V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service
Company Position Title: Owner
Linkedin Profile: No

Re: Thread for SCENE software additions/enhancements

Post by Scott »

Scott wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:50 pm ...
Evenly spaced, batched slices are already featured in Scene, but I'd like to select where the individual sections are placed (batched as well). Use (visible) grid or section markers to indicate where the sections are cut. This becomes the 'Plan Key' (screen shot) for the batched produced slices.

Please give us an option to make 'Orthogonal' the default 3D window visibility setting. Perspective views are nice for postcards, but not the standard for most deliverables.
To elaborate on the earlier post from 2015 -give us a 'slice generator' tool to produce uniform, sequenced slices (we pick where we want them) that can be stacked precisely, annotated, cut and pasted into layouts, and/or used for (GIF) animations.
Thanks for listening! ~S
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Felix_the_Cat
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Felix
Company Details: Lockheed Martin
Company Position Title: Senior Member Engineering Staff

Thread for SCENE software additions/enhancements

Post by Felix_the_Cat »

flohrd wrote:
Felix_the_Cat wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:07 am Import of textured models please
Would .obj work for you?

YES!
Felix_the_Cat wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:07 am
Ability to save a selection and toggle it's visibility please
There is actually a way of doing this. It was meant to be used in another way but you can create a selection and fit a mean point.
In the model tree there will be a point fit object below the 3d point.
Right click this fit object and click "select" and it will recreate the original selection.
Maybe this helps.
Ok I will give it a try. I need to generate IS/WAS orthophotos to show old equipment leaving and new equipment arriving. So I select and delete the old equipment, and import a model in its place. Heavily textured typically, so obj would be fabulous. I'd rather be able to keep the portion I select and hide it, rather than deleting it. Currently, I use clipping boxes to hide the old equipment but this is annoying time consuming and doesn't work for orthophotos.

Edit: I didn't stop to read your post and digest what you put down. Humblest apologies. That works fine! Thank you kindly

Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Felix_the_Cat on Mon May 14, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAttaya
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: SAttaya
Company Details: Sev1Tech
Company Position Title: Sr Software Analyst-RemoteSensingEngr

Post by SAttaya »

SAttaya wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:06 am I'd like to have a place to make requests (other than the official FARO website) for changes/enhancements/etc (but not bugs, those should go to the official FARO website) so I'm starting the ball rolling.

A suggestion should be complete and have a reason. Maybe a suggestion for implementation realizing different customers have different resources. (mine: 8 threads/4 cores, 32GB RAM, no page file, SSD for processing SCENE data, both project and temp, HDD/NAS for storage of non-current projects, Quadro K5000M.)

My first one is:
When first saving .fls's(flat file) from SDHC card import (.FLS folder), SCENE appears to be single threaded.
I'd like for it to be multiThreaded, one thread per .FLS in/.fls out.
It appears that "all" it has to do is read the .FLS folder for each scan, unpack and apply first time filters and then write a "flat" .fls.

Probably should have that standard number of cpu's picker that building a project point cloud has
and make a note that if you are not putting the flat fls file to an SSD, this way may be slower (although, it appears if you look at resource monitor it has periods of lots of I/O followed by ones of no or little I/O).

We all have lots of scans for most projects.

Now there may be some good reason this can not happen. That's fine, if someone from FARO would just tell us
what it is. Would appear from the outside to be something that would be relatively trivial if the unpacking code could be made a standalone thread, and one thread was released per input .FLS folder for up to the number of
processors specified (limited?) by the user.

Alternatively, maybe by useing more RAM they could do fewer I/O's and do them in larger chunks (which would help with the SSDs, right; and wouldn't hurt with HDDs (which people who care about performance shouldn't be using for this process anyway and they could just limit their .FLS/folder to .fls/file to one CPU and get the current performance.)

So there are two (2) thoughts here:
1. a place to make requests (other than the official FARO website) for changes/enhancements/etc
(this would also give others a chance to expand upon/improve/etc those requests/suggestions.)
2. my first entry - multi thread conversion from .FLS folders to .fls files (yes, I've got more...let's see of this gets a positive response)

And of course, I realize that FARO probably has an internal list of mods/enhancements. I'm just looking for a way to get things that I see of value onto that list, hopefully by getting some user push for it.

update: I missed this post not too long ago: http://laserscanningforum.com/forum/vie ... =89&t=9270
Daniel Flohr,

can you comment on the 2nd of the above specific requests?
Felix_the_Cat
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Felix
Company Details: Lockheed Martin
Company Position Title: Senior Member Engineering Staff

Post by Felix_the_Cat »

Also

Ability to control the size and font of dimension labels please

Currently there is some fixed size hidden in the guts of scene somewhere, so if you increase resolution on an animation the labels get SMALLER, relatively speaking.

Also, ability to NOT show the yellow overall dimension line if you choose to only horizontal or vertical portions of the dimension. It just looks messy and is confusing to customers. I always have to explain it. Just another checkbox to suppress it in the dialog.

Thanks for listening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simon Judd
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: simon judd
Company Details: Precision Air Surveys Limited

Post by Simon Judd »

Hi All

If anyone is going to GeoBusiness on Tuesday 22nd May 2018. Faro are running a North Europe User Forum.

At 13:45-15:00 there is an Open forum discussion concerning what it is users require in the future and how Faro can do better.

This will be the perfect opportunity to raise some of these issues.

I will be there and hope that those of you attending will also pop in so that we can all discuss our wishes and gripes.

Simon
LPaulCook
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: L Paul Cook
Company Details: Land surveyor doing LiDAR
Company Position Title: President
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by LPaulCook »

I'm in California so I won't be able to attend on the 22nd so please bring up all of the above suggestions.

I am going to the SPAR conference in early June in Anahime CA. I hope to meet up with you guys there then.

Also, regarding display of measurements i sure would like to control the number of places to be shown. It makes no sense to show 4 places past the descemial point when using feet. Nobody is that accurate.

I also agree with the comment above. With 4K screens this is an important issue.

Thanks!!
Paul Cook, PLS
L. Paul Cook, PLS
www.LPC3D.com
JMontie
I have made 80-90 posts
I have made 80-90 posts
Full Name: James Montie
Company Details: ReCon Engineering
Company Position Title: Piping Designer

Post by JMontie »

I would like to cut a thin slice with a clipping plane and them be able to drag that thin slice through the scan project keeping the same thickness.
SAttaya
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: SAttaya
Company Details: Sev1Tech
Company Position Title: Sr Software Analyst-RemoteSensingEngr

Post by SAttaya »

Properties > transformation (will change location, allow changes to size of clipping box)
scankukai
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scan ku kaï
Company Details: Scankukai
Company Position Title: CEO
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Post by scankukai »

Hi,

We finally managed to do it: an efficient clipping box manager.

Size, orientation*, translation, thickness, rotation, camera alignment.

Orthos and exports should be much easier to do.

We are in the final test, and we will also add other really nice features that will extend Scene's capabilities.

*along the project axis, along 2 points, a plane, or even a cylinder.
Scott
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Scott Page
Company Details: Scott Page Design- Architectural service

Post by Scott »

Tgl_Nan wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:35 am Hi,
We finally managed to do it: an efficient clipping box manager.
Size, orientation*, translation, thickness, rotation, camera alignment.
Orthos and exports should be much easier to do.
We are in the final test, and we will also add other really nice features that will extend Scene's capabilities.
*along the project axis, along 2 points, a plane, or even a cylinder.
+1

Return to “FARO SCENE”