Mobile line laserscanner

ABA Mobile Mapper, IGI StreetMapper, Leica Pegasus One & Two, MDL Dynascan, RIEGL VMX450, STORMBEE BEEMOBILE, Topcon IP-S2, Trimble MX50, etc.
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Malte Holm
Company Details: TLS
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Mobile line laserscanner

Post by MalteHC »

Hi guys

I am investigating Rail mesureing, as a part of my master thesis as surveying engineer.
I am looking for a system to collect data about the Rails ballast profile.
The system needs to run at a speed of at least 80 km/h and still collect the data in a high density.
Therefore i think that a system with a linescanner is the way to go, on this one.
Does anyone know if there is any systems on the market, that suits this needs?
Most of the systems use 360 lasers, but there point density is just to low at 80 km/h.
MalteHC
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member
Full Name: Malte Holm
Company Details: TLS
Company Position Title: Surveyor
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: Mobile line laserscanner

Post by MalteHC »

Is there any panorama scanner or something like it, that collects points faster for a limited view, than a 360 degree scanner does?
cadcoke5
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Joe Dunfee
Company Details: Tropical
Company Position Title: Engineer
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by cadcoke5 »

I have a different application, for which I suspect a line-type of laser scanner is a better choice. My company designs and installs equipment in existing facilities. Point cloud type of scanners have the issue of often missing points on the truss system on a roof, and other details like electrical conduit, that can interfere with our equipment. I am not seeking a detail drawing of the entire truss system, but at least the lower portion.

None of the systems that I have seen, that are capable of scanning something on the scale of a 200'x200' warehouse, use this sort of structured light scanning. I suppose it is reasonable to use both types of scanners. The Time-of-Flight system is good for catching walls. And the roof is never more than perhaps 35'.

I would think that at least up to a room-scale scanner would do well with a laser fan type of scanner, and be very cheap to manufacture. But, they don't seem to exist either. At that level, they seem to concentrate on the structured dots, like the Occipital scanner technology that is used in the Tango project. But, even at room scale, their technology seems to be too inaccurate for any real use, other than to put a dancing dinosaur on your table, when viewed through your table.

-joe
BogdanM
I have made <0 posts
I have made <0 posts
Full Name: Bogdan Mazalu
Company Details: NR Infrastructure
Company Position Title: Programme Survey Manager
Linkedin Profile: No

Post by BogdanM »

Try google RILA from Fugro, Omnicom also have done something. They have drveloped a few systems for capturing scan £ imagery data at speeds up to 80mph(130kph) and faster.
There are systems with 2 or 3 scanners, cameras & IMUs mounted in front of the train, syncronised and with different incident angles to the dinamic trajectory.

Return to “Mobile Scanners”