ReCap Pro questions

Discuss Autodesk ReCap Studio software here.
FaroMan
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts
Full Name: Dargo Pulk
Company Details: Hades Geodeesia
Company Position Title: Surveyor

ReCap Pro questions

Post by FaroMan »

Hello

I am quite new to using Recap, but I haven't find any answers yet, so hope someone could help me here.
So...
I have a very big laser scan project over 400 scans and we noticed that recap puts them together better than Scene did. Scene had steps on walls and stuff. Although recap takes a lot of time, it did it better. I want to know whats important for recap when putting scans together.
I only show points from one scan overlap, but does it use all the other scans too that have overlap when it refines the scan or something?
How much overlap recap needs for targetless registration? More overlap, more accurate? We found that recap did targetless registration better than Scene with spheres and targets. How to seperate different floors in a building? Why can't I create group from scan locations or have I missed something?

And question from another project. We had a floor monitoring survey and we used scanner and survey control. We had 6 targets and we did a survey 3 times over 6 months. I did scans registration in recap every survey was a new project and wanted to connect them with survey target coordinates, but the pointcloud won't move to right place. I mean I connected 3 recap projects with survey points and they should be at he same place when opened all project files in autocad for example but they are now. How I get pointcloud to align with survey points?

Thank you all for your help.
DanielNMP87
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts
Full Name: Daniel Neagu
Company Details: XYZ
Linkedin Profile: Yes

Re: ReCap Pro questions

Post by DanielNMP87 »

Hi, did you have GPS coordinates for your targets?
DanielNMP87
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by DanielNMP87 »

Also what do you mean by separate floors? If you import the RCP file in AutoCad you can turn off scans if you don't need them.
FaroMan
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by FaroMan »

DanielNMP87 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:05 pm Hi, did you have GPS coordinates for your targets?
Hi,

Yes I had coordinates.
FaroMan
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by FaroMan »

DanielNMP87 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:09 pm Also what do you mean by separate floors? If you import the RCP file in AutoCad you can turn off scans if you don't need them.
I mean that for example in Scene I can easily make clusters from each floor and export them seperately, but in Recap it takes so much time to put all same floor scan locations into same folder. If you have about 300 scans per floor and 5 floors then this single .rcs file would be massive and won't export, so we try to export every floor seperately. Is there an easier way??
DanielNMP87
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by DanielNMP87 »

Well, as far as i know you can export an RCP file directly from Scene (i'm not a Scene user I use Cyclone and Recap). But you can export big files from Recap, i exported a rcs formed of 1800 scans, it depends on the specs of your PC.
If the the file from Scene is georeferenced you can export piece by piece in Recap and then in Autocad, then they should go where they are supposed to go in Cad.
dmanning
I have made 60-70 posts
I have made 60-70 posts
Full Name: Dustin Manning
Company Details: luxpoint
Company Position Title: Owner

Post by dmanning »

My reply may not be answering your question directly but I hope you find it helpful. A lot of opinions follow.

Advantages of Scene over Recap for registration
1. faster, recap has always taken too long for me to bother with registration ( I used to work as support for Autodesk software, BTW)
2. more flexible, Scene handles survey control better than scene.
3. simpler, tracking down registration issues is quite simple in scene whereas recap feels more like a hail mary registration
4. verifiable, I believe it's easier to validate accuracy in scene

Workflow recommendations.
1. Use cloud to cloud for single floors, as long as it's not a huge open room.
2. Use targets to connect from floor to floor
3. once registration is complete in scene, index them in recap projects with an appropriate amount of scans in each project that would be sensible to work with.

I'm not saying you shouldn't use Recap if it works for you. The above suggestions is what works for me. I also believe that your last question about your control survey not aligning in Recap would work very easily in Scene. I would recommend using more than 3 control points, btw. If any of those targets are off you don't have any redundancy to fall back on.

Cheers!
FaroMan
I have made 10-20 posts
I have made 10-20 posts

Post by FaroMan »

Thank you for your answers.
I have one more question about survey control with Recap.
We had 6 targets and they are all coordinated, but when I try to import .txt fail to Recap and tell it which point is to be aligned with it just does not connect them. If that matters, we added survey points later, after point cloud was registred and indexed, do I need to put survey points at registration phase or why can't I do that later?
DanielNMP87
I have made 20-30 posts
I have made 20-30 posts

Post by DanielNMP87 »

hey,

You can add coordinates after indexing if you want, just go to registration tab then after its open find and identify the scans with the targets, you might have problems with the import of the txt file but thats because of the way the txt contains the information...you can just type in the XYZ and then press the survey point button.
Hope it helps.

Return to “Autodesk ReCap Studio”