »

jamesworrell wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:41 am At between 2 and 4 GB per STATION .. up to 100 stations a day? Do you _really_ need HDR?

At least perhaps an auto-blend option to nuke most of the data?

Customers are already complaining about download sizes .. and that is without colour at all, never mind 5 x the colour.
Yeah, I can't understand the no choice- HDR or nothing. I haven't been impressed with the HDR vs normal on the BLK and just to get the Auto-Brightness tool fully functional to their standards for their viewer seems a lot of overhead space. The reality of Storage has still not registered with their software developers. I guess they feel that since Jetstream is only one tenth the size of the normal files (and that is definitely their design for the 360 series instruments) that they can afford to load more imagery data space on top of it?? My personal opinion is Black & White Intensity is many times better than color anyway.
Chidanand
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Chidanand G
Company Details: Kiyotek
Company Position Title: Managing Director

Post by Chidanand »

gsisman wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:33 am
Chidanand wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:42 am Looking forward for the details
As stated in an earlier post, didn't get to see all the features of this machine, including the auto-clean double scan (really useful in our noisy scenarios at intersections). We received only an E57 back from the demo along with a JSV jetstream file exported out of Register 360. The E57 data did NOT carry over the HDR data when re-imported back into Register 360, not sure whether that was a limitation of the Reg 360 export vs. a Cyclone export or a limtation in the E57 format itself. Also the coloring was poor on the imagery I felt for an array of 3-12mp cameras. AGain we were not examining the NATIVE RAW RTC files in Register 360 but rather the E57 re-import. The Jetstream viewer faired a little better, as far as the Auto-bright slider for the HDR imagery, but the stitching in some areas was suspect. The e57 file was definitely slimmed down and maybe stripped of the quality imagery before being sent to us as the 9 scan job was only 3.7gb and the Jetstream file was 2.5GB (the average compression size of a JS file is about 1/10 a normal Register 360 Project size which would indicate about 20-30GB project -that would match the 2GB imagery and medium scan per station that was earlier quoted.) An import into RECAp had similar results on an already register 9 station E57 file. We notice the definite increase in tightness of the cloud-2-cloud filt compared to the BLK scans we've done. (less than 3mm in almost all compared to our standard 4-7mm with the BLK) Which we normally scan in Medium Resolution.
The RTC has three scan settings for resolution like the BLK but not uniform (BLK= 360K, 180K, 90K). The RTC is High-2M, Medium-360K, Low-180k according to Anthony Paturzo the US National Sales Manager. We had done the demo scans in Med. = 360K/sec

A geo-tag that was applied on the Field 360 mobile software also did not carry through to Register 360 on the demo occasion, although the registration from the field for the most part came through except one link was dropped for some reason. Looks like there may be a few bugs in the software yet to be worked out.
The P50 demo was also hampered by THICK fog the next morning when we tried to scan from the top of a parking garage. We did do two long range test sub-scans in the fog and reached out pretty when we slowed the scans down even in that non conducive scenario (Pictures posted in a following post this week). Brian showed us a a P50 two station scan he did from either side of the Ohio River at Cincinatti showing both skylines and mutliple bridges full-span across the river (Remember though that at that range (1km) the scan points are pretty spread out even on fine mode 0.5' ?. There were some building faces in there caught at 3800'. So got a little taste but would like to see someone else's experience with the double scan on the RTC. Wish I could have gotten a hold of the RAW data from the RTC360 to play with myself as well as more long-range raw data on 360 scan on the P50.(that would have taken over an hour to collect on the highest settings though.

Fine scan in the fog
Wheaton_P50_distance_GArage_45_2018-09-17_0718.png
Farthest Clock Tower face
P50_clock_face2018-09-17_0719.png
Thanks for the detailed information

Return to “Leica Geosystems”