I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Ondrej
Company Details: Barum Continental
Company Position Title: Researcher-Student
Linkedin Profile: No

How to scan 40 000 parts effectively?

Post by vondrej »

Hello

I work in a Continental group and iam currently doing research about 3D scanning. We are trying to digitalize our warehouse with spare parts but we don´t know how to do it. We are thinking about 3D scanning / 3D modeling / photographing (3D scanning is in interest of management = benefits if we use it). Our warehouse contains 40 000 parts so we are looking for a scan which can do fast scans, is easy to control and accuracy can be average becouse we need only compare shapes and don´t need details.

What I know that scanning parts have various shapes and sizes. They are spare parts of machines so sizes can be from dozens to thousands mm and lot of them can be symetrical. Materials are steel (shiny and matte) and plastic.

We have borrowed 3D scanner DAVID SLS-2 for a 3 weeks and I think it´s not the best way. Scanning, calibrating and aligning is too slow and you have to calibrate system after every part. Alignment of scans doesn´t work well in our case (rotary and symetrical parts). So is there any device which is preconfigured and is good to our purpose?

I have started to make research about 3D scanners on the market. I found lot of reviews but because DAVID is my only experience with 3D scanning i want to know opinion of people who knows lot about it and can give me some advices. Maybe this technology isn´t even suitable for this case.

Thank you for your replies
OK
Rikore
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bruce Yager
Company Details: Rikore Geomatics
Company Position Title: Department Head

Re: How to scan 40 000 parts effectively?

Post by Rikore »

The first question I would have for you is, are you just wanting to scan the warehouse with the parts or do you want to scan each part? Just scanning the warehouse with the parts on the shelves would be a simple task with any 3D laser scanner. We have scanned our parts rooms at our plant for the ability to walk through the areas on the computer to look at better ways to store the parts. We use Leica P40's or C10's along with hand held scanners.
vondrej
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by vondrej »

Sorry for missunderstanding. I want to scan only parts one by one,
3DForensics
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Full Name: Eugene Liscio
Company Details: AI2-3D Forensics
Company Position Title: Owner
Skype Name: eliscio

Post by 3DForensics »

You don't need to calibrate after scanning each part. I think from an efficiency standpoint, I would ask the following questions:

1. What accuracy do you need to achieve?
2. What is the size of parts you need to scan and break them out into ranges.
3. What are you planning to do with the data afterwards? Are you planning to put these into an online store or something like that? Do you need to make engineering drawings or even replicas?

I think from an efficiency standpoint you won't be using one scanner to do it all and you should also think about the hardware and software plus storage for that many parts.

Also, you can often just create a 3D model in Rhino or other 3D modeling software for symmetrical parts like washers and screws much easier than scanning.

Eugene
walkerrichard
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Richard Walker
Company Details: Point Cloud Solutions
Company Position Title: Canadian Distributor for GeoSLAM Scanner
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by walkerrichard »

If you want easy to manage tablet scans with onboard file management and great portability then we can show you Dot Poduct's approach, with a full kits and software under $5750.00 USD

The Point Clouds will export to any software, and have an image file which is toggle on off laid on top. We have done lots of inventory work in 3D (so not just a single angle image) for ship fittings and civil engineering like bridge plates and rivets.

But the point cloud spacing is 2mm, and the accuracy over a 3m by 3m component may be .5 cm off overall as an estimate.

Check out https://www.dotproduct3d.com/

You can contact me for some multi scanner kit package and pre designed workflow ideas too.

Cheers
Richard Walker
Rikore
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Bruce Yager
Company Details: Rikore Geomatics
Company Position Title: Department Head

Post by Rikore »

I agree with Richard. We use the Dot Product scanner for areas that are hard for a scanner like the P40 to get. The Dot Product does a great job on parts. If all the parts and warehouse need to be linked in one file, scan the parts with the hand scanner and the warehouse with a scanner like the P40.
walkerrichard
I have made 50-60 posts
I have made 50-60 posts
Full Name: Richard Walker
Company Details: Point Cloud Solutions
Company Position Title: Canadian Distributor for GeoSLAM Scanner

Post by walkerrichard »

I agree with Bruce (and myself!).

Here is an example we did in heritage - same process will drop your "BIM" inventory models in a master environment scan. You can even "slide" virtual heavy objects around and place them better in your scan/warehouse without lifting a finger or hiring a piano mover!

youtu.be/eaOwT5UKsyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaOwT5UKsyw

I have the scanners, just let me know.

RW
vondrej
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts

Post by vondrej »

We want to scan all that pieces because of practical reason. If some parts of machines are broken they are often old and they don´t have any indication so maintenance must go to the warehouse and try to find that piece out of all things what we have here. The idea is that we would scan all parts and make 3D models and if something happens maintenance just take a picture of that broken part and software compares picture with all models and say: ok, that can be that or that part.

Iam sorry but i do not want to scan enviroment. I want to scan only spare parts. I apologise for bad expressing.

@3DForensics
What accuracy do I need? I think we don´t need super cool accuracy. We just need to make good shape. I would say 0.1-0.5 mm.
What is the size of parts? Lot of parts are small up to 300x300x300 mm. Parts are for example spherical pins, coils, bearing housing, filters, etc..
What do i do with it afterwards? As i said before we use it in our database.

Of course some parts are easier to model than to scan. Symetrical parts must have target or some surface finish. Maybe is better to use SLS method than laser method.

I hope i explained our plan successfully to you and If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thank you for your reply
OK
TommyMaddox
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Tommy R Maddox III
Company Details: ONSITE3D
Company Position Title: Director of Technology

Post by TommyMaddox »

With the part count, part size, and desired accuracy requirements, have you considered using a FARO Cobalt Imager and a turntable? Or a couple units in an array?

https://www.faro.com/products/factory-m ... ay-imager/

Where are you located?
jedfrechette
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Jed Frechette
Company Details: Lidar Guys
Company Position Title: CEO and Lidar Supervisor

Post by jedfrechette »

vondrej wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:14 am The idea is that we would scan all parts and make 3D models and if something happens maintenance just take a picture of that broken part and software compares picture with all models and say: ok, that can be that or that part.
That sounds like a major R&D project. Once you've got 3D models for everything doing this kind of matching is going to be a non-trivial problem.

Is there any reason you couldn't just skip the 3D part and implement the whole process with photos? Certainly the process of Content Based Image Retrieval using photos is much more mature than anything you're going to find for 3D data. I wouldn't be surprised if there are already off the shelf inventory management systems that do what you want using photos.
Jed

Return to “Request Help With Projects”